timing. am i doing it right 55hp

paul.tassie

Cadet
hello all. i would just like to know if im doing the timing right on my 1979 55hp evinrude. im setting it on 15 as im told to take 4 off. have been told its true setting is 19 tdc.
is it right i have my spark plugs out. throttle set on full. and set it at 15 tdc..
have been doing some re search and this wat i can make off how to do this.
am i doing it right.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: timing. am i doing it right 55hp

remove the spark plugs, using spark tester, ground the #1 spark plug wire, besure you have #1 . it is the very top cylinder, easy way to tell is look at the spark plugs, they are not horizonal across, one side is higher than the other. connect timing light to #1 wire, key in on position, throttle in gear, wide open. using a remote control switch, jump the solenoid to turn engine over, yes, you are looking for the 15* timing mark.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=228183

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The 79, 55 hp plug layout is vertical. When removing the spark plug's, all plug wire's must be grounded. When using a remote starter lead, be careful not to hook to the solenoid ground lead. If the engine uses a neautral stop switch. This will burn it out , as it would be a direct short.

paul.tassie

Cadet

hi all. i think i almost understand it now.
plugs out, leads earth'd out
throttle on full
key on start.
am i ment to turn key to engage starter motor or am i ment to leave key on start position and jump start motor by crossing over from battery to starter solenoid.
thank you for all you help as ive never done the timing before

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you can have someone turn the key, but easier to use the remote switch at the solenoid.

i use this one. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_SWITCH-REMOTE-STARTER-Actron_9090007-P_N3412_T|GRP2083____