trailer tire replacement

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Re: trailer tire replacement

I figured this would be a touchy subject and probably was covered beyond belief just like Epoxy and Polyester and Mercury and Johnsons. Sorry for opening up the scabs...:facepalm: :embarassed: I just didn't seriously know...:eek:

As long as you don't start any threads about gas stabilizers or 'can I use X motor oil instead of what my engine manufacturer recommends,' you are forgiven!

:)

Jim

robert graham

Admiral

O.K., I'm looking for the "Date of Manufacture" stamp on sidewall and the only thing that looks like it Might be it is 4 numbers in a row...in my case they are 3409...Guess that means March 4th, 2009?....I had the tires installed in April of 2010 so I guess they laid in a warehouse somewhere for 11 months?....This sound about right on the date numbers?...:confused:

gm280

Supreme Mariner

O.K., I'm looking for the "Date of Manufacture" stamp on sidewall and the only thing that looks like it Might be it is 4 numbers in a row...in my case they are 3409...Guess that means March 4th, 2009?....I had the tires installed in April of 2010 so I guess they laid in a warehouse somewhere for 11 months?....This sound about right on the date numbers?...:confused:

Well you're close, but an actual tire age calculator and using your date code of 3409, it states that your tires were made/built around August of 2009. How they arrived at that is anybody's guess. Here is the one I used;

Tire Age Calculator - When were my tires Manufactured?

gm280

Supreme Mariner

ah heck, get the most use you can out of them before you get rid of those tires!!!! if they dont look like this:
2m26kg2.jpg

THEN YOU DIDNT RUN THEM LONG ENOUGH!

but i advise to turn your radio down so you can tell the difference between a salsa beat on the stereo and a flat tire on the trailer

bob

Is that a picture of those new tires that NASA is working on for their next rover that you can't blow out. They are all the latest craze...:cool:

robert graham

Admiral

Well you're close, but an actual tire age calculator and using your date code of 3409, it states that your tires were made/built around August of 2009. How they arrived at that is anybody's guess. Here is the one I used;

Tire Age Calculator - When were my tires Manufactured?
Yep, that's it!...So my tires sat in the warehouse for 8 months and on my rims for 3 years...so it's about time for new tires before we head South to Florida!...Thanks for your good information!....Wonder how the DOT gets August out of "34"?...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yep, that's it!...So my tires sat in the warehouse for 8 months and on my rims for 3 years...so it's about time for new tires before we head South to Florida!...Thanks for your good information!....Wonder how the DOT gets August out of "34"?...
34th week. It's week followed by year.

5109 = Week 51 of 2009

I always look at the tires before they mount them to make sure they haven't been sitting around. When I had a tire fail a couple years ago, the tire, a place wanted to sell me, was over 2 years old.

robert graham

Admiral

34th week!....now that's simple enough...guess that's why I couldn't figure it out!...Thanks, Bruce.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yea right now you would be looking for something in the 1213 date codes or at least a 0113

UncleWillie

Captain

Yea right now you would be looking for something in the 1213 date codes or at least a 0113

I just bought a new spare tire last week form a MAJOR on-line retailer.
I would assume they sell hundreds of tires a day so there tire turnover would be high.

The date on it is 4512. (Nov 5, 2012 - 4 months)
That is about as fresh as a tire you will likely see.
It takes a few months for them to make it through the distribution chain and cycle through the warehouse.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I shopped for trailer tires online, i asked one guy and he said the date codes will be no more than 3 years old.... i passed on that set. I found another seller and I asked the guy what the dates were. He said, I guarantee 6 weeks or less. When they arrived, they were only 4 weeks old! Works for me...

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I shopped for trailer tires online, i asked one guy and he said the date codes will be no more than 3 years old.... i passed on that set. I found another seller and I asked the guy what the dates were. He said, I guarantee 6 weeks or less. When they arrived, they were only 4 weeks old! Works for me...

You think they throw them out when the date...? These are not "best if used by" or "use by" dates. You got lucky, but your dealer got even luckier. I'll bet he was holding his breath on that one-he should have been.

John

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You got lucky, but your dealer got even luckier.
Why did his dealer get lucky? Your statement doesn't make sense. His dealer sold very recently manufactured tires.

