trailer tire replacement

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: trailer tire replacement

http://www.safetyresearch.net/Library/Alliance_052505.pdf

Basically all vehicle manufacturers say to replace tires at 6 years of age regardless of mileage.

According to the British Tire Manufacturing Assosciation they say to follow the vehicle manufacturer's suggestion:
http://www.btmauk.com/data/files/Tyre service life recommendations 30 May 2012.pdf

Apparently there is no website for the BRMA, Not sure where Tirerack got their quote.

The point is, there's no point in getting anal about a tire that's been in storage a few months. It's common, due to the way the manufacturing, shipping, wholesale distribution, and the tire market in general is, for tires to be several months old.

Their care and maintenance after they're installed is far more important. I've seen people agonize over what weight oil, what brand, etc., and then go 15,000 miles on the next change. How much sense does that make? The same guy that frets over some arbitrary date or storage period standard that he read on the internet (I see the irony here, so no need to point it out) will go two years without checking his tire pressure, then wonder why the tire blew out, and blame the tire.

I see it every day. Every day. Point out the fact that the other tires on the vehicle are only at 50% inflation, and they'll say "I aired that one up". Yeah, he aired that one up.

The plain fact is most tire failures are due to two things-stupidity and laziness.

John

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The point is, there's no point in getting anal about a tire that's been in storage a few months.
I agree...its when the tires are 2 or 3 years old which is what I have found a few times. If its 4 months or less, I am fine with it.

The plain fact is most tire failures are due to two things-stupidity and laziness.
My last tires failed at 5 years. Always kept inflated, out of the sun. They just failed because of age.

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree...its when the tires are 2 or 3 years old which is what I have found a few times. If its 4 months or less, I am fine with it.

My last tires failed at 5 years. Always kept inflated, out of the sun. They just failed because of age.

You'll be lucky to find them that "fresh" most of the time. Some new cars come with tires several months old. Did your last tires actually fail, or just fail to pass your standards?

Please note I said "most tire failures...". Some actually pick up a nail or other foreign object, or otherwise develop a leak, en route. This is almost unavoidable sometimes. But the truth is, they didn't "just blow out", they were run under-inflated. I've had customer's tires that had a hat full of ground up rubber in them, and the customer swear that they weren't run flat, they "just blew out". You can translate "just blew out" to "I want a free tire".

I had one customer years ago who brought in a tire that was chewed all to pieces. Literally, it was about come apart. He swore it "just blew out". I looked in what was left of it, and there in the tread was a piece of 1/2" channel iron. I showed it to him and he said "yeah, I saw that in the road after it blew out before I stopped". So you see what I deal with.

Bruce, I deal with this every day it seems, so I'm probably a little jaded on this issue. But a little maintenance and attention to your tires will go a long way. Most tires just don't get that.

Cheers,

John

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

In my case I have never wore out a trailer tire, age all ways gets them so having the freshest tire means its longer between replacements and less money out of my pocket, its that simple. I expect to get 4 to 5 years out of a set.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You'll be lucky to find them that "fresh" most of the time. Some new cars come with tires several months old. Did your last tires actually fail, or just fail to pass your standards?
All have been less than 4 months but I live in LA so stock goes fast.

Last set all started to get huge bubbles in the tread area extending into the sidewall. One did this half way back home on a 500 mile drive so I had it replaced. By the time I got home, 2 others were exhibiting the exact same issue. Not even close to being near the tires max capacity. Have a lot of margin.

Between myself and my family, have been towing for over 35 years including over 1000 mile jaunts from LA to Vancouver BC and back. I have a house in Lake Tahoe and just that trip alone is over 500 miles each way. Have put on a lot of miles on a lot of tires.

sam60

Captain

I replaced my travel trailer tires (New Carlisles) about 5-6 years ago and they have 10 miles on them (tire store to back yard). Even though they have been covered all of that time, I can't trust them to hit the highway.

I bought U Haul tires for the boat trailer about 1-1/2 years ago. We are towing TT to midwest this summer and fortunately, same height and bolt pattern so, boat tires will be on TT. The boat trailer tires are mean and meaty!!

http://forums.iboats.com/trailers-towing/hmg-2020-trailer-tires-520821.html

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

All have been less than 4 months but I live in LA so stock goes fast...

Even with stock going fast, some tires are older than that before they make it to the wholesale distributor. I might raise an eyebrow at anything over a year, but less than that is unnecessary worry.

Have a good day,

John

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

wow , some of you guys border on something...... I have had a blowout on my flatbed trailer, but never on one of my boat trailers... my tires wear badly for one reason or another.......but they still last 2-4 years....that's fine.... you can buy the tire and rim for about $100- $130........so whats the big deal.. I actually bought galvanized rims and 205/75-15's for $99 before shipping.......cant beat that....isn't worth the hassle taking the rig to the tire store to get them changed off the rim...bob

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

wow , some of you guys border on something...... I have had a blowout on my flatbed trailer, but never on one of my boat trailers... my tires wear badly for one reason or another.......but they still last 2-4 years....that's fine.... you can buy the tire and rim for about $100- $130........so whats the big deal.. I actually bought galvanized rims and 205/75-15's for $99 before shipping.......cant beat that....isn't worth the hassle taking the rig to the tire store to get them changed off the rim...bob

Alignment is another reason for tires not lasting as long as they should. But you're right-with a boat costing from $XXX on up, replacing tires shouldn't be a big deal. Are you willing to risk a boat worth several thousand dollars to save a few bucks by getting one more year out of a $100 +- tire?

John

robert graham

Admiral

Well, just as an update, I had some new Carlisle tires put on yesterday...just like the old ones...We're heading to Florida on Sunday afternoon and I'll feel better about my tires now. Mounting, balancing, taxes, was $220, so guess we're good to go for a while. I did check the date of manufacture on my new tires and they show 5212...made in December...

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Thats about as good as it gets, have a great trip.