Water pickup tube Evinrude 15HP

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water pickup tube Evinrude 15HP

The 2nd tube you see on some (exhaust water tube) will/will not be there depending on the year of Mfg. Early ones from 1974 to maybe 1980 (now don't hold me to this date) would have not had any exhaust tubes but just blubber away from under the upper outlet, later they had tubes maybe 4" long & then later yet maybe 10".

My thoughts here are that the 74-76 had no tell tale, but used a blubber hole that exhaust water was mixed with exhaust gases, so they needed no tube as the blubber hole was high on the outer housing. After the tell tale was used, this just idea lingered there for no real reason, but maybe they finally figured the water did better getting it away from the powerhead ??

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

The BRP catalog shows a "Tube water outlet 15 MODELS ONLY" It appears to only be a few inches long. I've found that I can make these tubes from copper tubing I buy at the hardware store.

DLH

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, I am gona make my own. I figures I could make one for a few dollars or less. What do y'all think about painting the corroded area under the powerhead after I clean it up a bit more? Will this affect the performance of the engine in any way?

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, I am gona make my own. I figures I could make one for a few dollars or less. What do y'all think about painting the corroded area under the powerhead after I clean it up a bit more? Will this affect the performance of the engine in any way?

Maybe someone else knows a reason not to do it but I can't how it could cause a problem. I like your idea of using the zinc primer.

The diagram showing the water outlet tube shows a double bend in it. Maybe you can look at the diagram and your motor to determine why it's there.

DLH

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

The double bend on the water inlet tube is to get the tube pointing vertically down, but right next to the exhaust leg. IE, it comes vertically down out of the powerhead flange, bends to point over towards the lower part of the exhaust leg, then does an exactly
reverse bend so that it's pointing straight down again. In my second picture above, the lower end of the water tube should end up
just touching the center of the cleat-shaped protrusion on the water tube (straight down from my thumb). The tube has been rotated out of that position in the pic. It needs to end up there because it has to align with the hole in the outer leg to drive straight down into the water pump.

The shorter tube is not as critical. All it has to do is end up with it's lower end inside the exhaust passage at the rear of the outer leg, so the water drops down into the exhaust passage.