Troubleshooting problem on 79 Evinrude 100hp 100999S

Brandon12345

Cadet
Re: Troubleshooting problem on 79 Evinrude 100hp 100999S

Someone else mentioned that my recent problems may be that I didnt install the carb floats correctly. Would this prevent the engine from even starting? The primer bulb gets tight, so i know i have fuel running to the motor and nothing is leaking from the carbs.

emoney

Commander

Is the starter engaging at all? What are you hearing when you try to start it? Have you charged your battery since you've been working on getting it started?

Brandon12345

Cadet

The starter is engaging and does move up and then down seemingly normally. I am hearing what I could best describe as a loud screeching grinding noise as the starter attempts to do its job. The battery is less then 1 month old, so I don't believe this is the problem. I have ordered new spark plug wires so I havent been able to replace those, could that also impact the starting problem?

local825

Seaman

Hey brandon I have the same engine mines is a 85 hp. I have done this engine over to the point she fires right up. first things first Get the manual for this engine, it will save you tons of money and head-aches. 1 lets try to eliminate problem of fuel this engine is a 50 to 1 ratio get a spray bottle mix in gas with the correct amount of fuel, open carb throat and spray in some fuel if engine runs on the amout of fuel you spray in than there is no fuel comming from carbs.This is not as difficult as some make it to be,but take your time and get the kit, (Also)very important the fuel pump these are known to go bad with this engine there is just a rubber diaphram in the pump for suction. If you take out the two screws and prime the bulb you should get gas flow, if not check the screen inside has one screw for the cover. I looked at your pics, you should really get the book for your throttle setting and also choke link setting the black wire i see on the picture is for your (push to choke) ground, witch goes on your air silencer cover also the secound bolt looks like it is way to far in and this would prevent your engine from idleing down in the neutral position. I will give you as much help as i can according to the specs in the manual there is very little differance in 85 hp 100hp and 140hp rudes......

local825

Seaman

Take the top nut off the starter you will need two wrenches,watch the spring inside the sleeve does not fly out, clean starter shaft and add lubricant work it up and down manually a few times and then try to start did you connect the choke?

Brandon12345

Cadet

Hey brandon I have the same engine mines is a 85 hp. I have done this engine over to the point she fires right up. first things first Get the manual for this engine, it will save you tons of money and head-aches. 1 lets try to eliminate problem of fuel this engine is a 50 to 1 ratio get a spray bottle mix in gas with the correct amount of fuel, open carb throat and spray in some fuel if engine runs on the amout of fuel you spray in than there is no fuel comming from carbs.This is not as difficult as some make it to be,but take your time and get the kit, (Also)very important the fuel pump these are known to go bad with this engine there is just a rubber diaphram in the pump for suction. If you take out the two screws and prime the bulb you should get gas flow, if not check the screen inside has one screw for the cover. I looked at your pics, you should really get the book for your throttle setting and also choke link setting the black wire i see on the picture is for your (push to choke) ground, witch goes on your air silencer cover also the secound bolt looks like it is way to far in and this would prevent your engine from idleing down in the neutral position. I will give you as much help as i can according to the specs in the manual there is very little differance in 85 hp 100hp and 140hp rudes......

Thanks for the heads up. When you say you looked at the picture, which picture are you talking about exactly and which wires and what second bolt are you referring too? I know I have posted a few, and as you can tell, I have limited knowledge. As far as the carb kits, I did buy the kits but its possible I didnt do it correctly the first time, so I plan on re-doing those a 2nd time.

local825

Seaman

also this engine is built to have a pull start like you do a lawn mower, what i did was turn the fly wheel manually until the starter makes connection and than turned the key after a couple of times the lubracation freed it up, you have to remember these engines are over 20+ YEARS OLD

local825

Seaman

Found it!!!! Crowley Marines, look at schematic of your engine. don't worry about limited knowledge (everyone had to start from some where)......

