What a saltwater boat looks like..... UPDATED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What a saltwater boat looks like..........

just say im with the choir.........

but don.....your right...a job is a job...does it matter what motor it is?....
you get paid to work on motors......

If it is an OMC it does ;)

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What a saltwater boat looks like..... UPDATED

Well, if nothing else, Don.. I think everyone is glad to have you here. You work for us every day.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep, retirement bites.
I am with DonS, gotta tinker.
lucky for me I dont have to pull 40 hours a week anymore and the places I contract for seem to like me.
glad ya didnt have to attempt working on a POS.
I hate it when I get a job like that. I know I can fix it but I also know the owner cant afford it.
anything can be fixed if money is no object, however with a boat most times its just not worth it.

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

j
but don.....your right...a job is a job...does it matter what motor it is?....
you get paid to work on motors......if the boss is out to lunch...thats not your problem....i

Opps, I want to point out - that this isn't how the "repair" business works in many cases.

Many, many shops - marine and auto employee independent "contractors" to do their repairs for 'em. Do you think that the guys turning the wrenches are getting even 50% of the $90+/hr that you're paying? Heck no.

This is where book value of a job comes in. I know in the auto industry there are at least 3 different books that "estimate" how long it takes to do a job. Some of them are not very "consumer focused". The mechanics usually get paid a bonus for completing work quickly - so the more work they do and the faster they do it.. Basically creating a big mark up on "book hours" the more they get paid.

Do you think it sounds like this is a good way to get the job done right on your boat or car? :)

Absolutely no offense intended to Don S on my above commentary - the best shops that I know of - and the shops that I utilize are all *independent* - some of them contract out the work - not all, but unless I can talk to the guy that's going to be working on my boat, I don't use their services...

Don, your input on this forum is priceless. I've worked on cars all my life, but I'm new to this boat thing and you've saved me and other guys like me a lot of money.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

dcg9381 said:
This is where book value of a job comes in. I know in the auto industry there are at least 3 different books that "estimate" how long it takes to do a job. Some of them are not very "consumer focused". The mechanics usually get paid a bonus for completing work quickly - so the more work they do and the faster they do it..

This can almost be another thread.
But.
What the heck are you talking about??????
Chevy has their flat rate manual.....
BMW has theirs.......
And Merc and everyone has theirs......
I've never heard of multiple books from the same manufactorer...... the only note to that is they do have 1 rate for warranty work, and 1 rate for retail work.

Some shops charge the book time and thats it.... which is fine in auto but not in marine.

In marine the guide is treated as a guide. It is an estimated time. It takes average corrosion into consideration.
However.... the older a boat gets... and the more hands it goes through.... Corrosion plus missplaced hands equal the flat rate guide going out the window.... and the job becomes an "it is what it is" situation.
I've said this before but working marine is a lot like contracting. You estimate job to job based on your own experience. If you beat the estimate it's your decision to keep the money or give some or all back of the difference between the estimate and the actuall time required.
The same thing on the other side... if corrosion is worse than you thought and there's been many hands in the boat then you can ask for more if you feel you want to or need to. But in the end it's your (the shops) decision on when to stick to estimates or to charge more or less in the end.
Everyone who does this for a living... from the newbs to the old timers..... We've all done pretty well on jobs... and we've all been burned.

bcg9381 said:
so the more work they do and the faster they do it.. Basically creating a big mark up on "book hours" the more they get paid.

Do you think it sounds like this is a good way to get the job done right on your boat or car? :)

And what is wrong with that? It's what seperates the good from the bad mechanics.... and the reward of more money per work hour vs actual hour is because of their talent... and not hackery. The way it is supposed to work is if there is a comeback, the mechanic then works for free.
I've seen guys work 40 clock hours and get paid for 80 flat rate hours. And i've also seen guys work 40 but get paid for 20 coz they have alot of comebacks.

I work for myself so I get all the money :) :) :) .... but i got all the bills too.

I've interviewed with alot of places and had alot of offers. But If i'm gonna work for somebody it's going to be on my pay plan terms.

The way I work is base plus commision. I want a base pay, not to much, maybe like 10 bucks an hour. Because working at a dealership there is so much down time. A mechanic is always waiting on somebody else. Somebody to pull the boat in a yard. Somebody to order parts. Somebody to talk to customers. It is always 10 minutes here and 20 minutes there... but it adds up in a 40 hour week. I'm getting paid to spin the wrench. I have no tolerance for standing around. My time is as important to me as my pay. I do understand there is always down time.

