Building a bow-mount for trolling motor

urbanredneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys. I know this is a very common subject. I've spent hours pouring over the internet looking for ideas, haven't found anything specific enough that relates to what im working with. I own a 87 Mirrocraft Northport Troller. Similar to the photos. I Have a casting platform at the front. Also has a V shaped piece of aluminum attached to the two halfs of the boat up front with a nav light on top. I figured id just build a very simple box to elevate the space between the platform and the edge of the boat,with a 2x4 coming off that over the edge and attach the motor to that. Doesn't sound very secure to me. I would also like the option of a quick release pull up mechanism to pull the Minn-Kota up out the water when approaching obstructions and/or motoring with the main motor. Short of using some type of door hinge, im lost. Iv seen the "gator mounts " ( i think thats what they're called) , made by Motorguide which is essentially what id like to build. They are spendy and very complex. Was hoping for some ideas. I currently have the motor mounted on the front side of the bow, at the 1 o clock position with a small piece of wood on each side of the clamps. It works. But the motor isnt centered, and bounces around a lot while moving. Also requires completely un mounting if i want it secured enough to WOT. Pain in the butt to say the least. Thanks for any help. These are photos of a very similar boat I got off Google. Not my boat. Again, thanks

Attachments

• photo243412.png
    photo243412.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • photo243413.png
    photo243413.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Centering the motor isn't that critical, a pic of your boat would help

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Buy a bow mount trolling motor, drill holes, add screws, wire it and go fishing.
bm1.jpg

or clamp on a transom trolling motor at the bow with one of these brackets and go fishing
s731125377394031289_p1_i3_w1024.jpeg
http://www.fishonfabrications.com/store/p1/Trolling_Motor_Bow_Mount_Bracket_for_Transom_Motors.html

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The foot operated ones are generally off center by 4 to 8 inches.

So... bolt a 2X6 on edge to a chunk of plywood which is then attached to the boat with aluminum angle and stainless screws.

Cover where the trolling motor isn't with some matching carpet.

Last edited:

urbanredneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Buy a bow mount trolling motor, drill holes, add screws, wire it and go fishing.
bm1.jpg

or clamp on a transom trolling motor at the bow with one of these brackets and go fishing
s731125377394031289_p1_i3_w1024.jpeg
http://www.fishonfabrications.com/store/p1/Trolling_Motor_Bow_Mount_Bracket_for_Transom_Motors.html

If i could afford what they ask for a bow mount, yes, id do that.

BUT. That second photo is the idea im thinking of. I think i could build something like that. And it's still mounted horizontally with the clamps, so id still be able to tilt it up out of the water.

Now, just how to build something identical to that device....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a wedge of oak glued to the outside of the gunwale near the bow that I clamp my trolling motor onto. it came off a pallet I was throwing into my fire pit so it didnt cost me a dime other than the two small dabs of 5200.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You never operate the boat under power with the troller deployed. That's a good way to lose it entirely or at least bend/break the shaft. And as was pointed out, the motor does not need to be centered on the bow. It should be mounted so the shaft follows the side of the boat to keep it out of the center and in peoples way.

urbanredneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You never operate the boat under power with the troller deployed. That's a good way to lose it entirely or at least bend/break the shaft. And as was pointed out, the motor does not need to be centered on the bow. It should be mounted so the shaft follows the side of the boat to keep it out of the center and in peoples way.

Would have thought it was clear i didn't mean i was trying to run with the trolling motor in the water.
It gets folded up anytime im under way.

But lately iv been having to completely unmount it and lay it in the boat. Trying to make some type of device that i can fold it back into the boat and back out quickly. The rivers i fish can go from 30ft to 1ft in seconds sometimes Theres little to no time to mess with it.

And yeah i got the point about it not needing to be centered....

Anyways. I figured id just buy something like the 2nd photo above. Strangely, Minn Kota doesn't make any simple bow mount brackets that i can find. Its all accessories for the top dollar wireless motors.

Thanks for the replies everyone.