Which prop (3 or 4-blade) for a 18.5 ft Alicraft 18 Norwind with Mariner 90 2T

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Let's see a bar is 29.5 " Hg. or 14.7 psi at sea level. so 7.5 Bar X 14.7 = 110 psig. Service manual on that engine states "below 120 you should expect problems". My '02 ran around 110 and at WOT wound out at 5700-5800 with my 24P Ballistic XP SS trimmed to the sweet spot. Plus you have measurement and instrumentation accuracies to factor in. I wouldn't worry too much about that part.

30 knots....Nautical to Statute mile, 6076 to 5280 ft = 1.15 x 30 k. = 34.5 mph. Others you said ran more like 35 k. = 40 mph.

That's more in line with the engine's capabilities for normal boating with more than one person and suitable gear....you said 2-3 people with gear is your normal load...one person does make a difference and two makes 2 differences, grin. My 90 Merc on a 17.5 tin boat, flat stepped bottom was just under 50...43 k.....but that was me only and selected prop for speed.

Your choice, but you don't have to hit the firewall with the throttle when boating alone....(but can't resist the urge....really? Grin).

The rev limiter is a module and it does have an input connector that can be removed. I think I remember the color codes on Merc as Red and Black (module power and ground), Gray (tach signal) and output to triggers don't remember that color.

I had an 88 115 Tower that I ran at 6000 every chance I got and had it for 7 years and sold it to my SIL and had it for at least another 7, may still have it. Merc 2 strokers LOVE to run. I've pegged my OEM Merc tach (7k is peg) one day when I was fooling with timing in the driveway with no load on the engine. Lasted a few minutes before I could get it shut down. Didn't seem to hurt anything. I'd much rather push the upper limit on one of these engines than crowd the lower being 2 strokers, looped charged at that, and 1 cu in per hp....no torque so needs rpms to satisfy the hp equation: HP = (torque x rpms)/5252.

My 2c and worth every penny you paid for it. Good luck.

GreedyMuffin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I should not worry about my engine's condition?

Found a ad of the same boat. They stated the speed with a 2002 90HP 2-stroke Yamaha to 30 knots. But I do not know how they measured it.

Top speed is not important, but higher top speed results in higher march at the same fuel usage. As fuel usage is important when it cost 2 USD per liter (NOT gallon) of fuel at the marina, or 1,6 at the gas station. But a fourstroke is expensive. A decent 2005 model (any older, and many issues) is 2.5 more than what I gave for my engine.

I payed 2200 for my engine. A decent fourstroke is 5800.. I can sell mine for 2900 in the summer. The engine's value goes up and down depending on the season. In Norway, the boats are usually out for May to November for the avg. person.

GreedyMuffin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Searider, I will test how the transom is. But from visual. It is even lower. I could see the bolt on top of the UW-house. If you understand. The bolt to screw on the zink-fin. I might need to raise it then.. It seems to be a bi low in the water..

GreedyMuffin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Alicraft 18 + F80 (first gen) got 33 knots. But I am not sure if they tested with two, or one.

EDIT: Some on my forum had one, 125HP and 37 max on GPS.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
The Merc is loop charged and that's about as good as you are going to get in efficiency unless you go to fuel injection. Running at the lower recommended rpms (too much pitch in your prop) would be worse than running at the top rpms in my opinion for reasons stated previously herein and elsewhere. Running Sea Foam in the gas can also help to improve your mpg as it does an excellent job of keeping a 2 stroker clean. The Merc has 2 pressure backed piston rings that have to move within the cylinder slot on the compression cycle to seal the combustion chamber. If loaded up with carbon they can't do that and you loose performance (compression) and mpg.

If you will pull up some performance estimates that new boat mfgrs. publish you will see that max mpg are obtained shortly after the boat has planed out. Running there with a prop that lets your engine "loaf" (like the one you have) should be your best bet. On purchasing a new engine, you might pencil out what your recovery period would be on that money in terms of fuel saved assuming you can find actual numbers for your engine and the proposed one.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If at plane wile OB sits at 90 deg you can see water flow at speed passing right above lower AV plate, need to raise OB with wooden shim for flow to skim right under upper small plate as in last previous posted pic. If already there, leave it that way, if going over small plate a bit will produce water splashes towards transom and sometimes over it.

Back Water Splashes.JPG

Not an issue at idle/fast idle speed, worsens as you throttle more as in pic..

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
This pic will illustrate how water flow at plane passing through 3 lower leg height positions will dial different OB performances, being (1) top (2) so-so (3) worst all while combo rides on plane parallel to water level with OB trimmed to 90?

Water Flow Performance.JPG

Happy Boating

GreedyMuffin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okey. Something is definetly wrong... Is just barerly got 28 knots today with me and my girlfriend and some gear at WOT...

RPM was 5000/5050RPM. Getting the 17P next monday.

Here is a youtube video showing the height and the condition under WOT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1_92hsYKGU

Sea-foam is not available here, but is obtainable..

Still. It sucks being out when I see the speed I am getting.. I just get pure sad. :,(

Got the number of the carbs as well. Going to check if it is really 75HP, probably is, but you it would explain alot.

GreedyMuffin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

The sticker on my engine says that the weight is 160KG?

Why is that? That seems strange?

Attachments

• photo263273.png
    photo263273.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Difficult to check on video, to resume was water flow passing under small upper plate or right above AV plate ? Ideal is for OB tu run at its mas wot rpm which is 5500 according to sticker, still 450 wot revs less from ideal max. IF OB is healthy, definitely needs a prop maximization for less pitch prop 1-2 less ? that's the issue...

Happy Boating

GreedyMuffin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah. But my engine should be 137/139KG, not 160?

Will upload some puctures of the engine I took yesterday.

But yes, that ia correct. Over lower plate, under the smaller, higher plate.

GreedyMuffin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The 17P (which will be here on Monday) should be a better prop compared to the current 19P.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If combo is taken out of water after use, post a pic while OB sits at 90? of lower leg shot sideways as to see both plates distance, if moored, trim OB fully up and shot same pic if possible. Older OB's have very short distance from upper plate to lower one. Newer ones are extreme long, can play much more with lower leg heights. Less pitch will surely pull wot revs much higher, let's hope towards 5500 wot rpm.

Happy Boating

GreedyMuffin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Will measure and take a photo when trimmed out next time I am with the boat! :)

4 guys + gear, max rpm 4900.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The more guys and gear you add, the less wot rpm OB will achieve, have you tried it lightly loaded, say 1-2 passengers ?

Happy Boating