If i'm getting paid hourly. What is my incentive, on a daily basis, to work harder, faster, and in a more inventive way???? Everyone who gets paid by the hour will eventually plateau and have no incentive to work harder. You have to accept the fact that everyone does. Ask yourself... Why is it that I don't bust *** every day and work as hard as humanly possible... and the answer is easy... you've plateau'd.

If i'm getting paid flate rate. Well I want to be working. When i'm not working and sitting around waiting for somebody else... be it a sloppy slow service writer... or a customer who is unavailable to sign off on an estimate... i get pissed. I don't want to be forced to sit around "waiting" on work. And not getting paid in the mean time.

If i get hourly plus commission..... I accept the fact that there is downtime. But now it's not on my shoulders. And I still get paid for sitting around. If the shop realizes they are paying me to sit and wait.... then it is up to them to come up with ways to reduce downtime... while paying me. I also believe that the older a boat is, and the more its seen saltwater... the more the flate rate guide goes out the window. I look at every boat as a "job". A job gets estimated with a small window either way in price... say 10-15%. But the deal is, is that the service writer does not estimate the final price. It is a working arraingement of the tech and the writer coming up with an agree'd upon price versus labor hour. It's bidding 101. If the mechanic agrees to the job at a price (plus the window) he does the work. And doesn't ***** about it afterwards. The mechanic accepts the fact that he is responsible for pricing... and accepts that if he underestimtes and sells a "job" at a less than profitable rate.... then his dollar per hour average goes down.
I tend to think bigger. I don't care about my rate hour to hour. I care about my average over a term. And it's up to me to increase my average by being creative, working hard, working faster, and being inventive.... which isn't the same thing as hosing a customer.

Last edited:

dcg9381

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know that in the auto industry there are at least 3 "labor" books available. I don't know the names of the books, I could probably get them if you're really interested.

Auto industry, like marine - if the job is harder than book rates, you'll get charged actual labor. Easier than book rates, you'll get charged book value.
To the consumer, this stinks. Most consumers don't even know that it goes on.

I have no issue with rewarding good mechanics. However: I think that a good mechanic isn't necessarily a fast mechanic. The system that most shops use rewards fast mechanics, not good ones... They're not necessarily one in the same.

I understand that if paid flat hourly rates or straight salary, that might be a demotivating factor from staying up with the workload - so I understand why shops need to reward based on the volume of work done.

This situation creates a bit of a quandry and I don't have a solution... So I suppose I shouldn't point out the problem?

I like working with shops where the owner is still turning a wrench, which are few and far inbetween. I'll also work with true independents and pay them directly. I haven't had anyone work on a car in years and I'm getting a few brought to me from out of state for EFI tuning. Then again, I'm buying the cars with motors that I know well.. Easier for me to deal with long term - but I'm still light on marine and big V8 experience... So I go to the independent marine guys - and this forum as necessary!

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I know that in the auto industry there are at least 3 "labor" books available. I don't know the names of the books, I could probably get them if you're really interested.

There are actually two books we use --The factory book for warranty work and the Motor guide for customer pay.

Auto industry, like marine - if the job is harder than book rates, you'll get charged actual labor. Easier than book rates, you'll get charged book value.
To the consumer, this stinks. Most consumers don't even know that it goes on.

Very True

I have no issue with rewarding good mechanics. However: I think that a good mechanic isn't necessarily a fast mechanic. The system that most shops use rewards fast mechanics, not good ones... They're not necessarily one in the same.

Amen to that--very few people recognize this small fact.

I understand that if paid flat hourly rates or straight salary, that might be a demotivating factor from staying up with the workload - so I understand why shops need to reward based on the volume of work done.

This situation creates a bit of a quandry and I don't have a solution... So I suppose I shouldn't point out the problem?

The solution is to pay some of the guys flat-rate and give them all the gravy work--but also pay your top diag guys straight time with an incentive(bonus) and give them the tough stuff.

