When you get stuck ?

45Auto

Commander
Re: When you get stuck ?

You guys are just boating in the wrong places. Here's a boat with about 1500 lbs of wenches on board, probably plenty of snatch blocks also!!! :D

bikini-boat.jpg

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

^^^^^^^ now that is a ton of fun...

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Not much help guys:confused:
I found it helpful. Most wenches just can't pull their own weight. I think a strong, light-weight wench can be very useful. Low maintenance is definitely a big plus.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Do you get your tow vehicle stuck in large puddles also ?! :p

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

While I personly am an ocean boater,I have friends with river boats used mainly on the Skeena and its tributarys.Like you say, things change every spring and sometimes in the fall. One thing the locals do is have small fuel tanks snd carry most of the fuel in jerry cans so they can unload them and lighten up the boat,other than that you got it covered:)

reelfishin

Captain

The only time I've ever 'grounded' my boat was while fishing in a few back creeks and the tide went out, leaving me in about 6" of water. I just waited for the tide to turn around and did some easy crabbing.

If there's that little water where you running, go elsewhere. Anything you do to drag or coax the boat off the sandbar or what ever your hung up on will no doubt be hard on the hull.

The best way to get out of that situation is to not get in it in the first place.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

The only time I've ever 'grounded' my boat was while fishing in a few back creeks and the tide went out, leaving me in about 6" of water. I just waited for the tide to turn around and did some easy crabbing.

If there's that little water where you running, go elsewhere. Anything you do to drag or coax the boat off the sandbar or what ever your hung up on will no doubt be hard on the hull.

The best way to get out of that situation is to not get in it in the first place.
Or have a boat-load of strong wenches.

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take all the stuff out of the boat but keep one wench.:D The reduced weight should make the boat float higher on the water thus clearing the sand bar.;)

d4570

Cadet

Just can't let go of the wench can you !!!
Our biggest river the Missouri averages 3 feet deep way plenty of waste. There is just some snags here and there. The prop guys get caught a lot to and there careful as you can be and still be in the water.If I went else where it would have to be a lake...

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like what happens to us when we go duck hunting in the john boat. I like the idea of letting the current wash out the sand from around the boat.

To the OP, have you ever used your anchor as the winch, not wench, point? I think the hardest part is breaking the suction that is created between the bottom and the boat. Maybe small long wedges to lift a side of the boat.

Also you may want to bring a Hi-Lift jack and some chain with a hook to connect to the bow eye and a piece of plywood 1' x 1' to sit the base of the jack on so it won't sink in the sand or mud. That is what we do both with the john boat and when we go Jeeping.

stic88

Petty Officer 1st Class

you were the one who brought the wench into discussion. now if you would have said winch then we could have had a total different discussion.
sorry had to point out why this thread didnt go the way you wanted it to

d4570

Cadet

you were the one who brought the wench into discussion. now if you would have said winch then we could have had a total different discussion.
sorry had to point out why this thread didn't go the way you wanted it to

Yes, that Spell check thing let me down on this one...

The anchor never holds, we have used the two shovels rammed in the the bottom spaced about 4 feet in front of each other and hooked together with a cable works some times. The big problem is like you say the suction on the boat If a person could get a long pole and run the Winch cable over it when you pull it would lift the boat up instead of pulling downward. The parachute can use 1000's of pounds of water pull and will move the boat NO mater what but you HAVE to have some one in the boat to bring it back or cut the rope in a hurry It will pull the boat under as easily as forword...:eek:

mac_in_mt

Cadet

I'm also from Montana and I carry much of the same gear. I haven't heard of or used the parachute trick, but I will be trying it! Something I have seen on SportJons is a set of wheels that are attached to the back end of the boat which jack up and down. When you get stuck, the jack the wheels down which allows you to push/pull the boat a little easier. My boat is aft heavy, so when I do get stuck I move all weight forward and will even have someone sit on the front end. That almost always gets me enough flotation to push/pull off a sand bar.

A couple years ago we were on the Yellowstone River for work....I was on shore watching our guys run up river into the sun. I could see they were going to hit a sand bar so I tried to wave them off. The guy driving kept going and when he hit the sand bar he totally ripped the standup center console out of the floor. The driver ended up face down on top of the console. It wasn't too funny at the time, but looking back it makes me laugh!

Ryan50

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Spell check wouldn't help ya. You spelled "wench" correctly.

d4570

Cadet

I'm also from Montana and I carry much of the same gear. I haven't heard of or used the parachute trick, but I will be trying it! Something I have seen on SportJons is a set of wheels that are attached to the back end of the boat which jack up and down. When you get stuck, the jack the wheels down which allows you to push/pull the boat a little easier. My boat is aft heavy, so when I do get stuck I move all weight forward and will even have someone sit on the front end. gh!

Mine is a inboard v6 there not much that will help it "Float"
I have seen people tear off the steering wheel and go out the winsheld...

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Yepper... Use the winch to pull and the wench or better yet wenches- to push :p