Water in bellows

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
5 year old bellows need to be replaced. Don't risk a drive that cost many thousands of dollars on bellows that are less than $100. 5 years is when you should be replacing these.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I was just reading threads in bellows replacement and achris made reference to gluing the large robber o-ring into into the bell housing before installing the drive. The last two times I installed the drive (at the beginning of the last two boatng seasons) I forgot to use bellow adhesive and just stuch the big o-ring in the bell housing before installing the drive.

I just looked in my manual and it says failure to glue the ring in could allow water into the bellows. I'm wondering if that is my problem...

I know the bellows will need replacing and I'll do it if needed, but if I can hold off until a better time...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I never use adhesive to glue the o-ring. just a dab of grease, never an issue.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If seated properly the large Oring should keep water out of the drive bellows when paper gasket/ shift shaft bushing fails. IMO your bellows has a tiny leak.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
OK, it sounds like I just need to suck it up and replace the bellows.

Does this look like everything I'll need to pick up?

- OEM Transom Service Repair Kit - Mercruiser 30-803099T1 (I don't really need the gimbal bearing included in the kit, but it looks like buying individual components would be even more expensive than buying the kit and saving the gimbal bearing)
- Exhaust bellows expander tool (Merc 91-45497A1) - I'm thinking of picking up an aftermarket version -- any brands that are good (or that should be avoided?)
- universal socket for my 1/4" drive
- Hinge pin tool Mercruiser #91-78310
- bellows adhesive

Anything else I need? I've seen some reference to a 'bellows sleeve tool' (91-818162) but in reading threads here about bellow replacements, I don't see much mention of that tool. Is it necessary?

Optional stuff:
- Trim senders - my trim limit switch died and I have it jumpered currently, but I'm wondering if I should replace them as long as I'm changing out the transom stuff...
- Lower shift cable - no problems with this... I'm less sure there's a need to replace it if it's working OK?

All opinions welcome! Thanks!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Really no need to replace the exhaust bellows.

If that's the case, it might be cheaper to just buy individual parts and replace the U-joint and shift cable bellows. What about the water hose? Does it need replaced?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Another bellows question: from reading another thread on this topic, it looks like Don S. and Bondo have use Perfect Tune to slide on the U-joint bellows to the gimbal housing side. I also see reference to a 'sleeve installation tool' (91-818162). Is that tool necessary if Power Tune is used?

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think that is for the bell housing and it is my understanding that you will not need that tool,you can push the retaining ring in with your fingers using that method. Get a pair of Walmart BBQ tongs and bend them out 90deg at the ends,it works slick for exaust. Nows the time if you are considering r and r the limit and sender switches.Tear it down before you go far parts,flat rate shipping.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Thanks!

The trim limit and sender switches are already on the list. My trim limit went out a year or two ago, and I have it jumpered to override it, but I'd prefer if it worked.

Thanks again...

Jim