Winter refit - transom

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Winter refit - transom

I've always LOVED how Nonchalant people who are experienced with 'glass are when they make a mistake like this... I've been there myself! That's the beauty of fiberglass, though- You can fix ANYTHING.

-Andrew

Yeah.. if you're not needing to fix broken structure or cracked/crushed glass, holes in the hull are one of the easiest repairs to make on a boat. The only hard thing about repairing them is making them look good from the outside, and this hole is in a spot where it can't be seen anyway.

I think the only reason I mentioned it at all is that it was a stupid, avoidable mistake that is going to cause me work, and publicizing something like that is part of my way of encouraging myself to be more careful in the future :)

Erik

erikgreen

Captain

Last night was grinding. Lots and lots of grinding.

I think there's an inch of dust in places inside the hull, and that was with the dust collector running. I kept having music running through my head while looking around: "It's beginning to look a lot like christmas" and "white christmas". Sheesh.

I'd like to say I'm done grinding but as I sit here I can remember a couple more spots where glass should come off. I'm being a perfectionist... since I'm doing this I'll do it as well as I can.

So, the transom is almost clean at this point, just part of those black glue pads to go. I used the sawzall again to shave off a little bit more of the remaining bigger pieces of glass and wood on the sides and bottom of the hull... the more I can cut the less has to be ground. I also went after the remaining fillets and glued on wood with some 24 grit flap discs from harbor freight. These cut really well when new. I ran through 5 of them, going to get more today. The big grinder worked well too, mostly on the bottom and sides.. it's heavy to hold up for very long, but that works in your favor on the bottom.

I think I've taken about 4-5 hours total to grind maybe a third of the hull inside at this point. If I had the rest of the hull demoed down I'd do that too, because I'd like to avoid these marathon grinding sessions in the future. Even with the full suit on you can't avoid itching a little. Plus the door to the rest of the house was open some and the dust drifted in a bit.

Oh, well, it's got to be done.

Erik

BobsGlasstream

Commander

erikgreen,
Well, I said I wanted to see the green suit and I did. It looks like you have plenty of perfection, but we all know that the dust will find a way in. Let the itch begin, at least you have done pretty much everything you can to minimize it. :p
What type dust collector did you pick up?
I'd like to say I'm done grinding but as I sit here I can remember a couple more spots where glass should come off. I'm being a perfectionist... since I'm doing this I'll do it as well as I can.
I agree with your statement too.
If you are going to do a job, you should at least do it the best you can.
Keep the pic's coming.
Bob

erikgreen

Captain

I ended up getting a "portable mini" dust collector from HF in their after christmas sale, because it was an open box. Cost about $85, which was really more than I should have spent, but I really want to control the dust better.

It does help a lot, although I have to be careful about larger chunks getting into the blower... maybe equip it with a collection box in front of it for the larger bits to fall into, so they're not dragged through the motor.

More pics soon... last night was episode 2 of grinding. I went through 6 24 grit flap discs. Buying more today. The sides and transom are done, the only way I could work more on them is with sandpaper, and I prefer them rough.

The only thing left is the hull bottom's top surface, which has everything from the base of the old motor mounts to bits of wood from the stringers to a rotten piece of wood that was for mounting the bilge pump embedded. I even am having to grind out pooled resin from my own work and the original build. In places I'm sculpting the bilge with the grinder out of thick resin, like the engine bilge where Sea Ray put a half inch layer of chopped glass as a pad.

I'm hoping to finish the hull grinding tonight... I want to get most of the excess glass out (except where it's solid and not really in the way) so I can install new structure in the aft section of the boat right after the transom is installed.

I'll still have to do more grinding on the front two thirds of the boat to work on those areas, but they should be less heavily built than the transom and bilge.

I generated about 2 inches of dust last night covering about 10 square feet of the work area, not counting the stuff that went into the dust collector, shop vac, or stuck to my suit. I'm tempted to use some of the powder as filler for resin, but I'm not sure of the moisture (or grease/wax) content.

