Volvo 5.7 overheating

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo 5.7 overheating

You need to check and see what temp you are really operating at by using an IR temp gauge. Could very well be that you aren't overheating at all.

Fun Times

Staff member

you may be sucking air and it could be happening even in the outdrive. I had a similar problem (search my threads). Hook up clear hoses to the water pump inlet and outlet and look for air bubbles. If you have them then theres your problem. You will se a link to a volvo overheating troubleshooting guide in my thread on this tops that Don S posted

Good luck
X 2 with the clear hose idea looking for air bubbles and testing with the IR temp gun like bruceb58 said. You may have some bad rubber grommets or gaskets some where between the drive all the way up to impeller housing it's self.

If your drive looks any thing like whats in this link then there is a good chance part numbers 1 & 2 are going bad and that could make the engine heat up like that. http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/apps...E=93&INAME=OMCVOLDiagrams/images/GLMOMC06-160

Sea Amigo

Cadet

OK I understand the air leaking into the suction side of the raw water pump, but +during the last run the temp of the engine gauge was 230 and I could put my hands on each riser while running at that temp with no problem. That wouldn't be possible without a good water flow.

What symptoms would I have with a bad circulation pump and a good raw water pump?

havasuboatman

Ensign

You could put your hands on the risers with a temp reading of 230 degrees?
You need to start looking at your temp sending unit and gauge.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That's what I was saying in my post above

Sea Amigo

Cadet

The risers have plenty of water going through them cooling them off. The temp sending unit is next to the thermostat housing on the in intake manifold. When I touch the intake manifold or the engine block it is HOT. The risers are warm but not HOT. That's why I believe that the there is plenty of water but its not circulating through the engine to cool it down. I took the hose off of the circ pump and it was definitely to to the boiling point. I beleive that the temp gauge is accurate in telling me that the engine is overheating.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Are you positive the thermostate is installed into the upper part of the thermostat housing properly and held in place with a circlip?

Fun Times

Staff member

The risers have plenty of water going through them cooling them off. The temp sending unit is next to the thermostat housing on the in intake manifold. When I touch the intake manifold or the engine block it is HOT. The risers are warm but not HOT. That's why I believe that the there is plenty of water but its not circulating through the engine to cool it down. I took the hose off of the circ pump and it was definitely to to the boiling point. I beleive that the temp gauge is accurate in telling me that the engine is overheating.
Yes it could be the circ pump, You really should have a tool like this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451 to help know for sure.

If the engine is really getting that hot I would think the over heat warning horn would be going off as long as it was in working order, Normaly the horn would go off at anywhere from 196 plus degrees and that is a different sensor/switch from the gauge sensor.

carlfarey

Seaman Apprentice

I had to replace my sender unit after I had changed my risers etc, the overheat must have damaged it in some way. guage reads ok now. We found this after running it on water and using a lazer thermomenter on the engine at various points.

Carl.

Fun Times

Staff member

Circulating pumps rarely fail in this manner. What fails on these is that they leak or the bearing goes out.
I know, But without being there with the engine it's kind of hard to tell, And we have all seen weird things happen, Also I seen one guy post up somwhere and said he was able to remove the circulating pump and removed the back cover to the pump to clean out some grass of some kind and reinstalled the pump while he was still on the lake and the engine stoped over heating right after that. And I believe he was saying about the same thing here it took the engine a little time to over heat also, So you never truly know sometimes is all i'm saying here.;):)

Sea Amigo

Cadet

I found the problem!
After I read Don S's post about the thermostat being locked in place well, I thought about it and decided to take it out and check it for operation. i removed it and put it in boiling water, guess what? No workY! From now on I guess I'll have to ops check a new thermostat because this one definitely gave me more problems than the lousy $20 that I paid for it. I put a new one in and viola! the engine purrs and stays at 140 degrees. Oh yes I did check it with an infra red thermometer and the gauge is off by about than 10 deg hotter than actual temp. That means that I never really got to redline!

Thanks to all for the responses and help. It would have taken me longer without your assistance.