Tools, Old - New and Uses

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Actually, they're called combination tools. A file can be placed in them and a screw puts a bend on the file so it can be used to join the saw first. Joining a saw makes all the teeth the same length. The next step is filing the teeth to a point followed by adjusting the raker depth with this tool as well. The final step is setting the set. I'll see if I can upload some pictures of some instructions.

Pictures coming soon.

StarTed

Here are some pictures from a book. I think the focus may not always be too great.

These pictures came from a USFS manual on crosscut saws. Its been helpful to me to sharpen my saws for the volunteer trail work I do in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.

StarTed

Now, can you identify these two hammers and their use? The top one is an Atkins and the bottom is a Simmons.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Now, can you identify these two hammers and their use? The top one is an Atkins and the bottom is a Simmons.

Now we're cookin'! My favorite tools. :D

Top one is a swaging hammer for setting the raker points.

The bottom is a saw hammer also. For setting the kerf?

StarTed

GA -- You're right. They're both names of crosscut saw manufacturers back in their heyday. I had them for years before I knew what they were. The notch in the Simmons hammer will fit a saw tooth and could be used to bend it to adjust the set. The set still needs to be checked with a spider.

These are my spiders.

What is this used for?

StarTed

The following pictures are of one of my crosscut saws that I use the most. I got it as NOS packed in cosmoline from Harwick's in Seattle when a large number were found in a logging company's warehouse. It seems they were brought in before WWII before the GI's went off to fight and chain saws made them obsolete when they returned. It looked sharp but it wasn't so I had to sharpen it. There was not a speck of rust on it when the cosmoline was removed.

dwco5051

Commander
[?QOUTE]
What is this used for?

[/QUOTE]

I still have one that I use when once or twice a year when I decide to fell a tree for exercise and not just for winter wood.

Last edited:

StarTed

It's amazing how many people are willing to pull on one of the handles. Yes, you pull, not push. That's the other person's job.

The handles on this 5' saw are not my favorite. I like the older style that extend below the saw. These came with the saw.

We had to use my longer saw (6 1/2') when we had to remove a 30" spruce from the trail. It took 3 cuts and a couple hours for the crew. I sure wanted to make it 2 but the tree ran down the trail too far.

The puck like device is actually a double sided different grit wet stone. It is used to remove burrs from the outside of the teeth.

OK, someone else's turn.

StarTed

A friend asked me to sharpen a crosscut saw for him and make a case for it to protect the teeth and himself.

Here is the saw as I received it.

NOS crosscut saw preserved in Cosmoline. Probably made in the late 1930's

After cleaning with Mineral Spirits.

It's a Henry Diston and Sons. I have one just like it that is well used now but I got it in the same condition.

Over 100 of these were found in an old warehouse in Snoqualmie several years back. They were sold off a few at a time. All are gone now.

Next I'll be making a filing bench for it. I've already joined it because the teeth were not all the same length. They weren't sharp from the factory. That was the job for the field in those days.

More as I progress.

StarTed

Been busy on the saw the last 2 days.

Yesterday morning while it was cooler I cut out and sewed a case for the saw.

In the afternoon I worked on the rakers and teeth. The rakers were all over the place, some too long and others too short. I jointed the teeth to bring them down to the shortest raker. That made some teeth flat for about 1/16". Lots of filing to bring back the points.

Peaned and filed rakers to their general shape and made initial set on the teeth. One tooth was set the wrong direction. What a mess for a new saw.

Two days of sharpening then rechecked the rakers and made final adjustments to them.

Rechecked the initial jointing and pointed up the teeth. Then a final check with a spider to make sure the set was 0.010". It's a cresent ground blade so the set doesn't need to be as much.

Cleaned up the blade and took some pictures.

Saw all sharp and ready to use.

Put the handles on the saw.

Now it's in the case.

Next will be delivery to my friend. He helps me with my trail work so I'm sure I'll see it again on the trail.