Two batteries wired in parallel

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Two batteries wired in parallel

I'm having a real hard time understanding why you are working so hard to undermine the information I have put down here..... I have supplied alot of really good information and cited multiple resources and diagrams.... I have acurately stated both advantages and disadvanteges of several options.... I have not tried to tell anyone to do it only one specific way... Although I have a personal preference I have clearly stated that another choice has certain advantages over my own preference.....
Is the goal here to provide fellow boaters with as much knowledge as possible or is it to beat on your chest and put down all boarders?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I am sure fellow boaters will read all the info in this thread and make a decision wisely.

The 0.7V I stated earlier was incorrect and that is why I edited it out. Can be higher than 0.7V depending on what type of diode is in there.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am sure fellow boaters will read all the info in this thread and make a decision wisely.

Like to NEVER get in between an electronics discussion/ match between you two. :DWhat a wealth of knowledge!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I hope so

The 0.7V I stated earlier was incorrect and that is why I edited it out. Can be higher than 0.7V depending on what type of diode is in there.

It can also be lower or much lower depending on the type of diode such as germanium diodes at .3 vf and schotky diodes from .15-.46... or other circuits that if they perform as advertised put voltage loss at .04 volts...

Again I suggest you add some real data..... I am not an engineer but just a hobbyist..... I have been tinkering with things since I could walk. Not everything I touched turned into gold. In fact while I tend to be pretty good at building or fixing pretty much anything I find it has been a bumpy road. Often times while working with limited resources I have had to use things in a repair in ways that they were never intended because the only other option was failure.
As an engineer I am very surprised that you have such a narrow veiw on completing a task..... As the old saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat. My solution by working very well doesn't make yours wrong and vice versa.

I found this on wikipedia while striving to understand the circuits that might be used in that european made (among others) iso. I expect that you have probably heard of this but it is new to me. Possibly this is the "clever circutry the european company refered to and thus my "mosfet assisted diode" term, while not specifically correct, maybe wasn't quite so far fetched after all....

If not then maybe you know of more such circuits or devices.

"When less power dissipation is desired a MOSFET and a control circuit can be used instead, in an operation mode known as Active rectification.

A super diode consisting of a pn-diode or Schottky diode and an operational amplifier provides an almost perfect diode characteristic due to the effect of negative feedback, although its use is restricted to frequencies the operational amplifier used can handle."

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

I'm sticking with my one battery and no switch. :eek:

Only kidding, like a lot of the iboaters here, I'm planning on installing a second battery and switch set-up this spring. Thanks for the above information to help get me started.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

"When less power dissipation is desired a MOSFET and a control circuit can be used instead, in an operation mode known as Active rectification.
Basically, this is how the ACR is made. It has a few MOSFETS(depending on current capacity) with control circuitry. There is no rectification happening so the the control circuitry is not looking for "zero crossings" since we are working with DC here.