More grinding tonight, hopefully the last for a while. Then I'll vacuum out the hull, maybe use compressed air to get the last dust out, and wipe down with xylene to clean the surface for glass. Got to ventilate for that.

Erik

PS: Itch, itch, itch... got some talc for it, but still there's just a little each time.

erikgreen

Captain

Okay.... one more pic, finally.

Last night I "finished" :D (dangerous word to say) grinding the interior of the aft section of my hull. As mentioned I'd finished the transom and sides of the boat earlier, so last night I concentrated on grinding out the remnants of the stringers, motor mounts, and fillets from my older work and the original factory work.

It generated about as much dust as my other grinding sessioins, and took 5 flap discs again... I think that makes 16 4.5" discs for the whole grinding marathon, or about $27 worth of discs.

Here's what the hull looks like now:

nPB060062.JPG.jpg

Sorry for the blurrines... I need to clean the dust off the camera lens I think.

You can still see where the pad is under the engine... I shaped the edges of it, but no need to remove it completely. Also, where the engine mounts, engine stringers, and the transverse bulkhead ahead of the engine were there are still remnants of fillet and plywood. I thought about grinding those out completely, but I already had to "dig" into the glass a bit to get as much out as I did, and I'd just have to put something back in those grooves.

Oddly, the base of the motor mounts and the pad under the engine seem to have been glued on after the hull was molded, with the same black filled resin as the eye pads on the transom.

The perfectionist in me wants to grind till everything is clean and looking like fresh glass, but then I'd probably have to reinforce the hull with glass since I'd have thinned it a bunch. As it stands, everything that was in the way is now out of the way, and there are no sections of loose glass or bumps.

As I put structure back in I'll probably have to do some spot grinding and touch-up. Once the structure is done I'll probably go in and fair the bilge a bit, making sure that it drains well and also cleaning up any major bumps or grooves. I'm thinking I'll coat it with bilgekote paint when it's done.

Anyway... tonight another round of vacuuming (I did one pass after grinding, but I need to use a brush or air to get it all out) then I template the transom with my new glue gun. I'm thinking I'll template the area up to the top of the transom and plan on filling the "step" with a smaller piece of 1/2" before I put the main transom on.

I suppose I'll have to work on my vacuum bag setup and my vacuum table this weekend since I really will need that to finish the transom....

Erik

BobsGlasstream

Commander

erikgreen,
The boat is coming along nicely. Very good work.
I know what you mean too about grinding the hull completely flat, I had the same urge to fight.
I just wanted to let you know too that you can get a chip separator that goes in front of your dust collector. You can pick them up at almost any woodworking shop. It fits on top a garbage can and the larger pieces fall out.
Does save the impeller.
Great job.
Bob

erikgreen

Captain

Wow, this made it back to page three... I suppose that means I should post updates more often....

Okay, I got quite a bit done (at least it feels that way) this weekend.

Let's start with templating and cutting out the new transom core.

I use the stick/outline method of templating. In a nutshell this is a method of using flat sticks like pieces of lauan plywood or (in my case) foam core poster board or paneling to outline the piece to be cut. You lay the sticks in place and join them with hot glue as you go. It's easiest if the sticks are an easy material to cut with scissors. I cut mine from a 40"x40" piece of foam core poster board, I think I paid $8 for it a while back:
nPB090064.JPG.jpg

Here's a pic of the transom corner I'm starting in:

nPB090065.JPG.jpg

To start you lay the first stick down near a corner. You're placing sticks so the outer edge of the stick marks where the outer edge of the wood you cut will sit (you're going to trace around the stick outline you make to mark your part for cutting). I trimmed the stick a bit to get it fitting closely... I could also have just moved it farther from the corner, and that would mean I'd eventually have to fill wherever it didn't cover with putty. I figured wood is cheaper, and why not show off how accurate I can template this thing?

nPB090066.JPG.jpg

I trimmed the second stick, the first vertical, to also fit the corner tightly and placed it behind the first stick:

nPB090067.JPG.jpg

Here's where I need to explain the front/back placement of sticks. If you're using flat sticks to outline something, you want the "bottom" of the template (the side that is flat against the transom in this case) to lay flat on your eventual sheet of plywood or whatever. This means you have to be consistent in placing the ends of the sticks over/under each other. I decided to make the vertical pieces lay flat against the transom glass and let the horizontal ones be spaced off the glass one stick thickness.

