Under Construction: Bateau.com TW28 Stretched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you could have used an 18" or 24" 1/4" drill bit extension and a set of leather gloves (acts as a bearing on the drill bit extension).

its rube goldberg, however may have allowed you to reach the bottom without having your head stuck in the keel.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
you could have used an 18" or 24" 1/4" drill bit extension and a set of leather gloves (acts as a bearing on the drill bit extension).

its rube goldberg, however may have allowed you to reach the bottom without having your head stuck in the keel.

I have one of those here somewhere. The operative word there was 'somewhere'. When I get this job done, Walla! There it'll be right in front of me! *sigh*

KnottyBuoyz

Working smaller sections that I can handle easier. Hope is to spend more time building than fixing up screw ups! We'll see how it works. So far so good.

spacer.gif
IMG_0595.jpg

Just one 4' section done along the starboard side. Getting hot today so called it quits at 11:00 when the temp in the shed hit 33C. I'll try to get 3 x 4' sections done tomorrow. I did do the back end of the keel in smaller sections and it worked out fine.

spacer.gif
IMG_0592.jpg

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/07/slow-steady.html

KnottyBuoyz

Another 12' section of the keel done. Going to try to wrap up this first layer in the box keel nonsense in a couple of days.

spacer.gif
IMG_0596.jpg

Next step will be bottom on the port side. I have to order some more glass for the starboard side.

Standby....

KnottyBuoyz

Removed the uprights & cross bars from the rolling frame. Thank The Maker they're out of the way. It'll be pleasant 'Not' smashing my head on them constantly!

spacer.gif
GOPR0016_1.jpg

Birds Eye View

spacer.gif
GOPR0014_1.jpg

Port side bottom panel will get glassed next. Just have to go round with the sander and dress up some fabric edges & shiny spots.

It'll be a 'Big Pour'. IIRC the time we did the outside bottom it took 11 hrs & 3 1/2 gallons of epoxy and that was with a helper mixing goop.

Standby...

Last edited:

KnottyBuoyz

First foray into cutting metal with woodworking tools! Laid out and cut the parts for the skeg.

spacer.gif
IMG_0648.jpg

Circular saw worked amazingly well but it killed my jig saw! :upset:

Too friggin' hot to do any epoxy work. Hit 102 yesterday with the humidex. I was out of the shed by 10:30. Had a decent breeze so worked with my new lil' welder on some mods to the dingy trailer.

Lots of pics and a 'non-sanding' video on today's web log update: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/07/the-skeg.html

KnottyBuoyz

Bit of welding this morning to finish up temporary bunks on my dingy trailer then started to lay out the thrust plate for the Python Drive.

spacer.gif
IMG_0651.jpg

Not much to look at right now. I have to get a 120 mm hole saw. That should be spendy! :facepalm: Couple of places I think I'll be able to use it later though. The clouds opened up so I had to call it quits.

Yesterday I beveled the edges of the skeg parts that'll get welded. Don't know if I did it right but it's done. I did it with my router.

spacer.gif
IMG_0649.jpg

Had good intentions of getting some fiberglassing done today but my back is kicking up a fuss. Dunno why that is. It's been really good for a couple of months now. Gettin' old suks! :cold:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when using power tools on aluminum, pick yourself up some stick wax to wax the blades. they will last longer and prevent the aluminum from galling.

Status
Not open for further replies.