QUOTE]

JustJason

Vice Admiral

the real solution is mechanics need to fess up. If somebody makes a mistake... overlooks.. or can not justify a comeback as a seperate issue then he needs to pony up and work for free. I do it.... and it sucks. Good thing I don't do it that often.
If the book says alpha water pumps take 2 hours... and i know all of the tools, all the sizes, the service procedeure by heart, and i work fast and i can get it done in an hour... I should get paid for 2.
What am i supposed to do... drag *** on a job so I can come as close to book time as possible without going over????
The book is just a guide.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well let's see here there is All Data, Mitchell, Motor Guide, Chiltons, Real time, Factory warranty, Factory customer pay (not published but usually one of the others). All books (besides the Factory) are guides, factory is the one the tech is stuck with at the dealer. Add and subtract as you please.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's not doing a bit of good to quote a bunch of automotive information. This is about boat. As soon as you guys stop trying to compare and make everyting automotive, the better off you will be.
There are not a bunch of flat rate books from marine. Only the OEM flatrate book for warranty.
Deal with it. Boats are different.

littlebookworm

Chief Petty Officer

Don: I've been following this thread with mixed momories. Years ago, I ran an auto shp - family business. Used to be a decent mechanic too. But, as I refurbish my second boat and read parts of over 900 pages on this site, I realize how much I've forgotten or really didn't know about marine setups. I've come to really respect you, Bondo, Chris, Tommays, Coors, and others who share your knowledge, experience, and grumpiness with the rest of us. That engine was a dog, true. But, as you said, that's the job, and you're great at it. I understand your not being able to retire. I was a full-time educator for 36 years, and part-time mechanic, wood worker, carpenter, and other things for longer than that. I retired in 03, but returned to teach at a community college in 05. I work on boats and cars because I love them. I wish you were here on the east coast so I could buy you a beer, no make that dinner. You've been the kind of PROFESSIONAL we seem to have lost. You're good at what you do, you give of yourself to help others, and you enjoy life. May you live to 120, continue doing what you love. Thanks. Hy. PS I've gotten that 305 for my SunRunner; more details to come in another thread.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's not doing a bit of good to quote a bunch of automotive information. This is about boat. As soon as you guys stop trying to compare and make everyting automotive, the better off you will be.
There are not a bunch of flat rate books from marine. Only the OEM flatrate book for warranty.
Deal with it. Boats are different.

Clinton
"http://www.repairmanual.com/marine/19/477"

Clymer "http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Sports/Landing983a65039.html"

Don S

Clinton
"http://www.repairmanual.com/marine/19/477"

Clymer "http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Sports/Landing983a65039.html"

Clinton????? Ain't no such thing as a Clinton manual.

Besides, those are OUTBOARDS.
Believe it or not, there are BIG differences between outboards and IO's. Those "Flat Rate Manuals" have absolutely nothing to do with I/O's................ Nothing.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

I have an old clinton OB in my shop. haha! Anyway hows that boat coming don have they picked out a replacement drive train? Whats the new status?

Don S

See reply #53 for the update. As of now, we are waiting on some prepay on mainfolds and risers and lots more.
Seems he must have went over his allowance. As soon as we ask for money up front for parts, things came to a sudden stop. He doesn't have any money. But that was fine as long as we were paying for everything up front. He basically wants to pay a "dollar down and a dollar a week" while we become a finance corporation..... NOT.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

thats why i say... working marine is more like contracting.... it's all about the bid.

Capt Ken

Commander

I love salt water, the only tools needed is a torch and a big hammer. Us in the salt water areas face this all the time. I've got a 3.0 on the stand that has been there since early fall. Guy bought a boat, timing had been jacked up and melted the side of #1 piston and blew the head gasket. The other three pistons was not far behind. Gave the owner the price for the rebuild along with replacing the riser that was a ball of rust. He was OK with the estimate so I told him to bring me a grand to cover parts before we started. So far I've got $150 and that was back in Sept. Haven't heard from the guy since. I went ahead and rebuilt the head and replaced the pistons. So I've got an assembled long block on the stand but there it will sit until I see some green. Last I heard from the guy, he had ran out of work and was moving. I figure the repo man will show up at the door one day.

tommays

Admiral

a dollar and a dream :D

Tommays

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep
a dollar and a dream
only took me 10 years to figgure out there is no money to be made working on junk.
so now I politly tell the customer to take it down the road.
I can do nothing and starve with no blood loss or torch burns.
had a 73 17 dixe with a blown 2.5 120 that I had to tell the guy his best course was to donate it to charity and take the tax break.
he did and we are all happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.