Again, trim the sticks as needed to make them fit where you will want the eventual wood part to fit. For my transom this means mostly shaving an edge here and a corner there. My boat has a few semi-straight edges at the transom. Plus I'm not too concerned if the transom is off a quarter inch somewhere... that actually helps me bond it better because I have more space to put epoxy into.

If you keep the front/back placement consistent, the most your template will sit off its "target" material is one stick thickness. I'm comfortable with spacing up to three thicknesses (in this case about a half inch) here since sizing of the transom isn't that critical. Just be aware if you work eg. left to right and you keep placing new sticks on top of old, then at the end of your work the right side of the template could be 5-6 thicknesses of stick off the target plane... it could introduce a half inch or larger error because the template won't exactly lay flat (more like steps).

Back to building:

nPB090068.JPG.jpg

For a template this size (7 ft x 3.5 ft) you need to reinforce it. I did this above using a couple short pieces of stick. Basically this corner brace will keep the template intact while I carry it from the boat to the cutting area.

I used a short overlap piece of stick to make the diagonal lay flat against the transom glass like the vertical sides do.

Progressing on:

nPB090069.JPG.jpg

In this pic I've continued through another corner and placed another vertical brace, which again sits flat against the transom glass. Note the blue tape in the corner. Once you start getting enough sticks attached that gravity starts having a noticeable effect, the template will try to tip over or move. This is bad for accuracy. So I taped it into the corner I started with. Eventually when complete it'll sit in place on its own, but this is needed for construction. Even with the tape, you should check the position of past work as you add new pieces... we're trying to be as precise as possible, and if the sticks slip out of place we lose the accuracy we were trying to get by trimming the corners and edges to fit in the first place.

More next post.....

erikgreen

Captain

Okay...

Notice that in the last pic of the previous post I did something funny with the sticks on the top edge.. the vertical reinforcement is under the lower edge stick, but at the top it's over, and actually has several bits of stick under it to make it meet the horizontal stick.

For some reason this made sense while I was doing this... I was probably thinking back to old projects or something. Anyway, the reason this big space exists at the top of the transom is that there's a "step" in the transom glass. The upper 8-9 inches of glass curves outward from the flat lower section about an inch and a half in the center and progressively less toward the sides.

Looking at this before starting the templating I had decided I'd have to backfill the top section with 1 1/2 inches of plywood and epoxy, so I could have a flat surface for the new full height transom to sit against. The old transom stopped below the step, and I'm working to make the new one as strong as possible.

Here's a pic of the whole mess, you can see the step and the little stack of stick bits:

nPB090070.JPG.jpg

What I did to repair the botch there was to cut it out (literally) and replace it with a stick "pad" that sits under the top horizontal stick. Basically this holds the horizontal stick off the transom glass so it matches where the plywood transom will eventually sit...on top of the to-be-constructed plywood and epoxy filled area:

nPB090073.JPG.jpg

Due to the fact that these spacers are in there, I had to switch to using the front side of the template as the one that would lay flat(be the bottom when I use the template). Otherwise the whole template would lay curved on the wood sheet and cause errors larger than I'd like.

Once I had the top horizontal stick in the right place I re-did the vertical support so it was under the bottom horizontal stick (near the bottom of the transom) and I used a short patch section of stick to put it over the top horizontal section.. this violates the desired layering, but since it's a reinforcing piece and won't be measured against this is ok.

