Why not have a Iboats Florida Gathering?

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Why not have a Iboats Florida Gathering?

No way I'm towing up to JAX. I don't think I would go more than an 1.5 hr drive. Anyhow....hope this works out cause I'll be in.

nlain

Commander

Hey TD I didnt complain about the heat.......Though the freakin Spiders at our 1st place were not even remotly funny.......Stupid wolf spiders.......As for the gators......they are a bit creepy.......Its my guees that there would be a whole lot less Damn Yankees if Florida didnt have such awesome water to boat and fish on.......Speaking of awesome water to boat and fish on. Is there a place Where Freahwater meets brackish/salt somewhere along the atlantic within do-able distance from you? Maybe we could find a campground and hotels close to there. I figure if we could have the best of both worlds Salt/Fresh people would be more apt in coming..........

Mike to answer your question, St Johns River, Jacksonville Fl, St Johns runs from South Fl to North Fl and enters the Atlantic there. I am just North of there in Midway Ga. I am also a member of Club SeaRay and we have area get togethers, I have pulled my boat a little over 3 hours to Lake Murray in Columbia SC and I have pulled it a little over 7 hours to PCB Fl, for a SeaRay get together. I had planned on going to the last iboats get together that TD had for the air show and could not make it, I am also planning on the next one and would also plan for this one that is being discussed here. Will have to see what happens in the economy and life. I at least work for a man that will survive if at all possible, he has truck dealerships, parts and service have a fair chance of surviving this economy problem, the sales guys are struggling. So set a place and time and lets see what happens. :D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they problem with the St Johns is finding a beaching or docking area, big enough to accommodate enough boats. the only place i can think of is Palatka. it has a waterfront hotel, with a great dock, but no camping facilities. the river is fairly wide the and can get rough.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

Im in Tallahassee and as long as we could find a meeting place that Isnt to far I would go. I think the problem would be finding a central meeting place because south fl is 6-9 hours from Tallahassee. If it were somewhere further south than Ocala,Fl then I doubt I would attend.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Orlando is 2 hours south for me......I would go farther depending on where and for what. I like the St. Johns idea that way freshwater boaters and salties would both be happy. Is there any campgrounds close to palatka? ( I drive through there 1 or 2 times a month)

tashasdaddy

even though i go to the keys every year, i agree if i were not a moderator, i would not go to Miami, or Fort Myers for a round up. distance gets to be a lot for just a weekend. why i mentioned 2 different meeting. of course everyone would be invited to either or both.

tashasdaddy

as soon as my life slows down a little if will do some more research. anyone with a suggestion, would be great.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How about Lake Kissimmee?

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

I think we should all throw out some ideas of places. If possable tell us what you know about the area. You know like campgrounds, Hotels, Ramps....fishing reports, ect, ect, ect.........

tashasdaddy

I did some research. Lake Griffin State Park, it has 40 camp sites, Dock on an small river/creek that leads to Lake Griffin, http://floridastateparks.org/lakegriffin/. i have talked with them they can accomodate us, they have a covered Pavilion, $30.00 a day, to site and chat. Best time to get a group together there is May - Sept.

it is 30 miles south of Ocala, and 2 miles north of Leesburg, which has accomodations, if you don't want to camp. has facilites for tent, and trailer.

lakegriffingeneralarea001.jpg

lakegriffin2001.jpg

lakegriffin1001.jpg

as in any state park intoxicants, firearms are not allowed. but they told me it is ok, to have alcohol at the campsites, but not out in the open park. if you want beer on your boat load it before launching. as long as there are no complaints, or unrulyness.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like a good place to me....Seems like a real nice campground and with tent/RV camping and hotels withing 2 miles it pretty much covers lodging for people. Lake griffin covers the water part.

I like the idea of May as the weather is much more bareable for those who cant stand the heat.......For me the heat is a reminder that I no longer have to live in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin......For others it sux.

Lets see what everybody else thinks.

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer

3.5 hour drive. oouch! I won't do in my brakeless trailer. But if I have brakes before the trip then maybe, MAYBE. It would depend. Looks like it's in the middle of nowhere. But I guess the point is to get to know each other. I think it's a nice choice. I'll start hinting the trip to the admiral.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks good to me.

tashasdaddy

it is about as centrally located as i could get, that has all the necessaries.

floridamap001.jpg

leesburg001.jpg

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

It also looks like a pretty neat area to explore......close to Disney if someone wanted to make a day of that and from what I hear pretty decent fishing.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Works for me, a 3 hour drive is nothing for Florida..Besides my GF's Godparents live in Leesburg..I'm in.

pduquette

Ensign

The idea of a regional gathering has been itching the back of my brain too ..I've got vaca time to burn up . I'd remind everyone to being their guitar , harp , washboard , jug , etc too ! Rock that campfire!:D

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Got the guitar covered....and a 12 string.....:)

How does mid-May sound? Works for me....How bout TD and the rest of you?

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Lakeridge Winery is also close by in Clermont.