Trailer Width - Texas Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhammer

Ensign
I had a buddy call me and tell me he got a ticket the other day becuase his trailer was over the max width. He says that he was nice to the officer but started to ***** when the officer wanted to do a safety inspection. But, he complied and had no safety violations.

We both have similar trailers and they measure 102" at the widest part. I don't know about local municipality laws so I went looking for Texas law as he was pulled over by a State Trooper on a highway. If I read this the correct way, section allows it, but b would apply to us that tow their trailers and limits it to 8'!

? 621.201 : Texas Statutes - Section 621.201: MAXIMUM WIDTH

(a) The total width of a vehicle operated on a public highway other than a vehicle to which Subsection (b) applies, including a load on the vehicle but excluding any safety device determined by the United States Department of Transportation or the Texas Department of Public Safety to be necessary for the safe and efficient operation of motor vehicles of that type, may not be greater than 102 inches.

(b) The total width of a passenger vehicle and its load may not be greater than eight feet. This subsection does not apply to a motor bus or trolley bus operated exclusively in the territory of a municipality, in suburbs contiguous to the municipality, or in the county in which the municipality is located.

(c) A passenger vehicle may not carry a load extending more than three inches beyond the left side line of its fenders or more than six inches beyond the right side line of its fenders.

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trailer Width - Texas Law

Man! That really sounds like it all comes down to what

The total width of a passenger vehicle and its load

means. To me, "and it's load" means anything that would be in the vehicle or on the vehicle itself, the trailer would not be part of the load of the passenger vehicle. It is intended for idiots who, for example, want run a 12' 2x4 or something through the windows sticking out on either side.

I would think that your bud would have a good case in court, but would most likely still lose because the state would still want the money.

Just my $.016875

Wayne

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Kinda confusing the way that law is written.
So it is ok for a commercial vehicle to be 102 wide but not a passenger vehicle or trailer?:confused:

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

After looking at every reference from Boatus, Iboats and other sources on the internet, I found they all are stating that the legal width for a boat/trailer is 102".

I found this guy;

Boating Law Administrator
Jeff Parrish
Phone: 512.389.4628
Email: jeff.parrish@tpwd.state.tx.us

Contact him, if anyone knows he should. Then get back to us so Iboats can change their reference information if needed.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

This link is to the Texas Department of Transportation:
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/business/motor_carrier/overweight_permit/weight_limits.htm

Not some third party website.

102" is maximum width.

There is no indication that the tow vehicle has to be a non-passenger vehicle, ect.

Could it be the violation was for being on a road that has width restrictions or within the limits of a city that has a width rule of 8 feet?

bhammer

Ensign

OK, according to my bud, his attorney said that the max width in Texas is 102" for anything being towed. Many officers and a couple judges interpret "load" to be a trailer as well, not just something on the passenger vehicle. He's going to forward me some "clarification" info from the sate once he gets it from his attorney.

Diogenesusa

Recruit

I realize that this is nit-picky, but my math tells me that 102" divided by 12" is 8.5'. I know some companies construct their boat trailers to this size 8'6" just for this purpose. This forum is great for the boater community.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Federal highways are 102" limits (8' 6"), BUT, and that's a huge BUT, lots of states have a 96" (8' 0") limitation on secondary roads, requiring a permit for anything over 96". Some have increased to 102" to elimate hassles, but others have not. One needs to be aware of the towing regulations of every state they pass through.

If you are towing 102" on the fed highway and pull off to get gas in a local town in a 96" state, you would need an oversize permit to tow on the secondary roads to the gas station and back to the highway.

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Federal highways are 102" limits (8' 6"), BUT, and that's a huge BUT, lots of states have a 96" (8' 0") limitation on secondary roads, requiring a permit for anything over 96". Some have increased to 102" to elimate hassles, but others have not. One needs to be aware of the towing regulations of every state they pass through.

If you are towing 102" on the fed highway and pull off to get gas in a local town in a 96" state, you would need an oversize permit to tow on the secondary roads to the gas station and back to the highway.

As a truck driver for many years I might add this for a little clarification to your statement. With commercial vehicles, and I assume its about the same thing for private individuals. 102 inch width are legal on interstates with some restricitons on secondary two lane roads. The federal statues provide a limited travel to and from delivery points, places for rest, food , fuel etc. over that the 96 inch law prevails. Some states allow 10 miles, some allow only 1 mile or less. I have been retired now from trucking too long to remember what Texas is , most maps include a weight , length/width table and the distance that can be traveled.

Status
Not open for further replies.