Please help

Michael Kirk

Cadet
I was given this boat for free over the weekend. It has been sitting for about
5+ years, under an awning. It was filthy and full of owl dung, but she cleaned up pretty good. I love the body style and since I got it for free I have decided to restore it. The title says its a 1972 Fiberform - does anybody know what model it is? It is 18ft long, a tri hull, and has a 1970 Evinrude 115HP.

Game plan:

New back to back boat seats
New out door carpet
Replace all seat cushions
Re-paint the blue trim throughout the boat

The motor appears to be in good condition although the propneeds to be replaced. I took the coveroff and it looks very clean. Since it has been sitting for 5 years, any advice as to how I should tackle the motor?

Any advise on doing and economical restoration.....?

Attachments

• 1219091425a.jpg
    1219091425a.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 4

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Please help

Sounds like you have some good plans for her!
Have you checked the transom and stringers for soundness?
Also, you can use photobucket to put full-size pics in the post! Just upload your pics to photobucket and use the link code for full-size pics in forums. Make sure they are 640X480 (I think that is the accepted size on here-mods will clarify if I am wrong)

TitanTea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Free is the best kind! You know you can sell Owl pellets (dung). You could use the cash for your restore. :D

almostblue

Cadet

I was given this boat for free over the weekend. It has been sitting for about
5+ years, under an awning. It was filthy and full of owl dung, but she cleaned up pretty good. I love the body style and since I got it for free I have decided to restore it. The title says its a 1972 Fiberform - does anybody know what model it is? It is 18ft long, a tri hull, and has a 1970 Evinrude 115HP.

Game plan:

New back to back boat seats
New out door carpet
Replace all seat cushions
Re-paint the blue trim throughout the boat

The motor appears to be in good condition although the propneeds to be replaced. I took the coveroff and it looks very clean. Since it has been sitting for 5 years, any advice as to how I should tackle the motor?

Any advise on doing and economical restoration.....?

Looks like a 72 Beachcomb to me. I can't remember if they use a foam sandwich hull like the Whalers.. but if so and there is mosisture you need to abandon it now ! Great that you will be restoring a "classic" - same goes for the outboard. Finding the original brochures, magazine photos, etc. will add to the retro experience.

jt185

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check floor, stringers and transom for rot first. Nice looking boat! This restoration section is filled with information and some really talented, thrifty, creative people. Read and post questions before you start your project

Side note: I taught an elementary aged science unit using owl pellets. The students would carefully take the pellets apart and reassemble rodent skeletons. Kind of morbid, but very educational. The owl pellets were purchased from folks who harvest them. Real science that beats the heck out of the boring textbooks when I was a kid.

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!

First a few items for your outboard motor.......

Read these... ;)
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=188767

Post your outboard questions here.....
http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

The real route you need to consider is this......
Checking the hull for being sound and inspect for evidence of rot and weakness......... check the outboard and see if you can wake it up........ then the last part of this route is to do the pretty stuff..... paint carpet seat etc.... :)

One other helping note...... please use specific titles in your thread.... titles such as HELP or help please do not express what the topic is!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That outboard is an electric shift model. It's a good system when it's working but parts for it are no longer made. I'd want to verify that it was shifting properly before dumping money into it. Parts shouldn't be an issue for the rest of the powerhead (carb, electrical, etc) just anything related to the electric shift.

As was mentioned, check carefully for rot. You want a solid deck and transom. Any soft spots in the floor could indicate more serious problems with the underlying structure. All fixable though.

tallcanadian

Captain

Oh nice, finally, another tri hull. Welcome aboard and have fun with your boat. As said above, check the deck (floor) for soft spots. Check the transom for soft spots and cracks, both inside and on the top. Be nice if you can get that motor fired up. Of course you can find a good outboard if need be. What are your plans for the boat? Paint? Any major fiberglass damage? Keep the pics coming.

Michael Kirk

Cadet
Houston we have a problem

Houston we have a problem

After reading posts at work yesterday, I went home highly motivated and went to work on my boat. I pulled off all of the carpeting and the thin layer of fiberglass mesh.......Wet rotted plywood....I pulled about half of it off before it got dark. Under the plywood is foam. Do I need to take out all of the foam down to hull and stringers or can I stip it down to the foam and let the Arizona sun dry it out before I replace the plywood floor??? I am determined to rebuild her - her transom is solid.... After a few beers last night I named her "Hornet" after a famous WWII Aircraft Carrier..I will post some pictures this evening....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Houston we have a problem

Rip out the foam. It will never dry.

Michael Kirk

Cadet
Removing Foam

Removing Foam

After I remove all of the plywood, how do I remove the foam. Do I just start digging it out until I reach the hull?

tallcanadian

Captain

Rip out the foam. It will never dry.

You can lay it in all the Arizona sun you want, throw it away. Check the stringers and transom. The foam can wait for now. Some people don't use foam, some use empty plastic pop bottles, some use those pool noodles. And some use the proper foam flotation. It's your boat, do it your way. Can't wait for some pics.

tallcanadian

Captain
Re: Removing Foam

After I remove all of the plywood, how do I remove the foam. Do I just start digging it out until I reach the hull?

Most of my foam came out in big chunks. The foam was the easiest to remove. You will see that in my pics. Just follow my link on my build. Might give you some ideas. Just dig it all out.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

My Dad was stationed on the Hornet back in the day...before me. You can pull the foam up in chunks, with a roofer's hatchet, spade fork or flat bladed shovel. Looks like a good project. Search the forum for Skanky Beast, by JasonJ...takes you right through restoring a tri-hull...that thread is probably in the finished projects portion of the Boat Restoration forum here on Iboats.

Michael Kirk

Cadet
Pictures of "Hornet"

Pictures of "Hornet"

I down loaded a bunch of pictures to photo bucket. How do I link them to this forum????

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice looking boat, great name! Good luck on the restore, you came to the right place.

Michael Kirk

Cadet
Pictures of "Hornet"

Pictures of "Hornet"

Here are pictures of "Hornet" my project. I want to restore her right but I am on a budget. These pictures were taken about a week ago. Since then - the foam has completely dried out.... I have checked a number of spots and dug a few inches deep and it's dry...Can I skip the step of taking all of the foam out?? The transom is solid and in very good shape. How far in front does the plywood go?? I am thinking the next step is to remove the rest of the plywood and replace with new plywood and resin her and replace the carpeting...Any advise would be greatly appriciated...

http://s830.photobucket.com/albums/zz226/ike1964/Hornet/