Transom replacement-Turned Complete Boat Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: Transom replacement-Turned Complete Boat Rebuild

Hey HVAC Cruiser,
I agree with the others. Either use fairing compound or built with glass and sand then fairing compound.
Good luck
Bob

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont care how you fix it (LOL just kidding) but im glad to see you back at it again. With the nice weather you can get a jump on it. Keep at it:D

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Thanks for the input everyone you have confirmed my thoughts. I guess I will pick up some chopped strand or something to mix with the epoxy. Today I am going to use an even longer straight edge ( that is if the rain holds out) and see if I can determine the exact shape the hull was before I started. I guess this is a case were being "overkill Bill" had its downside :(.

Its kinda good that I had to put the project on hold for a while doing so made have to evaluate the project before starting up again, I might not have seen it otherwise.

Hey Vert Thanks man, not only am I back at it I working on the 2 boats at the same time :D. The cam,lifters, gaskets etc... came in for the Sea Gem so I am working on both. My wife also gave me a little incentive, she won't get on the new boat till I get this one done lol . Today I am going to clear off the deck and build the hatches. I ordered all the primmer the woman are still arguing over what color to paint her, looks like they are almost to the point where it gets painted plain o'l white:eek: As soon as they decide I will be ordering it. I want to have this one finished by the end of the month :D

jonesg

Admiral

Fiberglass takes on a bend by applying pressure over time, then if you glass the area it locks it in.

You can take it out by applying heat and pressure, it WILL bend back unless theres a stringer right on top of it, wood don't bend for beans like glass can.

I used to help unpack glasswork from containers shipped from China, they were often bent and buckled but leaving them against a radiator all day then applying pressure as they cooled fixed them.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Fiberglass takes on a bend by applying pressure over time, then if you glass the area it locks it in.

You can take it out by applying heat and pressure, it WILL bend back unless theres a stringer right on top of it, wood don't bend for beans like glass can.

I used to help unpack glasswork from containers shipped from China, they were often bent and buckled but leaving them against a radiator all day then applying pressure as they cooled fixed them.

That's good to know, I didn't realize it reacted so similar to regular plastics.

In this instance heating won't work I am the guilty party that created the problem :redface: being paranoid seeing I had cut the outer transom skin, although I did leave at least a 3" reveal around the perimeter I wrapped the outer edge with a few layers with 1708 in addition to just reinforcing it from the inside.
I don't think I ever posted pics of my screw-up prior to joining iBoats although We have talked about it some
here is a Pic of it before I installed the Coosa board transom
IMG00063.jpg

I actually 1st put a layer 1708 on the seam then 2 of mat on the exposed transom to make it level with existing glass, then a layer of roven woven and 3 more layers of 1708 on top of that to rebuild the outer skin. Looking at the pictures now, I probably didn't have to wrap the 1708 under the hull the sides I had to wrap because there was damage where the boat hit the dock in a storm
IMG00051.jpg

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Ok, 1st things 1st I went out and bought a Pneumatic long board sander.
100_9173.jpg

Got the hook out of the hull :)

Now for the :)next MAJOR Problem, The Core is soaked!!!!

I thought I got it all 1st time around Guess not
100_9171.jpg

I initally figured I would cut the glass back and replace the wet wood. I am now almost up to 3" away from my fuel tank platform and its still wet:mad:

Here is my stupid question, I know I know no questions are stupid, well this one might be.

Does the core of the hull provide any structural value or merely as a spacer for the fiberglass ??? I hate to tear apart the fuel tank platform and cut the hull apart to replace the wood. If that is what I must do then I will.
I am not trying to kid myself that the junk balsa wood or whatever it is will ever dry, but is it possible to replace what I tore out and encase the rest in the tomb that knows no sound????

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

OK NOW I HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM :mad:
I did such a good job installing the fuel tank platform that it will not come abart without destroying something!!! Ya have to love epoxy:mad: Now what????

sprintst

Commander

You'd think that was just in there as a spacer to separate the layers.

Time to kick back with a beer or so and wait for some insightful posts. :)

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

You'd think that was just in there as a spacer to separate the layers.

Time to kick back with a beer or so and wait for some insightful posts. :)

Hey Sprintst,
That's what I was thinking too, but I bit the bullet and tore it all out anyway. It looked like it was stitch and glue construction and the wood was just t o give it shape. After all the work I have done on her I couldn't just leave it there wet. I wound up replacing a 34"x14" section.

Tore out the fuel tank and platform, and now spent 2 days grinding out work I had already done :(
I wasn't happy with the inside of the keel to begin with, looks like there were previous repairs and there was resin globed in areas that would hinder water flow. With the core adjacent to it removed I was able to grind her nice and flat. Today I am going tab it all in and put at least 1 layer of 1708 and 1 of csm on her.
I also did the fillet for the inside of the transom, so I am going to get it all tabbed in with some 1708 then a layer of csm then roven woven and some csm on top for smoothness.

