ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: too cold to ski?

How will you explain to your girl that it shrunk

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Kenmyfam,

hmm....Belle River, Ontario...isn't that about the southern most, sort of like the banana belt region of Canada? You're further south than Minneapolis MN, and we're in the south half of the state! :)

Skiing was great yesterday afternoon. Right around sunset, the wind dropped off and it was really smooth. Cold, but smooth.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was a tradition in my family for years to ski on New Years day. We use to ski on Lake Sinclair on New Years day in the channel that was next to the Coal power plant. The water temp was always in the High 70's to 80's due to the steam plant putting water back into the lake at very high temps over 100 degrees. we wore wet suits and would each make a couple of runs, Then back to the cabin for bowl games. I miss those days!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Kenmyfam,

hmm....Belle River, Ontario...isn't that about the southern most, sort of like the banana belt region of Canada? You're further south than Minneapolis MN, and we're in the south half of the state! :)

Skiing was great yesterday afternoon. Right around sunset, the wind dropped off and it was really smooth. Cold, but smooth.

Yes it is....but our lakes are still not not "liquid" yet. Banana belt or not !!! We are on the same parallel as Rome but someone needs to explain that to the weather system !!!:D:D

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

took a swim in the chesapeake bay today, in my new 7 mm wetsuit. I kept warm and toasty, water temps were around 45 degrees.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I want to ski so bad tomorrow its killing me.

Air temp to be 79 degrees but not sure what the water temp will be.

Can this thin blood Desert Rat handle the Cold? :eek:

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Went sking last weekend. The water was a little cold but once I got use to it I was fine. It was awesome to get back water sking after 10 years.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Lucky!

I'm hoping to take my boat out for the first time ever tomorrow. Don't even have my ski or board yet. Grrr! ;)

glad to hear you made it out. My oldest son finally shamed me into taking him out and pulling him on the knee board yesterday. It was 67 air temp and the water was just reaching 60 degrees. He said he was fine while he was out for a couple of hours (with a 5 mm wet suit)

I think the season was too short for him last year. Skiing in the Mississippi before May is almost unheard of.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think it was about 87 but I dont know what the water temp was.

chirkowatson

Cadet

With the winter months approaching quickly, most of us are more worried about our heating bills than about our skin. However, cold weather can do more damage than you might think. In fact, while most people think summer is the worse season for skin damage because of the intense ultraviolet light and the increase in sun exposure the truth is that cold weather can definitely damage your skin.

RangerJim

Cadet

Thanks for the info, your just a regular "Ray of Sunshine" (no pun intended) aren't you ! jk
Got out this past weekend up in Clear Lake Ca. I didn't ski but got to ride in a couple of race boats, 79 degree air temp. water ? Good times,

Ranger Jim

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We got started April 17 this year. Some GREAT early season weather in April. Then back to crappy cold - which isn't the problem, I just hate skiing in the rain and 20 mph wind. :)

53 degree water/53 air last weekend, the lake warming up to 58 on Tuesday morning. I decided to ditch the dry-suit for my shorty wetsuit and it wasn't too bad. OK it was really BRISK at 6:00 a.m. but I don't think I did any permanent damage to my skin.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i hear ya, i think the water felt better in march than it does not.

sure the water is 20 degrees warmer now, but 65 degrees still feels cold.

in march i was expecting cold water