Which Impeller Kit? -- Alpha One with no Serial Number

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Which Impeller Kit? -- Alpha One with no Serial Number

Slightly smaller impeller, used on Merc outboards, older 3cyl 50 to 70hp and 4cyl 40 and 45hp...

Chris........

I know what it's for, and it really doesn't matter what it's for. It's not for an IO of any kind, and that is what the OP is working on.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

The problem with that, is you don't know what all could be wrong, so you could end up ordering twice and paying double freight for one little thing you needed and didn't know about.

So true. When I took it apart today, I noticed the fitting in the the upper unit where the water tube inserts was partially melted. Had to buy that assembly too.
water pump.jpg

Not sure how close I was to failure, but I am sure glad I opened it up when I did. Going to reassemble tomorrow. I do see that the drive shaft 0-ring is lodged in the upper unit. I will fish that out tomorrow.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

"Water pocket cover". Nice. The guy at the parts counter didn't even know what it was called. Scary...

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Nice videos by the way achris. They are very helpfull.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Been reading other threads on replacing the water pocket cover and seems like it can turn into a real nightmare if the bolts break. Does anyone have advice on getting the bolts out?

Don S

Been reading other threads on replacing the water pocket cover and seems like it can turn into a real nightmare if the bolts break. Does anyone have advice on getting the bolts out?

I would put a new seal in the old one and run it first on the water and see if you actually get an overheat when up on plane under load. If no overheat, then leave it alone.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

I would put a new seal in the old one and run it first on the water and see if you actually get an overheat when up on plane under load. If no overheat, then leave it alone.

Thanks Don. I will give that a shot. Hopefully it will be ok. I have never had and overheating problems since I have owned it (3 years) and the impeeller I just pulled was still in pretty good shape.

PO told me he fried an impeller back in 2005 when he ran it for a minute without muffs. Maybe this damage was done back then.

Don S

If you didn't have overheat problems before, then it's fine.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Have the water pump repair kit installed and ready to install lower unit. I have seen several videos that say not to install the drive shaft o-ring. Why is that? I am wary of going against the service manual.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

This is one of those areas that gets opinions either way.... Generally, though, the O-ring is difficult to maneuver past the lower shaft seal in the upper drive, so much so that in alot of cases, the O-ring gets pushed out of the groove and then keeps the shaft seal from doing it's job of keeping water out of the spline area. Most people note that on disassembly, the old O-ring actually stays up in the splines and needs to be fished out. Last time I did my drive, I got lucky and was able to get the O-ring past the seal (lots of 2-4-c) and have had no problems. If you think about it, though, the drives past 1990 (i.e. Alpha I Gen II) do not even have the O-ring groove there anymore, but still use the two seals (one on the shaft below the splines, and one on the gear in the upper drive. O-ring not needed. Make sure you give a good dose of spline grease to those splines, though.
Another thing to consider: If you just drop the lower to change the impeller (and leave the upper on the boat), you dont have a good view of this shaft penetrating the lower seal in the upper drive during reassembly and have a bigger chance of the O-ring causing problems. If you join the halves on the bench, you have a birds-eye view of the shaft going into the seal and can ensure there are no problems. Just sayin'.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

My old o-ring was up in the seals when I disassembled it. I thought that likely happened when I pulled it out. So... the o-ring is not needed and it can cause problems. Decision made. I will take a good look at the seals and be liberal with the grease.

By the way, my local shop sold me yamaha grease for the splines. For some reason they don't carry the 2-4-C.

Don S

Just use the same grease you use on the coupler splines. Assuming you use Mercruiser spline grease on your coupler splines.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Just use the same grease you use on the coupler splines. Assuming you use Mercruiser spline grease on your coupler splines.

I did use the Merc grease the last time I had my drive off (last summer), but I misplaced that grease when I cleaned my garage (I lose more stuff that way...). The local shop sold me this stuff and said it was the same as 2-4-c.

Yamalube

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Well, I finally got it all together. Everything seemed to go together real smooth. I fired it up with muffs and it seems like it is taking in less water now. I don't recall how much water ran thru before -- does this look like about the right amount? You can see at the end of the video that a lot of the water was not even going thru. Ran for about 15 minutes and engine got to about 135 degrees F (although it has internal cooling system). Drive was hardly even warm and exhaust was just warm to the touch, not hot.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Well done... Now you're an expert..

Chris.......

It sounds like your good to go just keep an eye on her and let us know!!

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Been out twice in the past couple weeks. Works perfect. Thanks for the help guys!