Volvo SX Gimbal Greese Zurk Tube

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don-

I had my tube slip out of my VP SX drive last year. The shop I took it to didn't blame it for any water intrustion when I took it there for my winter checkup, they just replaced the tube, (along with the gimbal bearing and bellows). I would like do the fix mentioned on previous threads on my OD, (replacing the tube with a 45 deg zurk. Do you have to pull the gimbal bearing? It's looks like you should from the pics. I've never pulled my drive myself so don't have experience with doing so.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=380502

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo SX Gimbal Greese Zurk Tube

Yes, you need to pull not only the gimbal bearing, but the bellhousing the drive attaches too to get access. The reason for pulling the bearing is in order to clean out the shavings from the tap. You don't need those in the bearing. The bad part is, if you pull the bearing, you have to replace it. The job of pulling the bearing damages it.
The reason for the zirk is some of those tubes leaked, it didn't matter if you replaced the tube with a new one, sealed it, or glued it, they leaked, but going to the zirk only stopped the leak.

wired1236

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I guess I have two choices

1. Replace a perfectly good bearing now and put a new zirk in w/o a hose or...

2. Leave it be and check the bearing next fall. If it's leaking still, replace it all again with the new zirk.

I guess I'll go with #2 as long as you think it will survive a season as is. I put about 50 hours on it a summer.

Another question, how do you get to the zirk w/o a hose on it? Is there room to crank the drive to one side and get to the zirk?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I guess I'll go with #2 as long as you think it will survive a season as is.

I didn't say that. I said it might not leak. If you look at my avatar, you will see the crystal ball has a big crack in it.

With just the zirk, you can turn and raise the drive and use a grease gun with a hose on it. Works fine.