Where do I get a wiring diagram for an 85 hp johnson?

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Where do I get a wiring diagram for an 85 hp johnson?

Hi,
Just to be sure, all I've got to do with this motor to try and get it running is, hook up the starter/solenoid like normal then run the red reflictor wire to the + side of the solenoid like how it shows on the diagram, then I should have a running motor.
sorry, i meant the rectifier and lead assembily.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Hi,
Just to be sure, all I've got to do with this motor to try and get it running is, hook up the starter/solenoid like normal then run the red reflictor wire to the + side of the solenoid like how it shows on the diagram, then I should have a running motor.

I understand by a later post that you meant to type "rectifier" instead of "reflictor". DO NOT attempt to attach anything to that rectifier that doesn't belong there permanently!

In order to crank the engine over via the electric starter with a jumper wire...... Simply connect the jumper between the large red battery cable 1/2" nut terminal of the starter solenoid to the smaller white wire 3/8" nut terminal of the solenoid. This will engage the starter solenoid circuit.

Use a great amount of caution.... should you actually start that engine at a high rpm, it may be very troublesome to shut it down as there is no key shut off factor!

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok,
thanks bot in the diagram theres a red wire comeing from the rectifier that goes to the terminial boloc which then goes to another red wire that goes to the 1/2" nut terminal. then tthere was 1 yellow/grey which leads to the "tach lead" then a plain yello wire leading to the coils. I would have assumed that that powered up the coils/power-pack etc. Am I right?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

No, the rectifier and those associated wires have nothing to do with the ignition. They pertain to the battery charging system only.

The AC voltage power (NOT Battery DC voltage) is supplied to the powerpack capacitor via the brown wire and the brown/yellow wire that leads from the stator to the powerpack.

The wiring diagram of course shows where the wires attach, BUT you'll need the factory service manual to understand the circuitry.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, thanks, so the yellow/brown and brown wires are the voltage wires to the power-pack. So to get ignition or start this motor, I just need to spin it over 300 RPM's. Only hooking the battery leads to the starter/choke solenoid. Is that right?
Sorry about asking so many questions, I'm jost not completely clear on how to start it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You - "So to get ignition or start this motor, I just need to spin it over 300 RPM's. Only hooking the battery leads to the starter/choke solenoid. Is that right?"

Me - Pretty much so.... You only need the battery positive (RED) cable connected to the starter solenoid as per the wiring diagram and the negative (BLACK) cable connected to a powerhead ground. You can work the choke manually.

Keep in mind that once that engine starts, the only way you can shut it down is to either disconnect the spark plug wires or to engage the choke to flood the engine out.........................

HOWEVER, you can shut it down normally by grounding out the Black/Yellow wire that is connected to the powerpack but use something insulated or you will receive quite a shock.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, thanks once again. Now, just one more problem, when I have the spark plugs in and try and turn over the motor with the electric start, (24 volt car battery/jumper leads) its almost like the batteryies have run out because its just not turning over, should I spray some contact cleaner on the brushes & put grease on the top spindle and/or rebuild the starter? when I have the spark plugs out it terns over as fast as, what I would guess to be 300 RPM. but when it stops raining and I get a chance to go outside and tern the motor over, I'll see if it has spark.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

24 volt car battery?? I hope that's a typo as 24 volts will fry anything on that engine it comes in contact with!

With the spark plugs installed..... Have a known good 12 volt battery that is fully charged. Run known good jumper cables directly to the electric starter. If this cause the starter to crank the engine over normally, the starter is okay. If so, clean all of the normal cable terminal ends that are associated with the electric starter... battery terminals, solenoid, powerhead ground, etc etc (all of them) and be sure to clean the components they attach to.

If the jumper cables and the good battery do not crank the engine properly when run directly to the starter, repair or replace the starter.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well.....hopfully I havn't fried the powerpack.:eek::facepalm: I dont think I have though, hopfully not. I think I only hooked the battery up to the rectifyer/starter and solinoid. Still raining so can't test it out yet untill it compleatly dries out. I hope it has ignition:)!

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,
I've tried the motor out today but still dont have ignition!:mad: the mechanic i got this motor from said that he's had it running before. And also, I checked the stator out and it looked fine, no sticky goo on there, it was completely dry, which i think is a good sign. should i test the yellow/brown and brown wire to see if theres any voltage voltage going there with a multimeter. could it be that its just not spinning over fast enough? Also is there any way of telling that the powerpack is bernt out/not working?
Thanks

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also,
just wondering, would 24 volts fry the startor of this motor. Would it slow down when terning over the motor? if the powerpack was blown would there be a lot of black around it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Also, just wondering, would 24 volts fry the startor of this motor. Would it slow down when turning over the motor? if the powerpack was blown would there be a lot of black around it? 1977 85hp Johnson

Uh, Oh! What you're faced with now, if you've actually been throwing 24 volts to that engine, is to have the service manual for it or to have someone provide the resistance (ohm) and voltage output readings of the various components in order to determine what is and what is not damaged. Sorry to say, I don't have that manual nor do I have that information in memory, sorry. Hopefully someone jumps in here with that info for you.
1977 85hp Johnson

63Sport16

Seaman Apprentice

outboards115,
Sent you a private message.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally got a new starter motor.
hopefully this new starter motor can get this engine running or at least get it terning over fast enough to get ignition.
I will give more updates when tested.