Brandon12345

Cadet

Found it!!!! Crowley Marines, look at schematic of your engine. don't worry about limited knowledge (everyone had to start from some where)......

I can find the parts diagrams but either I don't know what I am looking for or it doesnt contain the info I need in order to do the settings you referred to in your earlier post.

Brandon12345

Cadet

also this engine is built to have a pull start like you do a lawn mower, what i did was turn the fly wheel manually until the starter makes connection and than turned the key after a couple of times the lubracation freed it up, you have to remember these engines are over 20+ YEARS OLD
My starter is making connection with the flywheel when I turn the key, but the engine just isn't starting. It could very well have nothing to do with the starter at all, I am just trying to include all of the information I can. Is it possible that it won't start strictly because of a carb issue? Someone mentioned to spray fuel/oil mixture into the carbs, but I am unsure of exactly where to spray the fuel to get them directly into the carbs. Do I need to remove the silencer or any other equipment to do this?

Brandon12345

Cadet

I was able to film a video of what the problem that I am facing looks and sounds like. A friend said he had a similar situation and it was the carbs, so maybe I didnt rebuild and re-install them correctly. Here is the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GktG3IpEWCc

emoney

Commander

Brandon, it could very well be my computer's speakers, but it sounds like the starter's toast on that thing? Just from what I can hear, it sounds like the gear inside the starter is spinning like it's "spun"?? I'm sure you can hear something totally different than me, and wait for someone else to weigh in because it very well could be my speakers. You can spin the flywheel (slowly) freely, right? The prop turns as well?

Brandon12345

Cadet

Brandon, it could very well be my computer's speakers, but it sounds like the starter's toast on that thing? Just from what I can hear, it sounds like the gear inside the starter is spinning like it's "spun"?? I'm sure you can hear something totally different than me, and wait for someone else to weigh in because it very well could be my speakers. You can spin the flywheel (slowly) freely, right? The prop turns as well?

Yes, I can turn the flywheel by hand freely (slowly). Not sure if you can see it in the video, but the starter is turning the flywheel about a quarter turn and then it won't turn it anymore. I just don't know whether it is a product of the starter being bad or the fact that the starter normally only turns the flywheel a short turn before everything else kicks in and does its job to keep the flywheel moving.

As far as the sound I am hearing, it is difficult to put into words, but it is a loud screeching noise.

Brandon12345

Cadet

I forgot to add that I can't get it started, so I can't tell whether the prop will spin or not. After viewing the video again, the sound you hear on the video is true to the sound it makes if you are standing next to it in person.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just watched and heard starter. What I hear is either bendix gear or bushing bad in starter. Even with that said, starter should stay engaged even if it doesn't start. Only when you let of the key should it disengage.

Brandon12345

Cadet

The starter will stay engaged, but after it turns the flywheel its quarter turn or whatever it is doing, it stays engaged and "slips" helping add to that screeching noise you hear. in the video, I am turning the key over twice, so thats why you see the starter pop down and then re-engage.

Brandon12345

Cadet

I forgot to include that when I "rebuilt" the carbs, I also changed the spark plugs. After trying to get the engine started about 10 times, with no success, I pulled the plugs to make sure they were gapped to 0.030 correctly, and they were completely clean. Even though the engine never started, shouldn't the plugs have some gas/oil residue on them and should I take that as a sign that fuel isnt getting delivered properly or does the engine have to actually turn over and start for the gas/oil to get to where it would be on the plugs?

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

spray some fuel/mix in the carb while betterflys are wide open. move throttle to idle and try and start it. What happens? Post back.

Brandon12345

Cadet

spray some fuel/mix in the carb while betterflys are wide open. move throttle to idle and try and start it. What happens? Post back.
Sorry for being dumb on this topic, but I assume I have to remove the silencer in order to be able to directly spray fuel mix into the carbs correct?

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yes you will have to remove silencer. Hold carb/s wide open and give a couple of good shots into them. allow them to back to idle and then try and start it. what happens? post back