The well traveled 1979 Starcraft 18' V5 SS

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Thanks for all the words of praise guys I really do appreciate you all taking the time to check out my SS thread even if you don't post always I still know you're looking in. :joyous:

It sure was a labor of love and as you all know it takes serious dedication and some cash to get these old SCs back on the water again. It's especially challenging with a period correct motor. :nightmare:

I started this thread March 3rd 2016 and here it is April 14 2017 and the boat is back on the water. The Chief took me 13 months to complete as well so I'm pretty much right on track with this restoration.

It doesn't seem that long ago when I met brother Glen at the Montana - Alberta border crossing to gather up the stripped down floppy old gal.

y4mXA1iGHCYx0nqu3fZ1WOQMmHEYFvuFuHPp3vWYG1XX-YKN5tpF1zUCK1cLiVpRlE5eIw9vFO-TU6paj5eXacy7SrCNrUty3suyL1ovNv_9g9rC7V6brFojY-pgCFBYDe12Z9jZkr5RQfXyEpybjJcA3WRTfGnDwnIBLf2O6wAVwikdRyvg3Qnapq4HArAMyLe-70MdcvzL7YlAI7AHb6fKw

You know I can't believe it but we didn't get an outside pic of the SS on the water this morning but the admiral was handy with her camera as I was out running the Merc on the muffs this morning checking for fuel leaks.

y4mpPIDRUx9W5B81qACh-fG8WXajn-SfW3md5l-1Q4Nd_l_w7AZMbjNWLc5F8KFI3TJ4ZfHJ55CTszHK7kEIQcFWyeQBqNUtWO-GGL_zEO2J2ruwUbIGXqNumVLsyCTLj1AQETuCCYiAgKp6K8suxgbZvcG3y9cx0HNjlrZ1n9D4ejBxaZQBulFKl-MsrAJZjLa9nkjx5CLPJE8botO6W2k7Q

y4mAqPV94lbOHqJoAq7gsx3ywSHQOpLk1DDNKF8GGoSRknhD9Gpw1fv2Ctupy5G7YW32Ve9rr9EAQO2cogx8CHez6rEvK_h76vxgOAhllfpgFYXVrBAz46tuOAulP5Q7Cegefn_KE8t5lTjMjlV1gVAGKEWJULriSX0JHWlJIgcZENr-rxlQGgCDwO12fcZMmFURzNCckrzhjyIuRxy43zc5w

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Congratulations Rob! :rockon:

Unbelievable job on that V5!

You not only did it justice... you created one of the most awesome V5's on the planet!! :thumb:

dozerII

Admiral
Awesome job Rob, glad to see her back in the water. I still have the photo of the Coast Guard plate on my phone.:rolleyes:

Decker83

Commander
All your hard work really paid off.. This boat is awesome.. You can tell how much you enjoyed the splash by the big grin on your face..
Great vid and great boat..
Congrats on a job well done.. :peace:

pckeen

Commander
42 MPH - not too shabby. Looks like a great ride, and your grin says it all. :whoo::whoo::whoo:

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Congratulations on the fine work and great hole in the water. You picked a nice time to hit the old Columbia River for the test ride.

Now it's coming up the time to start fishing in that great fishing reservoir.

:high5: :D

Pusher

Lieutenant
Nice job Rob! That is one clean machine 👍

Now to get a couple pics of you and the buddy 🍻😯🐟🎣 celebrating

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Man I guess I forget how many great guys there are around here until they all come at once. :lol: Thanks fellas! :yo:

Diesel... Prop pitch, it's a 17p on it but.... part of my shakedown issues is the tach is not accurate. That Merc was singing sounding to me like it was in the 5.5k range and I even trimmed it up until I had a rooster tail with a mighty howl and the tach never read over 3300 RPMs. So I need to iron that out before I can get a good idea about prop pitch.

I do know with that 17p on the hole shot it's like a rocket and while cruising at 30 if you stab it WOT it jerks you back in the seat nicely. No handling issues at all the boat turns very flat with the sharp deadrise and it's own wake is really flat but when crossing it there's hardly a bump, she splits wake waves really nice. :playful:

Other issues to look into...
Transducer is loosing bottom on a plane as you could see in the video. (I adjusted it some for the next trip)
Got to the ramp and noticed that I forgot all about adding a safety chain on the winch tower for the bow eye. :stupid: easy fix there.

Shifter is out of adjustment, goes into forward quick and easy, reverse not so much.Another easy fix.
If it ain't broke don't fix it right? The center carb main jet plug wasn't leaking and was the only one I didn't pull and seal up. Now it's weeping fuel. :doh:

Livewell isn't draining like it should, not sure I can fix that issue as the hatch is water / airtight. Resto buddy had an idea to put a one way vent in the hatch.

Parts on order 2 day air from iboats warehouse 2 for the fuel pump rebuild kit. New pumps are NLA. Shipping cost me about twice what the kit did. :lol:

Oh and there was an outside pic taken of the SS when in the water, well sorta.

y4mADHB4I1zuJ8FUU6IGvZaUc7blYdRhf8XlEmpU7QRuwwaYbuPFn8lBn83VC_HUWhdt66ccyR2IPFb1MCL1n_V6gLY814XxAucxoHWCBEgkdpu5TACEAlzuKWPPy0IMsSzs7ay3KSoYMW2PpwsTtyy2PgkS9Yx5C5qcoYuG0wGKCP8wnAC31b78k0EBenQ2MYqG6piYtgY3wXTtPUFME8VbQ

Last edited:

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Congrats Rob. Great job. She really turned out nice. Can't wait for the first fishing trip photos.