Tools, Old - New and Uses

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
GM & GA

You're both right. The end you don't see has a suction cup that I use. The other accessories for the end are flats with 2 pins on them. I have no idea how or where one would use them.

I find that the best way to use this tool to lap valves is to put the grinding compound between the valve and seat and crank the handle lifting it often to get more grinding compound to flow in between. The tool rotates back and forth while also advancing more in one direction than the other. You have to pull out the valve to check that the grinding goes all the way around both the valve and seat. This process is done after the valve and seat are refaced first. Valve seat refacers do wear and can grind the seats oval if not careful. Short bursts on the seat refacing machine helps a lot to keep a vibration from getting started.

If you like old woodworking tools look up "Galoots" on the internet.

Here is another.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
That is a Ridge reamer. I knew right away, but it also says on the casting.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That is a Ridge reamer. I knew right away, but it also says on the casting.
Hush, Grub! Don't give away our secrets. LOL

My guess is a Lisle Cylinder Ridge Reamer like it says on the casting.. :)

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Ok--Ok---I have a tool at work I'm going to post. Just need to take a pic....

bassman284

Commander
Also used for fencing repair and installation. Handy for splicing two ends of welded wire fencing or making cages out of fencing.
Yeah, while I have used hog ring pliers for their original purpose, I've used them way more often for various fastening purposes.

StarTed

I noticed that it said the name on the casting after I posted it. Oh well, it really works much better that this other one. The fine threads move the cutter up as the cutter is turned. No undercutting as can happen with this one.

This one has been posted before in another topic.

The one below should be a little harder. It appears to have been patented in the late 19th century.

I prefer using one similar but the casting gives too much away.

dwco5051

Commander
I noticed that it said the name on the casting after I posted it. Oh well, it really works much better that this other one. The fine threads move the cutter up as the cutter is turned. No undercutting as can happen with this one.

This one has been posted before in another topic.

The one below should be a little harder. It appears to have been patented in the late 19th century.

I prefer using one similar but the casting gives too much away.

After serving in the Civil War my second wife’s great-grandfather worked as both a sawyer in the winter all over Northern Pa. until spring when they floated the logs down to the mills. In the summer he worked as a carpenter building houses and barns. I inherited a lot of his toolboxes and I know what it is. I will let someone else guess which season and what it is with this clue.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No Title

How about these?? They all do the same thing on something you use quite often.

Attachments

• photo235155.jpg
    photo235155.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

StarTed

Yes, those are saw set pliers. The one I posted is designed for a saw with large teeth such as an old crosscut saw. The last tool picture I posted is also used for a crosscut saw. Out west they used lance tooth or perforated lance tooth saws. The large trees were cut down after the ones in the east.

Here is another saw set made for the crosscut saws used for logging.

And, here is another manufacturer of a tool similar to the Atkins one.

This is the one I prefer using on my saws..

bassman284

Commander
I remembered the saw set pliers from about 63-64 years ago when my grandfather showed me how they work.

StarTed

I collect old crosscut saw tools. I'm not one that often goes out looking for them but if I see on I grab it if it's reasonably priced.

Here is my collection of saw sets.

Now for these. I haven't heard their name yet.

When identified I'll post something about their use.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Ted - Links to the 2 latest pics are broken.

I guess they are Thingamabobs.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ted - Links to the 2 latest pics are broken.

I guess they are Thingamabobs.

GA_Boater. I see you are now using a Christmas Tree as your avatar. Once Christmas is over, you know you can use a few concrete blocks to submerge it in a lake for fish attractors don't you. :pound: Works for me!

GA_Boater

GA_Boater. I see you are now using a Christmas Tree as your avatar. Once Christmas is over, you know you can use a few concrete blocks to submerge it in a lake for fish attractors don't you. :pound: Works for me!

So that's where they go after Christmas. I always dumped the tree by the boat ramp when no one was looking and wondered what happened to it. :rolleyes:

StarTed

I tried to edit my last post. What do you see now?