Water in the intake

Erico624

Seaman
When I had my head gasket failure the water was in the oil/engine for about a week before I could get the boat off the mooring, though I did drain it out before I hauled it in. After I got it back on land I changed the oil 3 times and drained the engine after each time it was run. When I pulled the cyl heads to do the repair, I removed each lifter to inspect the cam lobes and they looked like new. No real corrosion anywhere that I could find.
As far as the bearings, when I started it up after the repairs, there were no odd bearing noises with the engine under load, oil pressure readings were exactly the same as before, and oil analyses I did after the repair did not show elevated metals suggesting bearing wear.
So if you act quickly, do numerous oil changes AND drain the block each time you MIGHT be able to save it.
BTW the water in mine was SALT water.
Here's a pic with the manifold removed, not much rust there eh?
Only real rust I found was in the cyl head combustion chamber area of the cyls that has water in them. You can see that in the 2nd and 3rd pic.
Also did the ballon test and bank 1 is not hold air in the ballon. Thinking maybe valves. Which means pull the heads.

Erico624

Seaman
When I had my head gasket failure the water was in the oil/engine for about a week before I could get the boat off the mooring, though I did drain it out before I hauled it in. After I got it back on land I changed the oil 3 times and drained the engine after each time it was run. When I pulled the cyl heads to do the repair, I removed each lifter to inspect the cam lobes and they looked like new. No real corrosion anywhere that I could find.
As far as the bearings, when I started it up after the repairs, there were no odd bearing noises with the engine under load, oil pressure readings were exactly the same as before, and oil analyses I did after the repair did not show elevated metals suggesting bearing wear.
So if you act quickly, do numerous oil changes AND drain the block each time you MIGHT be able to save it.
Only real rust I found was in the cyl head combustion chamber area of the cyls that has water in them. You can see that in the 2nd and 3rd pic.
Hello, i went and recheck the valve adjustment again. Seems some might have been tightened to much. I redid the valve check with starting at number 1 cylinder, then 90 degrees and followed the firing order. Loosen all then tighten easy till slack is gone on push rod ip and down. Then half turn.

Erico624

Seaman
Put the intake back on think I didn’t tourque the manifold right just found should be 35ft. Intake back on conpression test all 8 cylinders at 180 psi.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you have the Vortec it’s like 13-15 ft lbs the pre Vortec like mine is 30-35.
Sorry looks like you gotta do it again

Last edited:

Erico624

Seaman
If you have the Vortec it’s like 13-15 ft lbs the pre Vortec like mine is 30-35.
Yeah set it at 18 aluminum intake. Compression still the same 150-180. So thats a good thing after readjusting the valves and reinstalled intake. Starting to look like intake gaskets no? Maybe i can fill with water and pressure test once i get new intake gaskets.

Erico624

Seaman
Do you have a idea of what part number to get for vortec Intake gaskets?