Went electric

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I needed a new walk behind lawn mower and started researching. I ended up buying a Stihl electric 21" self propelled. I am going to go all electric with my outdoor equipment. Tools that are used infrequently it makes the most sense do not have to worry out fuel issues, or a cold blooded string trimmer. Plus mowing will be quiet too.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Neighbor bought an all electric snowblower.---Only about $2000 or so.----Comes with 3 batteries and the charger.-----I suggested he maybe get a spare battery.-----Looked up the price of the battery.----Found that each battery is about $300 or more.-----No thanks to this electric stuff.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Neighbor bought an all electric snowblower.---Only about $2000 or so.----Comes with 3 batteries and the charger.-----I suggested he maybe get a spare battery.-----Looked up the price of the battery.----Found that each battery is about $300 or more.-----No thanks to this electric stuff.

I will keep my gas snow blower. When I got home there were 2 boxes outside the garage, thought it strange in the smaller box was a battery. Opened up the box the mower was in and there was a battery and a charger. I did not order the $300 extra battery because it was $300 figured I would see how it mows on one battery before I spent the money. I looked at my invoice and I was not charged for the spare so I called customer service to return the battery, they asked if it was damaged, no, did I want my card credited, no I did not order or pay for it. I was told just to keep it. a $300 gift my lucky day.

tphoyt

Ensign
P poopoo
I will keep my gas snow blower. When I got home there were 2 boxes outside the garage, thought it strange in the smaller box was a battery. Opened up the box the mower was in and there was a battery and a charger. I did not order the $300 extra battery because it was $300 figured I would see how it mows on one battery before I spent the money. I looked at my invoice and I was not charged for the spare so I called customer service to return the battery, they asked if it was damaged, no, did I want my card credited, no I did not order or pay for it. I was told just to keep it. a $300 gift my
You will love it it’s a great mower

flashback

Captain
I will keep my gas snow blower. When I got home there were 2 boxes outside the garage, thought it strange in the smaller box was a battery. Opened up the box the mower was in and there was a battery and a charger. I did not order the $300 extra battery because it was $300 figured I would see how it mows on one battery before I spent the money. I looked at my invoice and I was not charged for the spare so I called customer service to return the battery, they asked if it was damaged, no, did I want my card credited, no I did not order or pay for it. I was told just to keep it. a $300 gift my lucky day.
So how does it do on one battery I'm guessing that you have given it a go. I have an electric weed Wacker that gets it done.

tphoyt

Ensign
I got one last year because everyone is always complaining noise where I work. We get an hour to an hour and half out of a battery depending on how high the grass is.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Battery life will get shorter as it ages....but how long before it becomes a problem ??? With small city size lots the electric options might be fine but with 5 acres I would need to many batteries. Tried the electric weed wacker, returned it after a week.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I used to go to the local landfill.------Picked up a few repairable gas powered lawnmowers there.-----Have seen a few electric lawnmowers ( 115 volt and battery ) as well.----Funny things is a week later the electric ones are still there.

tphoyt

Ensign
Battery life will get shorter as it ages....but how long before it becomes a problem ??? With small city size lots the electric options might be fine but with 5 acres I would need to many batteries. Tried the electric weed wacker, returned it after a week.
I think I’m getting shorter and losing power with age as well.
Battery power is taking over. The next town over from me is trying to put a ban of gas leaf blowers. I’m sure if it passes other towns will follow.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Battery power is taking over. The next town over from me is trying to put a ban of gas leaf blowers. I’m sure if it passes other towns will follow.
The county next to us banded gas powered blowers last year.
Trimmers are next in the docket.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Have gone electric for trimmer, blower, and "hedge trimmer'- OK for light duty use, and now the kids can get me drills, lights, etc that go with my 'system'. Much easier to deal with especially when transporting to other places that need some light duty work done. Timing works out for me, no more heavy duty physical work these days, that's for younger people..

