Went electric

stresspoint

Ensign
I used to go to the local landfill.------Picked up a few repairable gas powered lawnmowers there.-----Have seen a few electric lawnmowers ( 115 volt and battery ) as well.----Funny things is a week later the electric ones are still there.
yes , but battery power is good for a cleaner environment , cant recycle , cant send to land fill.
the cycle has started , wait till the EVs need to be disposed of , there will be properties filled with cars with dead battery's just like the garden equipment at the local land fill.

scrap metal was happy to take all the old garden equipment i had when i did my shed cleanout , they even paid me for them :) "" win win ''.

Last edited:

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I personally don’t care if a person likes and wants electric or gas. I figure it’s a personal preference. Which ever one floats your boat, which ever one works for you, go for it. What’s drives me crazy and makes me angry is when the government dictates which one we can use. Here in California last year the state banned the sale of basically all small gas powered lawn equipment, mowers, leaf blowers, trimmers etc. You can buy them out of state and use them in California but can’t buy them here. That is idiotic and nonsensical.
So use gas or electric for what ever reason but don’t force one or the other on us. (And for those trying to save the planet, remember rechargeable electric battery operated tools , vehicles etc. don’t make electricity, they store it. And the electricity they store is mostly produced from fossil fuels)

nola mike

Vice Admiral
In many places electricity used to charge EV batteries is generated by burning dirty coal.----A lose , lose for the environment.
This whole tired "using dirty coal to get electricity" argument has been disproven so many times ...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Worse yet is putting dams in rivers all over the world.---Just to generate power.------A 100 years from now do your grand kids need cheap electricity or fish to eat ?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
The dirty clean debate has been hashed to death all over the internet for YEARS and yall ain't gonna settle it this time here on iboats.

My point was about cost.

I've used ryobi for 25 years or more, battery has never changed.

I do handyman work and used them installing DIRECTV back in the day, additions to the house...all in between. I use them almost daily.

Just bought this special. Now that I have a mower want a bigger ah. And my Sawzall goes thru a 4ah fairly quick.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I laugh about battery powered equipment. Only thing good about it is High PROFITS & tossing eorn out toxic batteries into the trash. Many people.

tphoyt

Ensign
I have close to $10,000 invested in Dewalt cordless tools and I’m not super happy about the battery longevity and worse the quality of the product these days. It’s changed from long ago imo. I have even purchased tools that were broken right out of the box. I would love to switch to Milwaukee but I’m to far into life to make that make sense now so I just live with.
Cordless for me is just simply perfect as I’m always working in places that have no power and dragging the generator around isn’t getting any easier.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I have close to $10,000 invested in Dewalt cordless tools and I’m not super happy about the battery longevity and worse the quality of the product these days. It’s changed from long ago imo. I have even purchased tools that were broken right out of the box. I would love to switch to Milwaukee but I’m to far into life to make that make sense now so I just live with.
Cordless for me is just simply perfect as I’m always working in places that have no power and dragging the generator around isn’t getting any easier.
I got into ryobi early, same thing. I'm very happy with my batteries and have not heard much bad about dewalt.

Side note Milwaukie and ryobi are owned by the same company.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
...Dewalt cordless tools and I’m not super happy about the battery longevity and worse the quality of the product these days. It’s changed from long ago...
I was given 18v Dewalt cordless tools 6 or 7 years ago and switched them over to the 20v type with the converter several years later. Bought all new batteries at the time and they're simply not holding up.

There are lots of videos showing a few tricks that can be tried to rejuvenate them. I haven't tried them yet, but if I do and the batteries are still no good, I'll just give them away and switch to the Hyper Tough brand completely. Even the little circular saw I have in that brand works pretty well, as long as you don't try to rush the blade.

A couple Dewalt videos.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have multiple battery-powered tools-- drills, a hedge trimmer, a pole saw, and a cutoff tool.

In February, an acquaintance lost to fire his barn and workshop filled with a lifetime of hand and woodworking tools and two tractors. The preliminary investigation zeroed in on a battery for a portable tool. I am unsure if it was in a charger, in storage or installed on a tool. The tool manufacturer made a visit to the scene.

I'm now considering how to safely store all the batteries I have.

lgaytan

Seaman
I've gone cordless electric with my weed trimmer, is a cheap Black and Decker 21V, it uses the same battery for my hand drills and other tools. It doesn't have the power of gas neither of a corded trimmer but it is so practical just to grab it and start it immediatelly that I don't miss the gas one, it is mainly used to edge my yard which is 1/4 acre not very heavy.
For lawn mowers I have a reliable Gas toro push mower, I investigated a lot before buying it and most of the electric lawnmowers will not cut my whole yard with one charge, most of them seemed to have enough power to cut the tall fescue I have but not juice enough to cut it at once. Now, I'm also a tech enthusiast and I have a robot mower, I must say that I´m so pleased with that thing, it still has some challenges to be improved, it gets stucked from time to time in holes in my yard and doesn't have the best software in my opinion (I have a chinese cheap version) but I love that it cuts the grass every day and it looks always freshly cut, apparently cutting it daily and leaving the trimms there help the health of the garden so it looks pretty nice, I use this robot for my front yard and the gas lawn mower for the back one, I will definetely in the future get a second robot

JimDirt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think that the cordless weed whacker would work great for me just doing the yards. Light, quiet, etc. But, like i pointed out the cost....after I spent, correction, it was $400 for the Stihl 2 stroke whacker. I also purchased a cutting blade with it as I had a bunch of kosia weed, 3-4 feet tall that I had to chop down. I could have spent the $300-$400 on Round Up.... The cordless whacker I don't think would have worked very good for that job.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I know, right? It just comes right outta the wall. That's how it is my house anyway. 🤡
Yes, your thinking is akin to how goldfish think. More than one variable at play, which gets too complicated sometimes for some. An EV using nothing but coal fired electricity is still more efficient than an ICE.

FLATHEAD

Commander
We had 15 mechanics at our old shop. Mix of plumbers, electricians, havc, carpenters. 15/20 years ago DeWalt was what everyone used. Till they started putting out junk. Most switched over to Milwaukee, myself and a few others went Makita. When things went lithium, battery troubles were pretty much not an issue anymore.
Bought my wife an EGO leaf blower for little stuff around here like the deck or flower beds. Works good for that, but could never touch the amount of leaves we get living in the woods. For the heavy work I use a sthil gas BR 600 backpack

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What is the thermal efficiency of a coal fired / steam turbine / gen set ?