Winerizing 4.3l volvo penta

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cant find my notes from last fall, What oil filter do I need. Want to get oil and filter tonight

alldodge

Staff member
Cant find my notes from last fall, What oil filter do I need. Want to get oil and filter tonight

Most 4.3's are the same but not all. Sure would help if we knew which year/SN your had

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok having trouble finding and FITTING in some of these spaces. I removed all hoses and drained. Cant find front manifold drain plug???? And my fat ass cant fit in the sides to remove cylinder block plugs.

Can I accomplish same thing by removing thermostat and running engine while running 5 gal. or so of marine anti freeze through engine??

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo254755.jpg
    photo254755.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo254757.jpg
    photo254757.jpg
    456 bytes · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
The pic is the size of a postage stamp, unable to see it clearly

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
I cant figure out how to size properly!?!?!?!?

I hate not knowing how to do this

alldodge

Staff member
Can I accomplish same thing by removing thermostat and running engine while running 5 gal. or so of marine anti freeze through engine??

That's in the maybe category, it might work it might not. I wouldn't recommend it nor even try it with my motor

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You have to remove the plugs. If not you will risk the chance of a cracked block. Any water left inside is a problem and even with antifreeze it could still crack.

alldodge

Staff member
Can any of the stuff on the sides of the motor be moved out of the way?

alldodge

Staff member
The issue is your pics are to large. Need to set camera for less resolution, or use photbucket, or resize them.

Removing the hoses off the exhaust will take care of them, if they don't have plugs on the hose elbows. The block drains do need to be removed, one on each side and they do need to come out. They should be 7/16 nut head on them. Going to be a hard reach on the starboard side.

What can be done to make it easier next year is install a 1/4 NPT to 3/8 barbed hose fitting. Then add a piece of fuel line and another barbed fitting and plug. Then nxt year you can pull the plug on the end of hose and drain. If doing this method make sure to blow air up thru the hose a couple times to make sure it is clear and all the water comes out.

Not going to help you this year.

The wife and I are going out on the lake for a run and some lunch will be back later.

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok thanks for the photo add. lol I drained the exhaust manifolds both sides. I just don't see a intake manifold drain plug on the front of motor?

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay I finally drained all the plugs I could find the problem I have is on the starboard side of the motor i pulled the plug but very very little water came out. I did insert a piece of metal up there to try to break up the plug some water came out after that but again very little. The drain plug that is supposed to be in the front of my 4.3 liter engine I cannot find there are two plugs on top of the circulation pump I opened those up and bring them am I missing anything at all?

alldodge

Staff member
piece of metal up there to try to break up the plug some water came out after that but again very little

If your sure it went up in there and next to no water came out, I would verify putting a bit of water in thru the water pump housing and see if it drains. If it does drain I would think your good. Some use a stiff piece of copper wire

I'm not a VP guy but I to do not see the plug the folks were talking about. The plug is square and right on the front of the manifold to the side of the thermostat, if its not there, I think you might have it. You do have the two plugs on the housing and they appear to have been removed at one time
slide4.jpg

zell66

Petty Officer 1st Class
there are 3 plugs on the thermostat housing, 2 on the side and 1 on top, but I have not removed them yet. I removed the top and left side of pump housing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
From other threads, seems like only the Vortec engine had the plug on the intake and your engine is right on the year boundary of being a Vortec. What is your model number?