Trailer Lighting question.

michaelj1978

Seaman
I installed new wiring and the new LED rear lights on my trailer last night. Got everything working except for one little problem.

The trailer brake lights work.
The trailer turn signals work.
The trailer hazards work.
The one thing that DOES NOT WORK are the running lights, ie the lights that are dimmer than the brakes/turn signals but are on all the time when the lights to the car are on.

I followed the wiring instructions to the book so don't know what could be causing this problem. Unless someone can enlighten me, I'll probably buy a set of standard trailer lights and see if it's the light itself. That's my only guess.

TO ADD: I searched some more trailer posts. The wiring harness is new. The rear LED "submersable" lights are less than a year old and did previously work when connected to the truck (2003 Chevy Trailblazer). The wiring harness was chewed up and some lights did not work at times so we decided to replace the whole wiring harness, ie fish it through the trailer and back.

The connections were done via the twist caps, and then wrapped with electrical tape where the new wires met the wires on the LED lights.

The (Trailer) ground was done on the same bolt as we have always grounded it. We loosen one of the 4 bolts that attaches the hand crank wheel to the trailer, wrap it good, then tighten the bolt back up.

The connection from the trailer is a 3 female and 1 male connection. It connects to an adapter with LED test lights built in. Then the adapter connects to the rear of the Trailblazer. The adapter has female recepticles and the Truck has the male ones.

Would I need to look to see if the truck's harness is grounded? I would imagine it is if it's getting brake and turn signal lights to the rear.

I'll mess with it again tonight when I get home but really don't have any ideas of what else to check as every connection and the wires are new.

Could I have possibly wired the LED lights and the trailer wires backwards?

I'm at a loss.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Trailer Lighting question.

Using a test light or volt meter check the tow vehicles trailer connector for proper light operation.

64NHALF

Cadet

Michael,

I have read in some car magazines a few months past that sometimes to might have to redo some of the vehicle components like the flashers when using the LED lights because they use different amounts of power than the stock incandescent bulbs, this might be the same situation with using trailer lights too. Something you might want to do is find a local trailer hitch place and ask them if this might be true for your application, they might also be able to diagnosis it for you to. I hope you figure what the problem was, and when you get the solution post it here for others.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I have switched many trailers over to LED without any issues with the flasher unit or anything else.The LED's use about a tenth of the power as regular lights,so actually they put way less stress on the flasher unit.
You have a wire problem.Test the tail light wire at the vehicle connector as RP stated then work your way back.Its only a 3 wire system with ground.
Also instead of wrapping the ground wire around a bolt use the correct terminal end and use a self tapping screw into the trailer.

Look at this diagram,
http://www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm

michaelj1978

Seaman

Well I hooked it up to my other truck, a 2dr 99 Tahoe and everything worked just fine.... SO, it must be a problem with the 03 trailblazer. It's known that these SUV's have issues with the rear wiring, so maybe I'll see if it's something that the dealer needs to be responsible for.