Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Troybilt/MTD riding Mower

Sorry

Last edited:

walleyehed

Admiral

I'll add my 2 cents here....NEVER hammer with an air hammer or hand-held....the direct force of the hit will actually scramble the magnetics in the flywheel and can cause ignition problems.
If you MUST use a hammer, remove the flywheel first.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

About the blue Kevlar belts,I have run them on my last 3 mowers and so far they wear great! They seem to grab better and wear longer...:)

i386

Captain

Well I'm still waiting for my parts to come in. I called the guy on Tuesday and gave him the part numbers for the belts. He said I don't have them but I can order them and have them tomorrow (Wednesday). He even made a point to tell me what time the UPS truck normally arrives (3:00PM). So Wednesday comes and I have a meeting after hours. Not wanting to miss my part, I send a txt message to wifey to pick up the belts. She didn't talk to the same guy I did, but the lady she talked to seemed very surprised that she expected those belts to be in. She said it normally takes a couple of days. WTF?

Well I can't complete the job without the pulley but I was hoping to get the belts on and routed up to the engine at least. Instead, I ended up sharpening the blades, washing the mower, hit all the grease fittings, and lubed the throttle and choke cable.

I'm off work at 4:00 on Fridays. If I have all the parts I'll have it back together and have the grass cut before dark.

dolluper

Captain

You might want to use the stuff for electrical wiring......name slips my mind ....it's used to prevent corrision between aluminin and copper wires when mixed esp if the new pulley is alum.......on those small engines I hate useing pullers.....I usually just cut the pulley off with a sawsall

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

Walleyehed, I agree that if you over due it, you can cause problems with the magnets. You must put the gun on the lowest setting and if you want to be sure, take the flywheel off first.

Another thing you have to watchout for, is heating the pulley and shaft. I have seen a few seals weakened that way. It is best to replace the bottom seal if you use too much heat or at least check for leaks after the first 15-20 minutes of mowing.

As you stated, I would never use a hand held hammer.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I replaced the belt on one like that a few years ago. I just bent the tabs back enough to get the belt on, then I tapped them back into place with a hammer. I guess I cheated:D

i386

Captain

All parts are in. I reassembled everything and the belt has WAY too much slack in it. Verified the belt path with the diagram in the manual. It's correct. Had wife verify and she agrees. The belt seems to be too big. Double checked all part numbers. They appear to be correct. Took the belt off (no small feat) and measured it. It's correct. Compared new belt to old belt. It's correct. I'm at a loss but I'm too disgusted with it to mess with it anymore tonight. Maybe it'll make sense tomorrow.

jameskb2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you mount the engine back in it's original location? You said you could slide the engine back to loosen the belt.....

i386

Captain

Did you mount the engine back in it's original location? You said you could slide the engine back to loosen the belt.....

Yes, there are 4 bolts holding the engine to the frame. The engine has to be aligned with these bolt holes to be bolted on. If the bolts are in, the engine is in the right place. Thanks though.

i386

Captain

Maybe it has something to do with how the belt rides in the variable speed pulley. It's hard to describe but if you've worked on 'em you may know what I mean. I'll look at it again tomorrow.

i386

Captain

Well it's fixed and the yard is cut!

The problem was with the variable speed pulley (CVT thing). I had it threaded up right, it just needed to work itself into place.

New oil, oil filter, spark plug and serviced the air filter. It's got all new belts and the blades are sharpened. All the moving parts are lubed and I even hit the grease fittings with a couple of pumps.

I also made a few upgrades which you might see in the pics.

DSC02334.JPG

Before

DSC02336.JPG

After

DSC02335.JPG

:D

DSC02337.JPG

Ten years young!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

From Celeron to P4 :eek: LOL my old MTD is 15+ years old and I am pretty sure it is running DOS 6!

It looks like you waxed it too! Got plans for a 12V beer cooler? Extra Cup holders?

Xcusme

Commander

Nice touch!

It does remind me of this web page...

hXXp://homepage.eircom.net/~nobyrne/ms-cars.htm

The keyring is a great counterpoise....:)

BobABooey

Recruit

Yes, there are 4 bolts holding the engine to the frame. The engine has to be aligned with these bolt holes to be bolted on. If the bolts are in, the engine is in the right place. Thanks though.
I have the same kind of tractor. I'm unable to loosen the bolt that holds the engine pulley - it spins pretty freely. I don't know where/what to hold so that I can loosen the bolt. I'd be interested in sliding the engine back - but I don't see how that helps me get the belt around the pulley.

Suggestions?

Bob

i386

Captain

I have the same kind of tractor. I'm unable to loosen the bolt that holds the engine pulley - it spins pretty freely. I don't know where/what to hold so that I can loosen the bolt. I'd be interested in sliding the engine back - but I don't see how that helps me get the belt around the pulley.

Suggestions?

Bob

The bolt holding the pulley on is screwed directly into the crankshaft so when you turn the bolt the whole engine turns. I used an old trick. Remove the spark plug and turn the engine until the piston is at its lowest position. A screwdriver can help you locate that. Then feed some rope into the spark plug hole. That'll hold the engine still while you remove that bolt. IIRC I put a torch to it to help loosen it up. You don't want to man handle it too much as you may damage the engine.

It's been a while since I looked at mine. If you can get the belt around it by just loosening the engine mount bolts and leave the pulley alone that would be ideal. Seems like I would have done it that way too if it were possible. Who knows, maybe I did more work than was necessary. It sure wouldn't be the first time.

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Nothing runs like a Deere:D
9 yrs, 200+ hrs and virtually trouble free.

Rickairmedic

Commander

When I do the belts on my MTD which is close to 20 years old :D. I just bend over the tabs next to the pulley enough to get the belt off and then bend them back after the new belt is back on quick painless and no extra parts to replace :D.

Rick

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Just replaced both belts on my new Poulan Pro.....Same as the Sears.10 minutes to replace both.
Push in the clutch-brake to loosen the drive belt and it came right off the trans pulley..
Wonder why Troy Built made it so hard...:confused:

BobABooey

Recruit

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it.
This is one of the most informative sites around - I've searched!