So I want to mount a couple of downriggers on my new Bayliner BR185...

WTP07

Cadet
but I need to make them removable, and I need to the mounts to be very clean looking, just this side of invisible. The options I am looking at are the 90 degree gunwale mounts from Scotty, which I would have to paint white to match the boat. (just the mounting brackets that are permanently mounted) Option #2 is the gimbal mounts and install 2 angled rod holders in the gunwales. My concern here is the strength of the fibreglass to support a DR, rod, cannonball while in the water, and (hopefully) some fairly large fish. (25 lb king salmon are not out of the question here). Option #3 is to create some kind of board that mounts across the back of the boat, possibly tieing into the aft cleats and having some kind of outrigging legs that rest on the swim platform for support. This would also be removable. It should be noted that I am planning on adding manual DR's. I fish 90% of the time in Southern Lake Erie, so I am never down more than 80ft. For the 1 or 2 times a year I go to Lake Ontario, I will put up with the sore, tired arms.

Needless to say, this is a multi-use boat, and when it is not being used for fishing, it needs to look clean. I currently have 2 Scotty rod holders mounted on the inside of the gunwales that I use dipsy rods in. While they work great, I'd love to add a couple of DR's too.

What have you folks done with your BR's? Any and all suggestions welcomed here.

Thanks,

Randy.