Under Construction: Bateau.com TW28 Stretched

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hacked up Frame A. Top section will provide access to the anchor rode/chain locker. Middle section will likely be just storage and the bottom section a void space. I might be able to squeeze a battery in there for the windlass/bow thruster. Dunno yet.

spacer.gif
IMG_3583.jpg

Flew in Frame C to get it located. It'll require some mods to the stringers (I think they're a wee bit too long). Have a crack at that tomorrow.

spacer.gif
IMG_3585.jpg

Gotta go buy some coax and a splitter (HoneyDo), the Admiral is buying herself a small TV for her sewing room so she can watch the Olympics as she works.

Standby...

KnottyBuoyz

The heat has been relentless here lately. Yesterday mercury topped out at about 104F with himidex. Going to be hotter today! :faint2:

I managed to get in to the shed for a couple of hours this morning to get Frame C lined up along the 'BASELINE' as the designer reminded me. I seem to have had a brainfart and forgot all about the 'BASELINE" so not it's written in big letters on the inside of the hull! :facepalm:

IMG_1774.jpg

It's a bit of a beast to wrestle in to the boat and get it lined up. It's heavy and awkward. Lopsided. I've already had it in and out twice for trimming and will have to do it again to get it right.

More musings on deviating from the plans on today's web log update: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/08/at- ... peril.html

Standby....

PS. Connor Daniel Laporte (ETA end of September 2016). My first Grandchild! :joyous:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
remember, with boats.....fairing and paint make it what it aint...... in short, any imperfections will get covered up.

looking good

KnottyBuoyz

We finally got some relief from the heat. Very comfy, but lil' muggy, 19 C (66 F) in the shed this morning. Set to work getting Frame C fitted. No more big gaps and dead nuts on the baseline.

IMG_1778.jpg

Set to work filleting & taping the frame.

IMG_1779.jpg

I'll fillet & tape the other side tomorrow. Wee minor adjustment to the stbd side but that'll happen tomorrow as well. Admiral came out to survey the workings and strategize her sewing work space. Think we got that worked out and it'll be a nice feature once it's done.

Other than plenty of sanding up and down the stringers for the last layer of tape that's about it for today.

Standby....

KnottyBuoyz

Just some misc. stuff going on.

Got myself some 3/8" Cobalt drill bits to tackle the remaining holes on the stainless steel skeg. Cut through that stuff like a hot nail through cream cheese! :lol:

IMG_1781.jpg

But who knew a 3/8" SS bolt won't go through a 3/8" hole! :facepalm: Now I need a reamer to open up the holes. Frig.

Got a call from the mechanic working on our 4 cyl Yammy. He got it started. Just wanted to warm it up to change the oil. It ran away on him! Zoinks! Nothing hurt. He got it shut down by choking it out. Governor & fuel injection pump is seized up. *sigh* That's gonna cost a B.O.A.T. to fix. Oh well better than having to buy a new one at $4K US.

Fabricated a small bulkhead to go in the box keel in front of Frame E. This will form a nice little dry storage area.

IMG_1783.jpg

Went looking for the floor panel that'll go in here.

IMG_1784.jpg

And it's under a pile of crap in my leanto. *sigh*

IMG_1785.jpg

If it weren't pouring buckets outside I'd be in there after it. We desperately need the rain so I guess I can put off that activity for another day.

Project Manager (Ginger) and the Project Director (Grey Tom) came out to inspect the workin's!

spacer.gif
5BE36984-2A1C-4D22-B554-ABA30D79CB5F.jpg

They both barked some orders and left me to my own devices.

I did get Frame A located and will likely start fixing that in place soon. So friggin' much to do I can hardly wrap my head around it! :eek:

This time last year I was laying in the fabric on the inside of the hull.

spacer.gif
IMG_0712.jpg

The progress is slow but steady. You can't rush perfection right?

Standby.....

KnottyBuoyz

Puttered around this morning. Got the engine bay sanded. Not gonna fair it. No one will ever see it anyways. Had to put the engine template back in to locate where I can put the drip tray.

IMG_1795.jpg

Puttered around some more and made some brackets for the drip tray. By the time I got back to the boat it was HOT!

IMG_1796.jpg

35 C that's 95 F. Nope, boat shed closed!

Standby...

KnottyBuoyz

Stern bearing carrier assembled with Spurs line cutter attachment.

IMG_1815.jpg

Doesn't look like I did any damage to the cutlass installing it like a gorilla on crack! :faint2:

https://youtu.be/8FJJysKxphU

Taking the rest of the day off.

Standby...

KnottyBuoyz

Worked a bit in the keel this morning. Have to get the holes lined up for the skeg. Overdrilled so they can be filled with epoxy prior to installing the skeg. I got 5 of the 7 holes done today before it got too warm in the shed.

IMG_1825.jpg

Ya never get used to drilling holes in hull you just spent so much time on getting it right! :eek:

Few more pics & cordless drill battery repair on today's web log update: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/08/more-box-keel.html

KnottyBuoyz

Got all the holes drilled & gouged out. Managed NOT to cut all the way through! :D

A good healthy coat of mold release was on the bolts and I stuffed them 'up' through the holes in the bottom of the keel. Taped them in place and backfilled the holes with epoxy & chopped strands.

IMG_1835.jpg

When these are setup tomorrow I'll pull the bolts & sand smooth. Inching every closer to installing the skeg.

Few more pics on the web log update: https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/08/dri ... lling.html

KnottyBuoyz

I managed to spill some paint in the bilge today! :rolleyes:

IMG_1847.jpg

Took the last two days off. Very nice cool weather here but my get up and go, got up and went. Maybe just needed a break. Short day today too. Can't do much with wet paint inside the boat. Back at it tomorrow.

So our lil' Yanmar huffer has a seized governor rod in the fuel injection pump. The mechanic is trying to free it up to save the $1K rebuild fee. I appreciate it if he can. If not I'm willing to bite the bullet and get it rebuilt. Still no word from machine shop on rudder build. I'll check up on that tomorrow seeing as today's a holiday.

Standby...

Mikeopsycho

The bilge looks nice all painted up. What kind of paint did you use? BTW, I am really enjoying this thread and your blog!

KnottyBuoyz

The bilge looks nice all painted up. What kind of paint did you use? BTW, I am really enjoying this thread and your blog!

Thanks for the kind words Mike.

I used Interlux BilgeKote. Just rolled it on with a short nap roller. Prep was same as for epoxy. Vacuum down. Wipe down, two rag method and paint.

KnottyBuoyz

Drip tray glassed, painted & installed. Frames E2 & F trimmed to fit and ready to be glued.
IMG_1852.jpg

Poured some water on the bottom above the stringers to find the low point in the hull. Drilled two limber holes.
IMG_1854.jpg

Frames E2 & F will get glued and taped tomorrow and I'll continue to move aft on the port side. Once that's done I'll move the ladders around and do the stbd side.

https://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2016/09/dri ... holes.html

That is all for now. Standby....

Status
Not open for further replies.