Tohatsu M30A3

bubbasblazer

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 30hp tohatusu 2-stroke. We went out duck hunting for the first time this year and I hit the key but no start the starter never engaged. I get a click on occasion when I turn the key. I work in aouto parts and have figured the solenoid may be bad, but after trying to cross the solenoid I still get no action. I have put a test light on the post where the battery cable attaches and have power but when I hit the key my light goes out. And I have no power on the side of the solenoid going to the starter. Before or after hitting the key. I'm thinking solenoid but even after crossing the solenoid I still get nothing. Any ideas would be appreciated.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu M30A3

You are not getting a good enough power delivery to the motor. Sure, there is a slight connection, but as soon as you try to apply a load (engaging the solenoid), the voltage drops way down. Could be a corroded connection between the motor and the battery, or a dead battery.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Paul is right, get a new 12 V sealed battery ASAP with at least 40 AH for that engine to start well.

Happy Boating

bubbasblazer

Seaman Apprentice

good point , have to take to work and test it. totally overlooked that part (duh). The batt is not old BUT i've seen stranger stuff come across my counter.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

good point , have to take to work and test it. totally overlooked that part (duh). The batt is not old BUT i've seen stranger stuff come across my counter.[/QUOTE

If bat & starter electrical contacts are clean and battery ain't that old, try a recharge and see what happens ?

Happy Boating

bubbasblazer

Seaman Apprentice

Yea, I took it off the charger that morning and Ihad the green light saying the batt. was charged I know the charger is good sinnce it charged my race car batt. with no problems last week. The cable from the batt. to one side of the solenoid has power until i turn the key according to the test lilght. The test light should stay lit while attempting to crank I would ??think?? Solenoid to starter side has no juice regardless. The test light going out while attempting to crank is what has me baffled

pvanv

Admiral

You are not getting a good enough power delivery to the motor. Sure, there is a slight connection, but as soon as you try to apply a load (engaging the solenoid), the voltage drops way down. Could be a corroded connection between the motor and the battery, or a dead battery.

A corroded connection, either on the hot side, or ground, would do exactly that. Of course, if the starter motor itself were dead shorted, you could have a similar problem, but then the wiring would get really hot very fast.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

A corroded connection, either on the hot side, or ground, would do exactly that. Of course, if the starter motor itself were dead shorted, you could have a similar problem, but then the wiring would get really hot very fast.

Must add that if the starter switch you turn motor on has inside electrical issues (worn contacts, whatever), won't start correctly, check continuity for good electrical operation.

Happy Boating

bubbasblazer

Seaman Apprentice

After playing with my test light and running a jumper to the batt. to ensure a good ground i found that the exciter wire for the solenoid (green) I tested it at the switch and at the connection where they all connect to the bullet connectors and I found power when I turned the key, I also found power at the hot side batt. connection directly on the starter terminal when I turn the key but still no crank, while messing around I also noticed that the "push to choke wasn't working as well when worked in the yard the day before hunting, could these two conditions be related to one problem? I dont know what to think now, if there is juice at the exciter wire and the + connection at the starter something should be happening:confused:

pvanv

Admiral

When the key is turned to "start", the green wire should have 12v on it, which triggers the solenoid, which applies 12v to the starter motor. Are you saying that you now have 12v at the starter but it does not turn? If so, that indicates either a bad ground or a bad starter motor.

When in "on" or "start", pushing the key will apply 12v to the blue wire to activate the choke solenoid. Are you saying that you are not getting 12v on the blue wire?

If you have no power on either wire, you may not have power to the RC box at all. If that's the case, check the fuse and associated wiring for it.

bubbasblazer

Seaman Apprentice

I was'nt sure what the choke wire was, I was able to determine the exciter wire by chasing it through the neutral safety sw. As far as I know there is only one fuse in the motor which is on the red 12-14 ga. wire is the ptc ran through that if so that would explain both conditions, gonna grab a fuse tomorrow. Glad to come accross a Tohatsu tech. as the only tohatsu shop around here is HORRIBLE. I had a run problem described as letting off the handle of a push mower, he kept saying bad /contaminated gas 3-4 times of him messing with at 25/50 bucks a pop and still not fixed till one day I put half turn on the carb screw did the trick and I have'nt had any run trouble since.

pvanv

Admiral

Right. Only one fuse. The high-current cable for the starter is not fused, BTW.

There is rudimentary wiring diagram for your A3 motor in the owner's manual at http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/own_man_pdfs/Toh25C2_30A3.pdf but it doesn't show everything.

Since the RC wiring is the same across the models of that vintage, I would suggest looking at the wiring diagram for the A4 model at http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/own_man_pdfs/Toh25C3_30A4_40C.pdf which is more complete, and explains graphically how the key switch operates.

bubbasblazer

Seaman Apprentice

After making a phone call to a buddy he told me to run jumper cabled from the batt. and ground to the motor and hit the starter with the pos. clamp, low and behold she turned over so then it removed the pos. clamp and left it grounded hit the key and she cranked so it seems although the cables looked ok my neg. cable is broke somewhere. I guess the batt. cables were letting juice through but lack of a good ground created this mess. THANKS FOR ALL YOU GUYS INPUT, so hopefuuly problem solved.