I then continued the rest of the way along the top and placed another vertical support. The pads under the horizontal top stick held it in the right place, so I just matched the under/over layering of the other vertical support for this second support.

I continued on into the corner, trimming as needed, placed the second side vertical (again flat against the transom glass) and rounded the final corner, sloping down the bottom of the transom to the keel. At this point I placed a short horizontal piece to "skip" the area of the garboard plug, which I'm going to cover with an epoxy/fiber mix and sculpt instead of just drilling a hole through the transom.

nPB090072.JPG.jpg

So now we have the whole outline. Something's wrong, though. If you look at the picture you can see that the right side (actually port) is nearer the top edge of the transom glass than the left side. The weight of the horizontal top sticks made it sag a bit.

At this point I could fix it by cutting it apart again, and making the stick sit level. But I decided that would be a mess of patches and trimming, so the easiest thing to do is just extend the existing edge. So I'm violating my layering again. This will make the top of the template sit one stick thickness off the wood... at this point that's ok with me.

I recommend only doing this to "push out" edges at the end of the template construction... earlier in the process it's more accurate to cut it apart and re-do.

So, I added a couple sticks to push out the top edge and then I put in some diagonal bracing on the left side. The braces sit on top of the bottom and the side... boy, I've just thrown my careful layering out the window, haven't I?

nPB090074.JPG.jpg

Actually the reason I mentioned the layering at all is that it's a good thing to try for. If you can manage to not build your template stair-step at all you'll minimize errors in it and your eventual part will fit exactly right. I'm willing to try for that as I can but take liberties for ease because of what I'm cutting here.. the transom can't fit super tight against the bottom and boat sides anyway since it would be hard to put in place, and I'm going to fillet around it to fill the small gaps anyway.

I stepped back and took another look (and another picture) and I decided that this white outline was where my new transom should sit. So, it's off to the basement and the sawhorses for cutting plywood.

I'm using 1/2" Arauco plywood here. I've posted about it here and there, basically it's a plantation grown pine plywood from South America, made with exterior glue. Production is controlled so that one side of the wood is A grade and the other is B or C. It's fairly pretty stuff, and cheaper than marine ply.

nPB090075.JPG.jpg

I set the template on the wood with the top edge against one edge of the sheet and one side corner at the sheet corner to minimize cutting and to give me a "factory straight" edge on top. Note that there's some deviation from the template line, but I'd prefer to have a straight edge rather than try to match the glass precisely, I think that'll look better. Silly of me after all the templating work up there, isn't it?

nPB090076.JPG.jpg

You can just barely see the outline I traced here in pencil. I did the obvious, going around the template, being careful to make my pencil stay as vertical as possible to transfer the template outline.

I used common sense to skip eg. bits of stick corner projecting out and gaps. I then took a straightedge and re-did the bottom where the garboard plug sits manually.. I wanted the wood to extend a bit farther there than that horizontal piece I'd put in... I can always trim it later.

More next post....

erikgreen

Captain

Here's a pic of the manual re-work I did:

nPB090077.JPG.jpg

Important to realize at this point is that when you manually re-work the outline like this you're going to have to duplicate it on the other layers of the transom... for me this is two more sheets of wood. Not a problem for me, as long as there's extra wood rather than not enough.

If it was for a more fit-critical panel I'd put it back in the boat and cut/refit the edge.

One thing I did notice at this point was that the plywood was warped a bit from sitting in my basement for a few weeks. No problem really because the template flexes enough to conform to the plywood, and once the ply is laminated to two other pieces on a flat surface the dimensions will be correct.