Sure glad I still have gas-powered mowers, for now

matt167

Captain
I have an electric weed wacker which is okay for my 1/4 acre. But lawn tractor and snowblower are gas powered.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I sold my gas Makita chainsaw a few years back. It was really powerful and did an absolute ton of work around my place while I was clearing it out. But, it just wasn't needed anymore.

So, I switched to a small electric 20v Hyper Tough chainsaw for the little work that I need it for nowadays. It works great, so I bought a Pole Saw to go with it, then a string trimmer and leaf blower as well. Surprisingly, they all work very well and the batteries really hold a charge.

I haven't used my Dewalt cordless tools for awhile and may end up giving them away.

alldodge

Staff member
Have Dewalt 18 and 20V several things. Picked up the 18 to 20V adapter and that was great. Old 18V skill saw would hardly make it thru two 2x4 before Bats were dead. Now a 5Ah Bat has never run out when using, so far that is

Impact 1/4 and 1/2 drive, grease gun, drill, and latest is hand held chain saw

Now I'm not giving up the gas powered chain saws, pole saw which adapts to weed wacker, or hedge trimmer

Have 3 mowers, and Admiral says they are small, medium and large
small - 52 zero turn
medium - 72 inch Kubota F3990
large - 95 hp Kubota tractor pulling 15 Bat wing

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
----Looked up the price of the battery.----Found that each battery is about $300 or more.-----No thanks to this electric stuff.

My math. I get about 10 years out of my Ryobi on 4ah batteries, even at five years life the gas is a losing proposition to electric financially. If you had to pay the costs of combustion all at once when you bought a machine you might think differently
7mowing months
30week per year to mow
$4per gallon
$20yearly oil/filters
$141TTL yearly cost
$1,41210 year combustion cost

now I'm not arguing against combustion for when it is needed so don't throw that at me. I have electric push, Deere gasser, electric weedeater for my one acre with half of that fenced and 56 trees.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Tried going electric about 10-12 years ago. When it came time to replace batteries ( about 5-6 years ) they were no longer availiable. Tools had been upgraded and old style batteries no longer availiable. Happened to me twice, had to end up buying all new tools. There are places for electric tools just like there are places where combustion tools are better. With things changing rapidly, not sure I could count on replacement batteries or other parts some 10 years later !!

JimDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My neighbor a couple of weeks ago was talking up the DeWalt battery weed whacker. I looked at the new ones, 20v, $130...not bad. Then I see the 20v, 10ah batteries, $360 for 2 and another 100 or so for a charger.... That's a tough pill to swallow especially after I spent $370 for a Stihl 2 stroke weed whacker just last year. Cordless mower is a no bueno for me. My 0 turn Bobcat finally crapped out and I couldn't find the gearbox that I needed, this was first mowing after putting a new electro-clutch in it. I bought a used 52" Toro commercial 0 turn with the 19hp Kawasaki engine with brand new hydros and battery for $2200. I've mowed 2 times with it and works well, but doesn't cut as nice as the Bobcat and is bulkier and doesn't manuver as well. It also mulches so I don't have to go out to the pasture and dump the grass. As a bonus my neighbor knew a guy that wanted the Bobcat, so I got $700 back on it.

alldodge

Staff member
No idea what kind Bat tools your getting (did not say), but DeWalt has been around many years and still working. Bats cost much less then what your saying. Current 10Ah Bat is $115 and that isn't even looking hard for a deal.

But just like G-Dad always said, first liar doesn't stand a chance

JimDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No idea what kind Bat tools your getting (did not say), but DeWalt has been around many years and still working. Bats cost much less then what your saying. Current 10Ah Bat is $115 and that isn't even looking hard for a deal.

But just like G-Dad always said, first liar doesn't stand a chance
I looked at the DeWalt stuff at my local D&B supply. 1 20v 10ah battery was $259, a pack of 2 was $369.