Where do I get a wiring diagram for an 85 hp johnson?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Where do I get a wiring diagram for an 85 hp johnson?

Message deleted... pertained to a 1971 85hp model (error)

Last edited:

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,
I will try that tommorow, thanks.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,
I've had a look at many diagrams of this sertain outboard but I can't see any purple wires coming from the puls pack.
I have the front of the puls pack from my motor and here are the folowing colours listed on there:
Black/yellow
wlack/white-sensor 2
orange-coil 2
white/black-sensor 4
orange-coil 4
black
brown
brown/wellow
white/black-sensor
orange-coil 1
orange- coil 3
black/white-sensor 3

Not a single purple wire to be seen on the puls pack.......

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you want, I can get down the serial/model number tomorow.
To make sure I know if I'm getting the right diagram.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Hi,
I've had a look at many diagrams of this sertain outboard but I can't see any purple wires coming from the puls pack.
I have the front of the puls pack from my motor and here are the folowing colours listed on there:
Black/yellow
wlack/white-sensor 2
orange-coil 2
white/black-sensor 4
orange-coil 4
black
brown
brown/wellow
white/black-sensor
orange-coil 1
orange- coil 3
black/white-sensor 3

Not a single purple wire to be seen on the puls pack.......

You DO NOT have a 1971 85hp model. Model number?

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you want, i can get it right now.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is the model and serial number (don't know which is which since the motor has been re-painted, very hard to read!)
85E1776

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi,
I can't tell which number is the model/serial number because it has been painted over. VERY HARD TO READ!!!! but I think I've got them here:
85E1776
(They might not be right)

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

See what you can do to get a better read on the "85e" number, it is the model number. The one you listed isn't correct.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

hi,I can't tell which number is the model/serial number because it has been painted over. VERY HARD TO READ!!!! but I think I've got them here:630018 85E1776(They might not be right)

The number of 85E177 is the model number and identifies your engine as a 1977 85hp Johnson, not a 1971. However the fourth digit is not a "1", it is a "L", standing for "long shaft", so the model number is 85EL77.

Now.... If you have already thrown any voltage to that type powerpack, it is probably junk, and your original problem has escaped me. Start over... what is the problem?

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,
Thanks Joe Reeves. My my problem is, I dont know how to fire up this engine without the controle box since the red plug on the wiring harness side has been cut off. I am even looking for a sign of spark, this is why i was looking for a diagram. I am also trying to work out that "purple wire" you speek of that comes from the power pack, but as I mentioned before, (the wiring colours) there was no purple wire, so I'm still trying to work out a way to fire up this motor.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

On that engine (1977 85hp Johnson), the ignition is self contained, meaning that it is not dependent on battery voltage. In fact, battery voltage would damage it! The stator under the flywheel is a two fold component... a series of small coils within it is for the battery charging system, BUT there are two larger coils within it... one located at the front of the stator and one at the back of the stator. These two coils supply approximately 300 AC volts to the capacitor within the powerpack in order to engage the ignition. So you can see that the stator is the beginning of both the charging and ignition system.

Look closely under the flywheel to see if there is any traces of a sticky looking substance dripping down upon the timer base and/or powerhead area..... and if so, replace the stator. The dripping would indicate that the stator has overheated and therefore would encounter a AC voltage drop to the powerpack capacitor, resuslting in weak, erratic, or no ignition.

If the stator looks okay, remove the black/yellow wire from the powerpack (Kill circuit). Remove spark plugs. Rig a tester of some kind whereas you can set a 7/16" gap for the spark to jump (the 7/16" gap is important!). DO NOT use the spark plugs to test the spark.

NOTE: The engine must crank over at least 300 rpms in order for the stator to engage the ignition so be sure to have the spark plugs removed in order to obtain the highest rpm possible.

If you have spark with that wire disconnected but no spark with it connected, then either the engine wiring harness has a short in it or (since the RED electrical plug has been cut off) the wires are touching at their cut off point.

If no spark with that black/yellow wire disconnected (assuming that the stator is okay), the probem is usually a blown powerpack.

ALSO: Private Message Sent!

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,
Thanks Joe, thats saved me a lot of work! by the way, the mechanic I got it from said that hees had it running so i dont think any things wrong with the stator but thanks for letting me know. E-mail is rdonovan31@optusnet.com.au. The only other problem I face now is getting it up to 300 RPM but should be able to. Also, I dont need to worry about that purple wire now?

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And also,
will I need to pull off the flyweel to see if that stiky stuff is there? or would i be able to see it from by simply looking up at the bottom of the coils.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,
also, I guess I still have to wire up the reflictor like normal, do I? I suppose the diagram will tell me.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Email and file sent.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,
thanks will look at that and see if the motor will start probibly tomorow.

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,
thanks Joe reeves for that diagram, looks more like it! Now I should get ignition! will let you know when I test it out:)

outboards115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi,
Just to be sure, all I've got to do with this motor to try and get it running is, hook up the starter/solenoid like normal then run the red reflictor wire to the + side of the solenoid like how it shows on the diagram, then I should have a running motor.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I have no idea what you're speaking of when you're referring to a "red reflictor wire". There is no such thing as a "reflictor" on that engine.