Five minutes' work with the jigsaw later (I'd prefer a small circular saw for straight cuts, but mine smoked itself to death recently doing demo work on the boat) I had my first layer of the transom ready to go:

nPB090078.JPG.jpg

The real test of your template is to see how well the part fits. So, I took it upstairs and put it in the boat:

nPB090079.JPG.jpg

I had to use C clamps and a 2x4 brace to push it against the transom and take the warp out, but it fits quite nicely. The gaps at the sides and bottom you see are there to clear the fillet between the transom glass and the side/bottom glass, so there's not as much space to fill there as it would appear.

By the way, this is the "B" side of the arauco ply. I'm going to cut the other two layers so the A side faces front. There are no voids to speak of but I'd like the knots on the inside layers of the transom.

Here's a pic of the gap between the ply and the glass above the "step" in the transom... this will be filled with a couple layers of 1/4" ply epoxied into place:

nPB090081.JPG.jpg

Onward to the next sheet.... I repeated the tracing process (I recommend using the template again.. if you trace from the first sheet you cut (and the one you fitted) there is a potential to accumulate and magnify errors in the template. If the first sheet hadn't fit well at all I'd have gone back and located the source of the error by:
  • Putting the template back in the boat to check its size
  • Comparing the template against the cut sheet to look for tracing and cutting errors
  • Looking for anything else that could have caused an issue like manual rework of the outline or warping of the wood
The second sheet came out almost exactly the same size as the first one... the waviness you see here is a product of the jigsaw... the little blade turns to cut corners tightly, and turns whenever it wants to as well:

nPB090082.JPG.jpg

Funny how the "ski jumps" partly match up in both pieces. Anyway, it's close enough that I'll cut the third piece the same way.

All three pieces came out the same in most respects... the only major difference was where I hand drew the outline near the garboard plug. One sheet had an extra inch of wood there. The other two were near matches.... it seems I'm only partially consistent. Oh, well.

Time for some epoxy!

nPB090084.JPG.jpg

My true-flat work bench and vacuum table isn't built yet (although I did some on that this weekend too) so I had to look for another flat surface. I used my vinyl house trim straight edge to check all over, and I found a section of floor that was close to flat. I taped down plastic to put the transom on, and also a plastic work area for epoxy.

I had bought a used cookie dough mixer at the new and used store a few weeks back for $15 (higher than I wanted to pay but I wanted *that* one for certain reasons). It came with a couple big glass bowls and some beaters. It's very nice for mixing epoxy putty since it's strong enough to stir thick stuff and I don't need to wear out my wrists ensuring the resin is fully mixed.

I'm using US Composites 638 epoxy resin with the medium fast hardener. For filler I'm using cabosil (fumed silica). I'm being careful to minimize dust from the cabosil, since I don't want to breathe it, but some is going to get around. I like wood flour better for filler since it thickens quicker with less filler and also is less toxic (a bit, anyway).

More next post....

erikgreen

Captain

Okay, next post...

I got lucky and found a trowel on sale at Menard's for $2... it's one of the ones you use to spread tile adhesive. The notches are about a half inch square, which works well for this job.

I started by using one of the big glass bowls (theoretically they should be easy to clean) and putting 1 liter of epoxy/resin into it (.25 hardener and .75 resin).

nPB090085.JPG.jpg

Looks tasty. I let that mix for about 3 minutes, then I started adding cabosil.

nPB090086.JPG.jpg

Messy. I had to be careful and get all that picked up. I kept the blender on low so it wouldn't throw the stuff around much. After 3-4 minutes the stuff was pretty mixed, so I checked the viscosity:

nPB090088.JPG.jpg

Not too bad, just a little thin yet. More cabosil and more mixing:

nPB090089.JPG.jpg

Almost there... what I'm looking for is I want the stuff sitting in the bowl to hold a "hard" edge in the center... basically for it to form a crater and not collapse.

More cabosil again..

nPB090090.JPG.jpg

Here we are. It's hard to see in this picture, but the stuff was dripping off the beaters verrrry slowly.

It looks exactly like vanilla cake mix batter. Betcha it tastes worse though. I really had to resist trying to lick the beaters.

