Under Construction: Bateau.com TW28 Stretched

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I'm in the same boat pardon the pun when it comes to drill bits have all kinds but the one I need

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Port side aft fabric laid out to be gooped tomorrow. Just have to trim it up a bit in the back corner. This piece is 18' 6" long and should consume about 2 gallons of epoxy and take me 3 hours again to wet it out.

spacer.gif
IMG_0694.jpg

I'm not going to use peel ply this time either. Just resigned myself to a wee bit of sanding prior to the next layer going on.

KnottyBuoyz

took advantage of the cooler temps today to get some more done.

http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/08/leve ... glass.html

Started out having to level the boat (again). It settled 3" on one side since we flipped it last year. Half is sitting where my gravel driveway was and the other have (that sunk) was grass at one time.

Boat gobbled up another 1-1/2 gallons today! :rolleyes:

spacer.gif
IMG_0708.jpg

Switching stuff around tomorrow to do the starboard side & transom then guess what? Oh boy! I get to do it all over again! :facepalm:

Standby......

KnottyBuoyz

Wee diversion from boat building this morning but still sort of boating related. Ever since the 'Big Bubble' incident I've been thinking that it may have been caused by some sort of contamination from my air compressor, water or oil. Was contemplating bodging together a makeshift air dryer from an old air compressor tank then this morning the Canadian Tire model of air dryer was on sale. Lil' voice in my head said: "Buy It & Run" so I did! $13 in fittings etc. and FrankenManifold is born! :D

spacer.gif
553F5451-8916-483C-A8E2-3DE1AA53E6B9.jpg

Apologize for the crappy cell phone pics.

Few more pics etc. on today's web log update: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/08/litt ... lated.html

KnottyBuoyz

Starboard side bottom panel sanded & glass laid out. Just need a break from the heat and I'll get this gooped down. Doing the bottom & side in two sections just like the port side.

spacer.gif
IMG_0715.jpg

Heat warnings for today. 100+ with humidex. Think I'll be laying low this afternoon. ;)

Few more pics & nonsense on the blog update today: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/08/stbd ... glass.html

Standby....

KnottyBuoyz

Finally got a little relief from the heat. Hit the shed early and got to work!

spacer.gif
IMG_0718.jpg

Starboard side aft bottom panel wetted out.

spacer.gif
IMG_0719.jpg

Tomorrow the bow section.

Standby....

KnottyBuoyz

Port side inside done. Took over an hour longer than the other side. I couldn't get the fabric to wet out. What a PITA. Must have been a combination of the temperature & humidity or something. I dunno. :confused:

spacer.gif
IMG_0722.jpg

Gonna keep plugging away at it.

Standby....

KnottyBuoyz

looking good, bet you cant wait to get the remaining layers done.

Oh yeah! One more to go! Should go faster, it's a lighter fabric. Same stuff I put on the bottom. There'll be a finishing layer put on after all the frames & bulkheads & stringers are in place.

Thanks for looking in Scott.

Cheers!

KnottyBuoyz

Sanded in prep for more glass on the starboard inside & bulwarks. Didn't take too long but long enough to make it pretty much unbearable to goop it today.

spacer.gif
IMG_0723.jpg

Should take me about the same time as the port side did. Three hours and 2 gallons of epoxy. I'll only have the bottom section on the starboard side and the transom then it'll be onto the 12 oz fabric which I hope will go a lot faster.

Standby...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Maybe I missed it, but I am wondering, what is that small pipe going across the floor in this last picture? Call me dumb, I will probably figure it out, right before you tell me!

:eek:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Maybe I missed it, but I am wondering, what is that small pipe going across the floor in this last picture? Call me dumb, I will probably figure it out, right before you tell me!

:eek:
Yup... I was playing dumb too! Dumb is as Dumb does...lol. Was wondering da xact dame ding? Glad you asked.

KnottyBuoyz

That there pipe would be the bow thruster tube.

IMG_0474.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

Got a Lewmar 140TT2.2 KW thruster with remote control. When we're in the canals & locks the wife will be able to use it to control the bow.

lewmarthruster.jpg

Thanks for lookin' in. :)

Last edited:

KnottyBuoyz

Here's a better shot. Much earlier on in the project. The prop unit was installed to check clearances etc.

fb184e42.jpg

You can see the big chunk of Saertex (black carbon fiber stitched multiaxial fabric). Same stuff they used to make the O2 tanks for the space shuttle. I had a few yards I picked up cheap and used it on the bottom of the keel and the bow section. We shouldn't have any problems with hitting picnic tables in the river with this reinforcement! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.