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I fully understand about not wanting to run on old tires and all that on the freeway but tires made in recent years don't last even sitting in the garage. I've had three or four pair now go bad just sitting under project boats. I don't trailer more than 125 miles per year, and all my trailering is at slow speeds, so I'm not too concerned with high speed blow outs but I've had newer tires blow apart just sitting in the garage. I've got a pair of Load Star tires now that are so cracked they won't hold air, I'd bet money on it if I took them all the way up to their rated 50psi they'd blow up in my face. Brand don't seem to matter much, they just don't seem to last long. Yet I've got older tires, over 15 years old that are fine, they sit outdoors most of the time and get abused weekly under a utility trailer, yet those tires still look new with no cracks.
My garage isn't heated, and I park the trailer up two wood planks with attached wheel stops, so its not a matter of ozone from a heater, UV light, or the concrete causing the issues. The tires that aren't rotted sat in the garage until I got my boat.

The rubber has changed. I've got an old snow mobile trailer from the the mid 60's with original tires on it that look fine and hold air fine yet the tires that came on my new trailer last spring are already showing dryrot cracks and their not two years old yet. (Date codes 1112).
There's even issues these days with tubes, years ago we used to have old trucks sitting in the barn that never seemed to have flat tires, no matter how long they sat, these days brand new tires loose air, even those you put tubes in. I have one trailer that only used once a year, I put new tires on it last year, I bought new tires and rims from a local dealer, $275 for the pair, made in USA Carlisle tires and they won't hold air over the course of the year. Yet if I sink them into a tire tank with 80psi in them they won't show any leaks.
A call to the tire dealer got the comment that tires naturally lose air, its normal.
Then why don't I ever have to add air to the 1966 Chevy farm truck with 40 year old tires on it?
Those old BF Goodrich Silvertown tires hold air forever, yet those I buy today lose air in a few months?

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why did his dealer get lucky? Your statement doesn't make sense. His dealer sold very recently manufactured tires.

The dealer told him "He said, I guarantee 6 weeks or less...". Tires can be in transit longer than that. The dealer got lucky because he stumbled across some that new. Go to a tire dealer and tell him you want tires that are less than 6 weeks old. He'll probably be very polite, but be easing you toward the door all the time, praying to himself that you somehow go out it.

I very seldom see a tire that's less than 10-12 weeks old. And we're talking about tires that are not inflated, in warehouses out of the sun, weather, with no load on them. Huge difference between that and sitting outside loaded.

Lot of this nonsense comes from reporters, if you can call them that, that have a deadlines to meet, etc., and have no idea what they're writing or talking about. A few years ago, every old lady that came in my shop wanted to know how old my tires were. And then I found out that Dr. Oz or Dr. Phil or Oprah or some other daytime TV idiot had done a program on this. Time in service, how the tires are maintained, what damage they've suffered, is far more important that some date stamped on the sidewall.

5-6 years is about right for replacing tires on age alone. But that should be "in service" years. Of course, one should evaluate the condition of each tire individually and replace them accordingly.

BUT, there should be some limit, perhaps some expiration date, at some point.

John

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

"The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

Properly stored tires that are protected from the elements and not mounted on a wheel age very slowly before they are mounted and put into service.

Tire Tech Information - Tire Aging ? Part #1

"...over six years old..." And this guy is worried about a couple of weeks??? And the salesman will, well, tell him what he wants to hear. So the salesman got lucky finding some four weeks old. IF the buyer knew how to read the codes and didn't just take the salesman's work on it.

John

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

Another vote here for the Kumho load range D 14" tires.. There is just no comparison between these and the cheap load range C tires they replaced. The manager of the tire place that mounted them for me even commented on their quality construction, and they don't even carry Kumhos. I got them from tirerack.com

buckhorn7

Cadet

I just bought a cherry 2001 Bayliner 2452 and the tires on the 1999 Sport Boats trailer are 5 lug 215/75/14 C. The tire need to be replaced. I am sure the original dealer put the minium trailer under this boat and the 4 tires are loaded to thier max. I don't have alot of room inside the fenders. I have been reseaching going to 205/75/15 D rated at over 2,000# but if Kumbo makes a 215/75/14 D, that may be a better way to go. What do you guys think? Thanks