Finally Some Common Sense For Birth Control

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Story Highlights• Woman claims Kroger store denied her the "morning after" pill
• Kroger Co. is responding by reiterating its drug policies
• Grocery chain: Objecting pharmacists must find another way to fill prescription
Adjust font size:
ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- Kroger Co. said Friday it was reiterating its drug policies to all of its pharmacists after a Georgia woman claimed she was denied the "morning after" pill at one of the company's stores.

The Cincinnati-based grocery chain said if its pharmacists object to fulfilling a request, the store must "make accommodations to have that prescription filled for our customer."

"We believe that medication is a private patient matter," said Meghan Glynn, a Kroger spokeswoman. "Our role as a pharmacy operator is to furnish medication in accordance with the doctor's prescription or as requested by a patient."

Abortion rights activists in Georgia announced a statewide campaign Friday to raise awareness about the contraceptive.

Among them was Carrie Baker, who said a Kroger pharmacist in her hometown of Rome, Georgia, refused to supply her with the contraceptive. The 42-year-old married mother of two said she asked the store's manager in December to order the contraceptive but was told that the pharmacist refused, even though the decision contradicted company policy.

"I believe this was a responsible decision and the best way to care for my family and myself," she said. "But Kroger doesn't care."

Sold as Plan B, emergency contraception is a high dose of the drug found in many regular birth-control pills. It can lower the risk of pregnancy by up to 89 percent if taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex.

Girls 17 and younger still need a prescription to buy the drug, which the FDA made available over-the-counter to adults in August.

Supporters of the drug say widespread availability will cut down on unwanted pregnancies and abortions.

Critics argue it encourages promiscuity and unprotected sex and some consider it related to abortion, although it is different from the abortion pill RU-486.

Major pharmacy chains such as CVS Corp., Rite-Aid Corp. and Walgreen Co. also have pledged to ensure that customers can buy Plan B, even if one employee declines to provide service for reasons of conscience....

Good to see Kroger is not going to push morality on its customers....
Just dispense what they are supposed to like they should....
Bravo!........:)

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: Finally Some Common Sense For Birth Control

EDIT: Deleted socio-political troll. JB

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Plan B medication is NOT RU-486.

RU-486 will terminate a pregnancy up to about the first 63 days of pregnancy.

Plan-B will only work if the zygote had not yet attached itself to the uterine wall.

One of the many cases it could be used would be perhaps the failure of a prophylactic. Rape would be another situation.

In this case you have a married woman of 42 with two kids that perhaps cannot afford a third child.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Thank you PH for the education,

EDIT: Deleted more socio-political commentary. JB

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Important to note that the pharmacist did not refuse to fill a prescription.
It was an over the counter purchase for this woman, and the store simply did not stock the item.
This should have been handled with the store manager, not the pharmacist.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Oh, and this is not news.
Its been the "official policy" of all the major store chains since August, when it became available over the counter.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

It was news to me.....
& common sense as well.....;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hmmmm . . . with absolutely no comment on the birth control part of this, it is"common sense" that the guy with the license and the training has no say in these things? Orrrr is it that capatilism made the right call? Orrrr is it that there should be a law requiring all Pharamacists to fall in lock step?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Orrrr is it that there should be a law requiring all Pharamacists to fall in lock step?
Yup, it is a legal drug/prescription....
It should be dispensed without moral judgement.....
& savvy business judjement has its part as well......
Point "A" is irrelevant......;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have not made a decision on this particular issue, but I question the rush to legislate everyone's professional decision making. I generally don't like that.

EDIT: Deleted political troll. JB

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

So Haut shouldn't all laws be enforced the way you want this enforced?

EDIT: More inflammatory policital stuff. JB

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Nice rant, but....
To get back on topic.....
Not too long ago I heard alot of whining about a certain type of people (who happen to wear cloth on thier heads) ;) that refused to drive passengers who had alchohol in their possesion, because it was against their religious beliefs.......
HMMMM.....
I say do your job....:^
Whether it tickles your fancy or not....;)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

QC said:
I have not made a decision on this particular issue, but I question the rush to legislate everyone's professional decision making.

It's OK, QC
I'll allow you the luxury to 'Flip -Flop' a little.....d:)

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Haut said:
Nice rant, but....
To get back on topic.....
Not too long ago I heard alot of whining about a certain type of people (who happen to wear cloth on thier heads) ;) that refused to drive passengers who had alchohol in their possesion, because it was against their religious beliefs.......
HMMMM.....
I say do your job....:^
Whether it tickles your fancy or not....;)

I was on topic if you would read what was posted. Is there a law the says he has to give them that drug?

EDIT: Deleted serious personal attack. JB

QC

Supreme Mariner

See Hautdude, Eric's argument is from one legitimate perspective and mine is from another, yet both of us are reluctant to legislate. Help me understand why your command and control perspective is correct.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Do your job....
Why does that need legislation?.....;)

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Haut said:
Do your job....
Why does that need legislation?.....;)
As you are so fond of saying haut, "lame answer"

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah dude. Your answer is "do the job as I see it"
. . .

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This is not a political topic. It is not a social topic. It is not even a legal topic.

The FDA okayed this drug for OTC purchase by women over 17. That is the only legal point and it is clear.

The owner of a business may decide on whatever grounds (s)he chooses to sell or not sell it. An employee risks unemployment if (s)he refuses to follow employer policy.

Kroger's policy is to sell it.

That's the only "common sense" I see here.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

JB has it. The issues are being confused. One issue is the right of the employee to refuse that which is required by the employeer.

The other issue was introduced by Plainsman in the second post. That is the moral issue of Plan B and is not necessarily related to the first. The moral issue is good for several threads all by itself.

To me the first issue is equivalent to an Arab employee refusing to sell beer in a convenience store.