Troubleshooting problem on 79 Evinrude 100hp 100999S

Brandon12345

Cadet
Re: Troubleshooting problem on 79 Evinrude 100hp 100999S

yes you will have to remove silencer. Hold carb/s wide open and give a couple of good shots into them. allow them to back to idle and then try and start it. what happens? post back
I was finally able to find enough time try this. Shot fuel mix directly into the carbs but when I tried turning it over, the starter pinion gear wont even make contact with the flywheel. The pinion gear is ground down enough where it just wont make contact. Obviously I need to replace the pinion gear thing (i think its called the Bendix or Starter drive assembly, Part # 0385949). Does anyone know if I should replace any of the other starter parts while I am replacing this? I wasnt sure if there were any nuts, spacers, springs, etc that it makes sense to replace when you are replacing the bendix.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer

Does anyone know if I should replace any of the other starter parts while I am replacing this? I wasnt sure if there were any nuts, spacers, springs, etc that it makes sense to replace when you are replacing the bendix.

I would replace the whole starter because everything surrounding it is also has been subjected to 32 years of being.

Brandon12345

Cadet

IMG00103-20110708-1344.jpgSo I finally recieved the Bendix that I ordered and I went to install it, only to run into problems. I can't seem to find out how to remove the top nut without turning the entire starter shaft. I am guessing I need to hold onto something while unscrewing the top nut, but I am not sure what and I dont want to damage anything else in order to remove this. Attached is a picture of my starter for reference.

Brandon12345

Cadet

Anyone have suggestions on how to remove the old bendix gear? Am I going to need to remove the starter from the engine entirely?

Brandon12345

Cadet

I went ahead and removed the starter completely, but I cannot figure out any earthly way to remove the existing bendix. I have nothing to hold on to in order to remove the top nut without moving the entire shaft.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Rotate the bendix up against the nut and see if there is a hex section on the bottom to put a wrench on to hold it while you remove the nut. You can use a pair of channel lock plyers to hold the star portion of the bendix and remove the nut.

Brandon12345

Cadet

Rotate the bendix up against the nut and see if there is a hex section on the bottom to put a wrench on to hold it while you remove the nut. You can use a pair of channel lock plyers to hold the star portion of the bendix and remove the nut.
Thanks for the reply Daviet. I gave that a shot the first time around, but the gear would still turn. I went ahead and removed the starter housing and just held on tight to the starter as a friend turned the top nut off. Not sure why I didn't think of it earlier but I guess I was afraid to damage anything else. It was pretty easy after that.