Water pickup tube Evinrude 15HP

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1983 Evinrude 15HP. So I have been having problems with my evinrude 15hp running hot at idle and weak stream from tell tale.. I decided to check a few things out today on the motor to try to target the problem. First thing I did was to pull the thermostat housing from the back of the engine. To my surprise I found that there was no thermostat in the engine. Wouldn't the engine not heat up at all without a thermostat and what problems could have been cuased by it not being in there? I then decided to check the new impeller and housing kit the I recently installed to check and see if the impeller was installed in the correct orientation. When I pulled the foot I noticed that the copper water pickup tube came out with the foot. I am having trouble trying to get it back into place. Does the powerhead need to be removed to re-install the pickup tube? I was thinking of pulling the head to check the water jackets but I don't know if I want to do that just yet. If y'all think I should I def will pull it today or tomorrow. The thermostat housing was not blocked in any way it was just a little cuddy inside, like alge was growing on the casing inside. Any advice is much appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water pickup tube Evinrude 15HP

Just a thought. You may have an upper water tube grommet that is swelled up.

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im guessing the powerhead needs to come off to replace that? I guess I can do that. I also have been seeing a lot of bubbles coming out the the spot between the tiller handle swivel and the lower housing. Ill try to take a video of it when I get the new thermostat back on and get it running again.

Rick.

Captain

I doubt if you will be able to get the tube back in but you might as well try. If you pull the power head to do it then replacing the grommet Boobie spoke of is very wise. They do go bad and stop flow when they do. As far as running your engine with no stat the plugs foul quicker, more fuel/oil mix drains from the leg after use and they tend to carbon up quicker. Short term won't hurt a thing but long term you should have a stat in place. Best of luck. Rick.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

To do a positive fix to the water tube you need to pull the powerhead and exhaust fitting. The tube is swollen at the top, and the grommet goes over the swollen end, then the tube is inserted down into a hole in a flange at the top of the exhaust leg. The exhaust leg assembly is then bolted to the powerhead. It would be very hard to get the tube properly inserted up into the grommet properly from the bottom without pulling the powerhead. The tube would be very likely to pop the grommet out of proper position and partially cover the end of the tube.

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im gonna pull the powerhead tomorrow and replace the water tube grommet and anything else that needs a good go through while PH is off. Can I mkae my own gaskets for the thermostat housing...Maybe with High temp RTV? Also I am thinking of pulling the head and cleaning it up as well but I may wait till I get the new stat in and the water tube and grommet properly fixed before removing head. I appreciate all the advice guys. Ill get back to ya.

AlTn

Commander

easier to remove the head and the water cover with the powerhead removed...take pics/notes of the shift linkage arrangement if working w/o a manual...leeroysramblings.com...9.9 /15 hp. maintenance and repair is invaluable ...rtv getting into the water passages is something to consider...I'd recommend not using it at all...might consider replacing the seal and oring within the crankcase head while it's accessible as well...read up on head surfacing using a flat surface and sandpaper < youtube vids no doubt >...there're youtube vids as well showing the powerheads off and that upper grommet getting replaced

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was just sprayed water with the hose up the water tube and got a very strong flow from the tell tale...So doesn't that mean that the grommet under the powerhead would not be restricting the flow? I just want to make sure that I don't remove the powerhead to find that the grommet is not the problem. Also it looks like the water tube grommet that I found on the Iboats web site only fits the 40-50HP OMC. I can't seem to find a replacement for the 15hp.

AlTn

Commander

part#0324045..you can always put the l/u back on and see

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I got the powerhead pulled off today....Let me tell ya it was a son of a gun to get off. Anyways I am not really happy with what I am seeing. Lots of salt corrosion on everything. I have it soaking in salt away as I type this. I didn't see any kind of water tube grommet. I am guessing that the thing was original and has since dissolved into nothing. I also noticed that the exhaust plate is significantly corroded and going to need to be replaced. I took a fe pics with my phone to show y'all. I hope that what I am seeing doesn't mark the end of this project. The motor runs good but I am sure that all this corrosion on the bottom was causing the lack of strong water flow from pee hole (even with new water pump kit) and also the cause of the exhaust leak that I had between the motor pan and exhaust housing. evinrude1.jpgevinrude2.jpgevinrude3.jpg

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I got it all cleaned up and 90 percent of the corrosion damage was on the exhaust. I am going to see if I can find another exhaust and gasket. Hoepfully this will solve the issue. I honestly wouldnt expect to get more than 5 more years out of this motor if I am lucky.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The water tube grommet is in the exhaust hsg where the water tube fits into. As stated above by AIT, the grommet is part # 324045. Did you replace that ??

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I took some pics of the exhaust housing and it was severaly corroded. The spot where the water tube grommet goes was completely gone (See below pics). I am going to order a new manifold, gasket, and water tube grommet. Whoever had this motor before me sure didn't flush it enough. I also noticed some rusting on the lower head gasket. Doesn't look like it is leaking yet but may need to be changed in the future. If I pull the head to clean the water jackets and replace with a new gasket can I just sand the head with 180 grit on a smooth surface or does it need to be machined?evinrude4.jpgevinrude5.jpgevinrude6.jpg

Rick.

Captain

Sand on a very flat surface no need to machine it. !80 might be a little coarse but I've no doubt it will work. Have you tried salvage yards or ebay for the exhaust? would be much cheaper. Rick.

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Should there be only one water pickup tube on this motor (on the exhaust manifold, Housing)? I just found a video of someone doing a 9.9 rebuild Johnson on YouTube and noticed there was two tubes? Most of the engines down here in Charleston have been subjected to years of salt water so most of the time you have to buy new parts. Ill check it out though.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think you can salvage that exhaust leg. Here are a couple of pics of the leg off a '92 15hp that I rebuilt. You can see that two of the corners of your leg are completely corroded away. The first corner holds the upper end of the water inlet tube. The other corner holds the end of a short tube that drops water coming out of the powerhead down inside the exhaust chamber in the middle outer leg.

Exhaust Leg 2.jpgExhaust leg 1.jpg

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So before I get all my new parts bolted up I want to spray some zinc primer or paint on the base of the powerhead, the inside of the exhaust casing, as well as the new exhaust housing to make sure that any further corrosion at stopped. I want this engine to last for years to come. Is painting everything on the inside ok, or should I just leave it alone?

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So before I get all my new parts bolted up I want to spray some zinc primer or paint on the base of the powerhead, the inside of the exhaust casing, as well as the new exhaust housing to make sure that any further corrosion at stopped. I want this engine to last for years to come. Is painting everything on the inside ok, or should I just leave it alone?

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am wondering if hitting this thing with some black engine enamel paint would work. Only on the spots where I see corrosion and not on the gasket or seating surface.