repairing outdrive on volvo penta

ryanm

Recruit
I was considering purchasing a 1975 Bayliner I saw online but it says it needs outdrive repair. The owner says it has a 305 GM outdrive with a volvo penta. I know nothing about boats but am somewhat mechanically inclined so I figured with some repair manuals, the internet, and lots of time I could work on it. So what kind of project am I getting in to and what cost would I be looking at assuming I try to repair myself?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: repairing outdrive on volvo penta

What type "Outdrive Repair" are they talking about? Ujoints? Seals? Total rebuild because the gears and bearings are gone?
Without the special tools needed, you can't rebuild a drive. And the internet can't do it for you.
Gears and bearings are available, but expensive. Probably the parts to rebuild a drive will cost a lot more than the used boat.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Or a used drive. You can get a used one on eBay for a v8 for less the 5 bills about everyday.

ryanm

Recruit

The guy only wants $600 for the boat. Said he put a rebuilt engine in it then outdrive went. I am not sure of the specifics. Unfortunately I am a nooobie when it comes to boats.

f_inscreenname

Commander

VP's are cheap (cost only). If you like the boat and its not rotten then buy it. But do your homework or you will be sorrier then you have ever been before.

Don S

A $600 boat means nothing more than it's a PROJECT, not a usable boat.
And you don't have a clue if the transom is rotten, the stingers are rotten or anything else. Brand new gears for the upper gear box are over $800. Not counting the bearings and seals.
I've had people bring in drives they bought off ebay that were the wrong type for their boat, or broken worse than the one they wanted to replace, or wrong gear ratio. But the seller is only going to tell you what you want to hear.
Unless you know a lot about boat repairs and what you are getting into with the repairs, a $600 boat is probably going to make you hate all boats.

ryanm

Recruit

I assumed it would be project. Just trying to find out if it's worth tackling. I am going to email the guy selling it to try to get more information about the condition of everything.

Don S

For 600 bucks, the condition of anything can't be good.

Just trying to find out if it's worth tackling.

That can only be determined by someone actually there looking, touching, and checking things to find out.
Not by asking a general question on a forum with no details or pictures or anything.