My first boat - Restoring an 18 footer !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtsumedi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My first boat - Restoring an 18 footer !!!

Looking at that kind of work makes me not want to restore my boat. As stated before, the bar has been set high! I don't think I can make my boat look as nice as that but I will try.

Congrats, that thing looks great and you guys did an awesome job.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

mtsumedi...

welcome to i boats....

i gotta admit that trying to get your boat looking that good will be hard.

remember tho...he paid professionals to do that...

the whole reason for posting picks like that is so we can enjoy along with the owner... not to scare us from one of the more gratifing experiances we can have....rebuilding your own boat is not a thing most people have the inner stuff to even think about !!!! hats off to ya for havin what it takes to even try!!!
you hear guys on this forum whining about sore backs...itching like crazy...but thru it all...you can tell they're havin a ball !
look again at these picks and think about what you like, and what you want...and build it!
personally that console design really caught me, and inspired me to re fab the whole dashboard of my boat with thoes curvy modern lines! made me wanna even do a better job!
keep yer head up and have fun!

oops

pontooner

Seaman Apprentice

Wow!!!! I really enjoyed watching and reading about this restoration. The final product is awesome. Geat Job;)!!!

hdradaza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

mtsumedi and oops - right on... I have done my own work before but like I said, I don't have the time to do it. So I did pay to get the job done. Mine was purely the design, that's why I used google sketchup (3d design) and photoshop.

I did have to check on it everyday though to make sure I got the results I wanted. They still tend to slack off and skip a few things here and there to get the job done.

I have been too busy and no boating season yet here in the philippines so I haven't posted any pictures yet of the sound system set up and a close up shot of the console with all the instrumens attached on to it already.

Should anyone need any help with any of the steps above or would like advice design wise (though i've only done 1 boat!) do not hesitate to drop me a line. By the way, the 3d application sketchup is free for anyone and really easy to use. just google sketchup.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

you hear guys on this forum whining about sore backs...itching like crazy...but thru it all...you can tell they're havin a ball !

I wonder, if there weren't some truth in that, would I spend at least some time every single day working on the boat or trailer for at least a little while, even if I have to go to work later? ;)

CapriRestorer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice Work!! This just shows how you can restore an old boat that most people wouldn't even mess with. It shows pride!!

Thanks for sharing your Project!!

mtsumedi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mtsumedi and oops - right on... I have done my own work before but like I said, I don't have the time to do it. So I did pay to get the job done. Mine was purely the design, that's why I used google sketchup (3d design) and photoshop.

I did have to check on it everyday though to make sure I got the results I wanted. They still tend to slack off and skip a few things here and there to get the job done.

I have been too busy and no boating season yet here in the philippines so I haven't posted any pictures yet of the sound system set up and a close up shot of the console with all the instrumens attached on to it already.

Should anyone need any help with any of the steps above or would like advice design wise (though i've only done 1 boat!) do not hesitate to drop me a line. By the way, the 3d application sketchup is free for anyone and really easy to use. just google sketchup.

You live in the Phillipines? My brother in law is from there.

hdradaza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes I sure do... I used to live in Sacramento and the Bay Area during my college years before I moved back to the philippines.

I live in a small island called Lapu Lapu City right beside the more well known Cebu City. Lots of small islands for us to hop around near by!

phonedrn8

Seaman Apprentice

nice resto job how much u put into it?

Jrock

Cadet

WOW!! I hope someday I could get so indepth with something like that. Awesome dude.

jonesg

Admiral

Hehehe, Lapu-lapu is across the bridge from Cebu right?
Named after chief lapu. I saw the statue.

My wife is from Talisay. We live in Boston now.

Guys, you have to see what these people can do with their hand tools to appreciate their talents, I watched them laying up fibreglass bathroom fixtures right by the roadside, Jeeps being cup in half and extended into mini buses (jeepneys) , just really clever stuff.
Thats why the Saudi Sahara region is flooded with Philippino's doing contract work, they aren't afraid to do a full days work in blistering sunlight and they have skill to boot. If they all went home, nothing would get built.

We're planning to move to Cebu in 10 yrs.

hdradaza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry it took so long to update this thread. I last left off needing to put more pictures up regarding the sound system install. Well I finally went back to the boat and took her down 2 weeks ago.

Lets start with the console which we fabricated from scratch. :

Above the steering wheel is the PolyPlanar waterproof CD player.
Bottom right is the switch panel.

2369027426_95442aa655.jpg

All 4 speakers being used for mids and highs are 6.5" Focals (seperates).

Here is a shot of the rear portside
2368195947_651914bcc5.jpg

rear starboard
2369034640_161a06ea94.jpg

front speakers
2368203389_684505d4e7.jpg

1 - 12" Kicker subwoofer (under the console)
2368211377_e9a8d86c2e.jpg

Amplifier (inside the console accessible from the front)
2368207973_77df616ba3.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner

drool drool.....

hey bud...good to see ya again.....

thanks for the update

lundnisswa

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is one fascinating Boat Rebuild.
Great work!
Can you post more pictures of that console while it is being glassed up?
Quite a piece of work you put together!

Congrats on a job well done.
Lund

hdradaza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And the bottom part of the console that holds the subwoofer and amplifier.

the subwoofer is facing down on the drivers feet if the driver is seated.

2368215155_0f34a1e381.jpg

So far the audio setup has not given me any problems at all. I have two battery banks to protect me draining the batteries.

hdradaza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok I tried to dig up as much as I could...

Lets start with the old console which I took out:
2369295543_1a9db1c4de.jpg

When I first saw this, I couldn't quite imagine yet how it would turn out. We placed it in the boat to get an actual fitting for height and width.
2369276195_eb7ca57421.jpg

Here is the "cloth" stage where they stretch fabric over it to get the nice curved and rounded look.
2369302451_89c558ca5a.jpg

Then this. A lot of sanding to get the edges just right.
2369304657_5ca69b7d7a.jpg

After painting, we fitting it again for the stands.
2370142298_7cfc9c3d0c.jpg

hdradaza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got the stands under the the console and the recline in front with an access panel which leads straight to the inside of the console.
2369284769_7c5a58fb22.jpg

Painted accents of gray to give contrast to the Red theme.
2370133508_d4dc160481.jpg

2369300635_9283dd5db3.jpg

With all the instruments:
2369027426_95442aa655.jpg

lundnisswa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for digging those photos up, very clever.
So if I understand it correctly, after you stretched the cloth, you glassed over that, the stretched cloth gave you your form. That would be some tricky work.
Lund

hdradaza

Petty Officer 3rd Class

lundiswa, yes that is correct. However, i did not do the work. I hired locals who are into customizing subwoofer boxes for cars (pimp my ride???). High end mobile audio stuff.

I don't exactly know the process but was told (so I took pictures) that they use the cloth to create the form. So if you see in the skeleton picture, they were all the main parts which give the edges of the cloth. Would really take a wild imagination to be able to put it together. I somewhat learned that there actually is 7 different stages in glassing it I think. I don't do fiberglass either so this is all new to me.

kadesdad07

Seaman Apprentice

You can certainly see the hard work you put into it and it looks great. Good job!!

Status
Not open for further replies.