I used the trowel to spread the stuff over the plywood on the floor. First I spread it to make sure coverage was even using the smooth side.. this also wet all the plywood surface. Then I raked it using the notches into alternating valleys:

nPB090091.JPG.jpg

By this time I was hungry (watching the mixer and spreading this stuff did that somehow) so I paused for a quick snack.

More next post....

erikgreen

Captain

Next I put the second layer on top of the first, then stood on it to squish it down:

nPB090092.JPG.jpg

If you've never done this, there are a couple things to watch out for. First, when you do the initial "squish" you're going to get the air all coming out at once, and when that happens the top board moves (it's temporarily low friction). Depending on how you weight it - stepping on it or otherwise - it can move up to six inches or more. So no need to put it exactly in place before squishing it, it's going to move anyway.

The second thing is that you'll get some epoxy glue coming out at the edges. This is good, it means you used enough glue to get adequate coverage. If glue doesn't squish out, you may have a problem with dry spots or non lamination.

FYI the amount of glue this 7.5 foot by 3.5 foot (roughly) transom took is the full liter of resin plus 2 liters of loosely packed cabosil. It was just barely enough.

Since I got glue squishing out I walked on the boards for a minute then kneeled down, aligned them and stayed off. You don't want to use a lot of weight to clamp these or squish them down... epoxy doesn't need lots of clamping, and you don't want to squish it all the way dry.

So... wash, rinse, repeat and I had another layer of epoxy down and raked out. Same amount of resin and cabosil, same process.

Note that for ease of stacking I could have waited until the first layer set so it wouldn't move when I placed the second layer. Most people making a transom won't have this issue because they're using two layers instead of three, but it wasn't a big deal for me. I just adjusted both layers to align them after I placed the top (forward) layer.

Then I placed enough water jugs at both ends to lay the whole mess flat against the floor. I checked one more time for proper alignment of layers, and then wiped excess glue out from around the edges. This is way, way easier than trying to sand away cabosil epoxy after it's hardened.

nPB090093.JPG.jpg

So now it's hardening. So far it's gotten to be tacky and stiff after about 12 hours in about 65-ish F temperatures (it's cold out, and cold in the house). I expect tonight (24 hours later) I'll be able to handle it and prep it for glassing once I finish my vacuum table. I'm off to update that thread soon.

I did some cleanup using white household vinegar, but I left the big bowl to harden, I'll see if I can chip that out later tonight with a wood stick.

So far so good... I'm really glad to finally show some progress instead of having to post over and over "I did more grinding". After all, this is the fun part of rebuilding....

Erik

scrawnyronny

Seaman Apprentice

Love the detailed explanations with your pics Erik. Some day I hope to apply some of this knowledge to my own project,...some day:rolleyes: Btw hows that global warming working out for ya in Minne?

erikgreen

Captain

Pretty good so far... I think it's a whole 2 degrees over what it would have been. Gives me a great reason to stay inside and work on the boat instead of going outside to work on the truck :)

Erik

Robert4Winns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Erik,
I am learning a lot by following your thread and plan to use what I learn on my own transom replacement. Your detailed descriptions are very helpful; and yet I would like to impose upon you for more details. Do you know the resulting thickness of your laminated transom before you add the fiberglass skin? Also, was the plywood 1/2" or 15/32"? I plan on laminating my transom with thickened epoxy in a similar fashion and I'm curious to know how thick the epoxy layers are after they harden?
Is ther a reason you used cabosil over wood flour? Is it just what you had already or is there any advantage to using cabosil?
Thanks,
Robert

sprintst

Commander

Nice work. That will be me this weekend with any luck :)

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

I agree- It is SO much more fun when you get to this stage and actually have some progress to show rather than endless dirty cutting, grinding, and removal!

