Winch strap "stretching"

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer
I recently bought a boat and both times I've taken it out after I get it back on the trailer I winch it up tight but it pulls back. I don't think the strap is actually stretching I'm pretty sure that when I wind it up it's not winding tightly and than as I go it's getting tighter on the drum which lets the boat slide back. The strap is old and "crusty" but has no cuts or frays. I'm thinking that because the strap is no longer smooth it won't wind tightly on the drum and I should replace it with a new one. Has anyone ever had this problem?

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Winch strap "stretching"

Have you taken it off the winch and washed it in clean water with a little dish soap. Sometimes this will revive on that has a lot of minerals built up in it. If not, just think of it as standing up in your boat and throwing a $20 in the lake.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks randal I'll give that a shot.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Try letting the strap all the way out and leave it that way for an hour or two and wind it back onto the spool with some tension on it and the bath would'nt hurt eigther.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The winch is meant to move the boat, not to hold it in place. A safety chain, with turnbuckle to adjust tension from bow eye to trailer frame, is required for safely stabilizing the boat.

dmccaffrey

Seaman Apprentice

There is probably nothing wrong with either your winch or your strap. The problem is in your technique. You are backing the trailer in too far so that the rear of the boat is still floating when it's winched tight to the bow stop. As you pull the trailer out, the boat settles down on the bunks/rollers and slightly loosens up the strap.

Try to position the trailer a little bit shallower next time you load the boat. Once you find the magic depth to load that boat, this problem will disappear.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I have a safety chain and it is what saved my butt the first time. The second time I took it out I watched for it. It slid back about 4 inches pulling up the ramp so I tightened it back up. Than I went into the lot and backed up and hit the brakes and it slid back another two inches so I tightened it up again. When I got home it was back another inch. I'm not relying on the strap but I don't like the fact that it's loosening up like that. I'm pretty sure the fact that the strap is "crusty" is keeping it from winding tight on the drum as it can't slide against its self. I'm going to try washing it and see if that helps. Thanks all.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

are you winding it with the line slack at first? that may be what's pulling out. Keep tension against it manually until the slack is out.

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If there is any doubt in your mind about the strap, just replace it. They are realatively inexpensive. JB is right about the winch just moving the boat and the chain securing it.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I do have a safety chain but it does not have a turnbuckle. It is just a short length of chain. Does anyone have a pic of what such a setup would look like so I can look into it.

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a pic of my winch, safety chain and turnbuckle. All 3 to hold'er steady.

IMG_0596.jpg

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I agree that most likely there's just too much slack as you begin winding.

But, I suppose it is possible that someone put a strap on there that isn't the right material for the job. Does your strap appear to be nylon webbing, like the straps on a backpack or your typical tie-down straps (which will stretch, and should not be used in this application) or polyester, like seatbelt material (which does not stretch much, and is the right material for this job).

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Safety chain w/ transom ratchet to secure bow.
IMG_4393.jpg

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It's normal for it to not be tight to the bow roller when you first pull out of the water and it may need a couple more cranks so its positioned correctly, but it should not keep moving after that, at least not as much as you report. If it's 4" back from the roller it sounds more like the winch has a problem, check the ratchet/lock mechanism, it may be worn out.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

Ok thanks everyone. I will look into improving my safety chain setup so I don't wind up in the stupid human tricks forum.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you have transom straps they should keep it from moving back also.

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I have a single strap that I run over the top at the back but I assume when you say transom straps you mean the short straps that go on the back straight down to the trailer..

sschefer

Rear Admiral

It's normal for it to not be tight to the bow roller when you first pull out of the water and it may need a couple more cranks so its positioned correctly, but it should not keep moving after that, at least not as much as you report. If it's 4" back from the roller it sounds more like the winch has a problem, check the ratchet/lock mechanism, it may be worn out.

I'm with you on this on ondavr. I've never seen a strap stretch 4 inches. I don't even think my jerk straps go more than 2 or 3" and that's pulling something that's really stuck. Check the winch, some of the fancy ones have a braking system so they are smoother but require locking to make them hold solid.