With the grinding now out of the way I'm hoping to get most all of the fiberglass work on the hull done today. Trying out a new (for me anyway) epoxy, low viscosity 600cps so I'm hoping it wets out fast and I can get it done :) I want to try to have the splash well back on before the week is out :D

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Here is the area that I had to replace the core in this weekend. Here is a pic after gluing it in with peanut butter epoxy notice there was also a few small spots on the starboard side that a replaced because of dry rot.

100_9216.jpg

Well it was a pretty productive day, Got the transom tabbed in with 1708 then a layer of roven woven about 1' up the sides and bottom of the boat
here is the center transom section being prefitted
100_9227.jpg

Here is the starboard side after 1708 biax and roven woven, hey Vegas you got me nervous after our conversation notice I went all the way up the sides about 1 1/2' LOL ;)
100_9229.jpg

100_9232.jpg

Well that about sums up the day, now that the 1708 and roven is down, tomorrow I plan on giving he a nice lay-up of CSM for a finishing surface

I am hoping to get the splashwell back on and glassed in before the week is done :D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey HVAC Cruiser,
That should hold up for a long time.
Bob

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

HVAC, looking good, that glass job looks as though it should be good and strong:cool::)

sprintst

Commander

Once you get going you move fast. The beer helps forget about work as well :)

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Bob - I'm hoping it lasts a while, it feels 10 times stronger than when I inherited her. I also went up higher up the transom with the bracing to give it a little extra strength :D

Hey tinkeringwackyone- It starting to feel real strong that roven woven is real strong stuff but it sure sucks up the resin. Between all the Cabosil thickened epoxy I used for gluing down the ply,filleting etc.. and the layups today I have gone though 1 1/2 gal :eek:

Hey sprintst- Yep the beer sure helps :D I'm not moving as fast as I would like. the rotted core set me back almost 2 days. From Saturday morning to tonight when I finished work Ive put in 30 hrs and 3 12 packs of bud :eek:;)

sprintst

Commander

Whatever you're doing with the beer is working. Maybe that's my problem... I'm not drinking enough.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Whatever you're doing with the beer is working. Maybe that's my problem... I'm not drinking enough.

Lol, could be, your doing a great job on yours. After looking you gave me the confidence to break out the sewing machine and start my upholstery. Just be careful with your belt sander lol don't want your new sign-in name to be gimpy, sorry that was bad lol

Its funny every time my wife is out and calls as soon as I say "Can you do me a favor" she knows I need more beer lol

Ok, Quick update - Couldn't work on her yesterday it was miserable out :(
Nice day today so I finished glassing in the transom and reglassed the drain pipe in the hull :) and another layer of CSM in the entire bilge.

This boat is built like a Tank!!!!! Hey Thrill The boat will be all set for when Zombies attack lol
PS The white spots you see on the transom etc are not air bubbles I used a mixture of cabosil to fill in any voids from grinding

100_9234.jpg

Stringers with another layer of Glassing to Transom
100_9236.jpg

Drain pipe back in and fiber-glassed

My problem now is I am out of resin, I have maybe 8 pumps left :eek: The wife don't want me to spend any more right now, funds are low. These days I buy it from California, even if I ordered it now I would not get it till at least Monday BooHoo (out of allowable images, used up my 6 per post)
On a good note, someone is coming over tonight to look at my motorcycle I'm selling, if it goes thats 5k in play money Yippee (smiley face) LOL

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Looks great Bill!...sounds like I'm not the only one doing this kinda work on a week by week financial basis....but we're smart enough not to argue on the little things...now when it comes time to re-power, all's fair in luv & war :p

Actually this works rather well, as our bank account hasn't dwindled since the start{not saying it will stay that way... but....:D}

sprintst

Commander

I sold my 99 Triumph Sprint ST a month or so agao as well. The extra cash will be used for the enngine and leg work.

I'm trying to ration out my spending now as well on the old money pit. I've got enough epoxy to finish my seat bases and that's about it. I'll need another gallon as well for the floor.

Keep up the good work as she's built to military spec :)

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Kenny-We don't argue over it, I ask, she says no Lol, just kidding. Actually work had been slow, my biggest customer lost their equity partner. Just started to pick up this week with a few old customers and some new ones calling :). The Sea Gem is costing some just got in a load of parts for her, the block and heads are ready I have to go get them this coming weekend. Now that boat I can have on the water in 2 weeks or less if I actually worked on it.
I have to get this boat done 1st as a sign of good faith or wifey will ring my neck :rolleyes:

Hey sprintst- Well the bike sold tonight, :( kinda sad to see it go, but have to think of what the family will enjoy and my Suzuki Boulevard wasn't it.
At least with the boats everyone can have fun :)
Here is a pick of my sacrifice for the greater good
0629081314.jpg

Man I feel like crying only 2800 mi on her

Status
Not open for further replies.