You are using U.S. Composites Epoxy, aren't you?? Which hardener are you using? I had been using the medium, but the last batch I bought I got some of the fast, since I'm going to be working in slightly cooler temps over the next few months... Nothing like yours, mind you (Although at the moment I'm up in Sturgeon Bay, WI- It's COLD here, too!), but I'm hoping that it'll be a bit quicker curing- I'll be doing a LOT of filling and fairing in the next few months!

-Andrew

erikgreen

Captain

Erik,
I am learning a lot by following your thread and plan to use what I learn on my own transom replacement. Your detailed descriptions are very helpful; and yet I would like to impose upon you for more details. Do you know the resulting thickness of your laminated transom before you add the fiberglass skin? Also, was the plywood 1/2" or 15/32"? I plan on laminating my transom with thickened epoxy in a similar fashion and I'm curious to know how thick the epoxy layers are after they harden?
Is ther a reason you used cabosil over wood flour? Is it just what you had already or is there any advantage to using cabosil?
Thanks,
Robert

Okay, in order you asked the questions:

The resulting thickness of the whole transom, front to back, will be the outer glass/gelcoat skin of about 3/8 inch + 1.5 inch wood core + 1/4 or so inch inner skin. So fairly close to 2 inches. This is within the range that Mercruiser requires to mount their transom kit, which includes the outer gimble/bell housing and the inner transom plate. After I finish rebuilding the transom I'll be cutting a hole for the sterndrive. The wood I used was labeled 1/2", but was probably "nominal" 1/2", so effectively no different from 15/32 for the most part.

The epoxy layers after they harden should be slightly thinner than one veneer of the plywood. You don't want to squeeze them out entirely, but you don't need a half inch of hardened resin, either. Basically, you want to use "enough" :)

I used cabosil because I had some on hand. Frankly I only like to use it to alter the texture of thickened resin, not as a thickener itself, because it makes a very smooth resin putty. So you have to use a LOT of it to get a thixotropic (non runny) putty. I ran through an entire 4 liter plastic bucket of the stuff in the last four days doing the transom work and a couple other things.

I prefer wood flour because it thickens the resin very quickly with not much flour used... I think this is because the wood particles absorb some resin and swell up a bit. Also the wood flour putty is easier to see because it's opaque, which is nice for certain jobs. Plus the wood flour is a little less of an inhalation problem than the cabosil and a little less toxic.

Really, I had cabosil on hand because I don't like using it much... it's hard to sand, it doesn't add strength, you use a ton of it if you're trying to thicken resin, and it's an inhalation risk.

Erik

erikgreen

Captain

You are using U.S. Composites Epoxy, aren't you?? Which hardener are you using? I had been using the medium, but the last batch I bought I got some of the fast, since I'm going to be working in slightly cooler temps over the next few months... Nothing like yours, mind you (Although at the moment I'm up in Sturgeon Bay, WI- It's COLD here, too!), but I'm hoping that it'll be a bit quicker curing- I'll be doing a LOT of filling and fairing in the next few months!

-Andrew

Yep, medium at the moment. I may order some fast just to speed things up, but I think that blushes more. It's taking 24 hours for the epoxy to harden to the point where I can do more work, which is fine for the moment, but I can see wanting to work faster. Plus it's expensive to keep my garage heated beyond 60 right now, and will be for a couple months.

I'd hate to see how long "slow" resin would take.

Erik

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Erik- I'll let you know what the Fast does for me, I keep my garage at about 60-65 this time of year while I'm working, too- Though I suspect it's not nearly as expensive to do so where I live, since it's in the 30's-40's outside on the COLD days, rather than the single digits!

-Andrew

BobsGlasstream

Commander

andgott Re: Winter refit - transom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Erik- I'll let you know what the Fast does for me, I keep my garage at about 60-65 this time of year while I'm working, too- Though I suspect it's not nearly as expensive to do so where I live, since it's in the 30's-40's outside on the COLD days, rather than the single digits!
Hey andgott,
Can you still say that after the last few days. This cold snap is running pretty deep into the south. :eek:
Erik
great reading.
Bob