Old Rude and Atwater: Compression?

bonito1

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

I am going to look at an old Evinrude and Atwater outboards. I plan to check compression before purchasing but do not know what readings I am looking for. Can anyone tell me what a good reading would be for these.

The fellow is asking $75 a piece, sound reasonable?

Also, what size spark plug socket do you think I'll need?

I've attached pics if this helps.

Attachments

• rude.jpg
    rude.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
  • atwater.jpg
    atwater.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Old Rude and Atwater: Compression?

Those are a couple of collector outboards. That said, there are many of them still running out there. If you check compression, you'll want them to be over 50 psi, but they'll be dry and you may get less, with improvement once you get things lubed up. a 13/16" socket should work for both, although the old Evinrude may have plugs in it that need a 7/8" socket. You can get some sort of sense of compression just by pulling the things through a couple of turns with the rope, and that may be all you need to know. You can feel the compression. You won't get good readings on a dry engine, especially one that's been laying around for a long time. If, by some chance, the owner has them in running condition, it won't matter. If they run, the compression and spark are OK.

More important to you will be whether they have spark. If they have compression, but no spark, you'll be hunting hard for parts. You can check for spark after pulling the plugs by attaching the wire, then grounding the plug on the cylinder head. You should see some spark at the spark plug. If it's not there, you're going to be in for some work.

In my opinion, $75 is quite a bit for non-running versions of these oldsters. They're not worth a lot more as runners. No spark? Walk away. No compression you can feel? Walk away.

The folks at www.aomci.org are happy to answer your questions about older outboards like these. There's an Ask a Member forum there, and lots of people with lots of experience.

Finally, if you're looking for an outboard for regular use, I do suggest you look for something more recent. The mid 50's Johnsons and Evinrudes are easy to find parts for and are more reliable that those two old-timers will ever be.

One last thought: Years ago, after I got my very first boat given to me, I found a 1928 Johnson outboard with two opposed cylinders at a garage sale for $10. I took it home, mixed up some 16:1 fuel mix and dumped it in the tank. I closed the choke, wrapped the rope around the flywheel pulley and pulled. It started on the first pull. I used it for about 3 years without doing anything to it at all. I found something lighter in weight, and sold that Johnson to another guy for $20. Wish I had it back.

bonito1

Seaman Apprentice

Wow, thank you for the great, detailed response. Unfortunately, I am an impetuous fool, and I went and bought them before reading your response! :redface:

Luckily, the compression did come in at 60 psi on all four cylinders (2 per motor). This is cold and dry. Both seemed clean and in prety good shape. I did not test for spark though :(

Hopefully I can test tonight and take it from there...

Thanks again!

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, you're off to a good start, then. I hope you have good spark. If so, you might as well put them in water add a little fuel to the tanks and see if they'll fire up. You might be pleasantly surprised. Not much that's complicated with those old outboards.

I'd check the tanks for crud, though, before doing this.

Enjoy!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Most old motors have bad coils. Very unusual to find one with good coils. A lot have coils that break down after the motor warms due to an internal break in the windings that separates after heating. Once you ID both with model nos and serial nos I can let you know a source for new and used coils I have used.

I have several 1930's motors and both needed new coils.

bonito1

Seaman Apprentice

Hi there. I have not yet tested for spark but the model numbers are as follows.

Old Rude: 4357-0637

Atwater: 37254827

Any info you all might have on these and where to get parts will be greatly appreciated!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Hi there. I have not yet tested for spark but the model numbers are as follows.

Old Rude: 4357-0637 - 1940 3HP

Atwater: 37254827

Any info you all might have on these and where to get parts will be greatly appreciated!

Can provide source for parts and info:
http://www.aomci.org/

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The Evinrude's model name is "HandiTwin". Nice little motors.

The Scott is a 1952 model, 5hp. 3rd and 4th digits reversed are the year.

Lots of good Scott Atwater info at scott-atwater.com. They were good motors in their day - many features that were ahead of their time. They actually tied with Johnson being the first to offer a workable full gearshift! Many parts still available for them if you're willing to think outside the box.

Your compression numbers sound about right. I have a Scott 5 that punched 65 and 70 on the gauge. It's a parts motor, so I don't know what I'll do with it...

Attachments

• Scott5hp_2784.jpg
    Scott5hp_2784.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 0

bonito1

Seaman Apprentice

What makes it a "parts" motor. Can't you repair it?

Since mine is a 5hp as well (I think), I might be able to use some of your parts. I'll let you know once I find out what I need.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Pretty nice old Scott. It looks to be complete and in decent shape. Like Chinewalker said, that model of Scott, I believe was the first to intorduce the full gear shift on their outboards and I believe it was about the same time that Johnson did on their QD-10 of '49. Both of those would be excellent restoration projects. There are a few guys in the Antique Outboard Motor Club that can help you out with parts too, so don't ever lose hope:D

You may actually still be able to find NOS parts for that handitwin, at Engine Blade and Prop.:cool:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I'm calling it a parts motor because I also have a really nice, clean one and don't need two. This one is missing the recoil, lower cowls & tiller handle. I have neither the time, nor desire to track down the parts needed since I already have a complete one. Therefore - parts motor.