tell tale blockage 3.3 mercury 2002

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice
Re: tell tale blockage 3.3 mercury 2002

thanks max, will do. oh and I dont suggest blowing the vinegar by mouth if you have cuts or ulsers in your mouth, as it stings enough without them :) lol

have to say a big thanks to you and oldman, you've both been great help.

till next time

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Now you can go enjoy the boating and not have to worry none. Just remmber to flush out the motor when done having fun.
BOB
Oldman570

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

well i took her out and i'm so happy now :) it runs good, it gets hot but the tell tale flows enough I to keep it from ****ting itself. i'm sure you've all had your problems on the water, but i think i've had a year of nightmares that would top most. it was good to feel that little bit more confident on the water and it's no where near as noisy as the chinese one so I don't feel embarressed anymore. and I have to say she fly's when planing. i loved how the steering lossens up when on a plane, that felt mad. heres a pic and a short vid

DSC_1443.jpg

here is the vid
3.3 Mercury putting boat on plane test - YouTube

I found that when I put it on a plane, the engine ran cooler than when going average, so faster is better with this motor seeing there is still a slight blockage. Im just so happy now I can have sone fun finally and not worry.
until my next issue. have fun all, and be safe

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

well i took her out and i'm so happy now :) it runs good, it gets hot but the tell tale flows enough I to keep it from ****ting itself. i'm sure you've all had your problems on the water, but i think i've had a year of nightmares that would top most. it was good to feel that little bit more confident on the water and it's no where near as noisy as the chinese one so I don't feel embarressed anymore. and I have to say she fly's when planing. i loved how the steering lossens up when on a plane, that felt mad. heres a pic and a short vid

View attachment 181090

here is the vid
3.3 Mercury putting boat on plane test - YouTube

I found that when I put it on a plane, the engine ran cooler than when going average, so faster is better with this motor seeing there is still a slight blockage. Im just so happy now I can have sone fun finally and not worry.
until my next issue. have fun all, and be safe

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

If you save the vinager water solution and run the motor to flush it when done using a few times, it could improve the water flow even more as some of the build up could come out even more. JMO
Oldman570

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

it actually seems to be tempramental with the flow. I took it out yesterday and it wasnt flowing very good, then when it goes for a bit it gets better. but wasnt as good as the other day. and then when i flushing it, it was flowing better (and yeah i did another blow with vinegar) so I dont know. im thinking there is something loose in there maybe. do you know if you can make the tell tale hole bigger??

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Making the the tell tail bigger is not going to help the flow of water. and is mainly there so the operator can verify that the water punp is pumping water and the cooling system is working as it should. Makeing it bigger will also lessen the flow of water to the rest of the cooling system where the flow of water is realy needed to cool the motor as it was ment to do. The stsarting and stolling of the tell tail means that there is still someting in the sysrem passages that is moving around and reducing the tell tail flow at times. Probly a peice of and impeller and it realy should be removed. JMO
Oldman570

CrossCurrent50

Seaman Apprentice

Salt can deteriorate the gasket inside the exhaust cover and base and create blockage. They swell up in passages cutting off circulation. It may be time to remove the covers and the base and clean, inspect, and add new gaskets. Be very careful and patient when removing the bolts as they break easily. Try not to over heat them. Turn a bit back and forth when losening giving the bolt time to cool. Don,t force it. If you decide to give it a go. You can try back flushing some more. But there seems to be like you said something floating and blocking the water passage somewhere.

Jon7

Seaman Apprentice

Hi everyone,

I have no water coming out of the tell tale on my 3.3 mercury 2002. the guy I bought it off said it never poored out just dripped out, but i'm not even getting that. I took the lower unit off and replaced the impeller. (i hope i did it properly) I know i didnt connect the lower unit properly coz now its stuck in gear, but thats in another thread.I took the tell tale hose off thats clear and i stuck some wire in the knob where the hose connects into the head and gave it a wriggle. but its getting late and cant test it now. if that didnt work whats the next step, taking the head off??? is it hard?im not an idiot (well sometimes) but im not a mechanic either. oh yeah, if i blow into the tell tale hose, should i be able to blow air aor should it feel blocked??

thanks

I have just collected a 3.3hp two stroke today And I have briefly started it up in a small bucket of water at my dads house, there didn't seem to be any water coming out of the tell tale either and this post seems to have a lot of relevance to my presumed problem. Unless I need it to be in deeper water I have a wheelie bin full of water at home and plan to retest, assuming that it doesn't pump anything out then where should I start? I have worked on motorbikes before replaced pistons cleaned carbs and different things the thing is with a marine outboard I have no clue, from some stuff I have read I guess I need to look into changing or at least checking the impeller? Any advice from those in the know would be very much appreciated, I have this vision of undoing the bolts at the bottom of the shaft and oil and seals coming out all over the place? If I am able to get a detailed guide no doubt it will be straight forward enough once I have done it once. Thank you all so much, I don't mean to hijack this post in any way but it is uncanny how relevant it is to me at this moment

Jon7

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry should have mentioned mine is also a 2002 mercury 3.3 hp 2stroke. Cheers Jon

CrossCurrent50

Seaman Apprentice

The impellor in the LU is the best thing to check if no water is coming out of the tell tale. Check for broken fins. If the impellor is whole a replacement might be all you need to do

Jon7

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like a plan, perhaps I will double check it tomorrow and then if not I guess I need to check impeller, any advice how to go about that would be great, like is there oil that I will need and what I should look out for or pointers how to go about it, is there an online manual somewhere you may know I'd that I could look at to make sure I don't make a mess of it, I may be too worried about it and it may just be a case of undoing the bolts etc but as I said any advice / guidance very welcome, many thanks Jon

CrossCurrent50

Seaman Apprentice

Best to start your own thread tommorrow indicating no water flow. Thanks

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

thanks oldman, i thought the same if i made the tell tale hole bigger. I need to somehow do this myself as I'm not paying $100 an hour for outboard mechanics. back to the head i guess. you know when i tried to take the head off and I got the six bolts off, i didnt disconnect the gear shift linkage... do you think thats why the head wouldn't budge??

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

i tried to take the head off once. i got the 6 bolts off but it wouldnt budge. I also just realised that i didnt disconncet the gear shift linkage first. would that be the main reason why the head wouldnt budge??? someone mentioed more bolts (or maybe the manual) but i dont know which ones they are talking about

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

hey jon7,

I didnt know anything about outboards a year ago. I guess i still know nothing, but I have been able to fiddle around with a chinese one which was simple but poorly designed but I learnt a bit. I changed the impeller on my 3.3 2 weeks ago and have never done it before.
if you have worked on motorbikes doing what you said, this will be a breeze. all you have to undo is 2 bolts and open that rubber plug on the side of the leg and loosen the nut thingy (gear shift linkage) but not completely, just so it slides up the gear shaft (do that fist before removing the bolts. but best get on youtube look there and do more reading. its very easy, the only thing I had issues with was it was stuck in gear when I reattached it. so i started a thread and got the answer/help fix that issue and the other is, it has been a really big bastard getting the drive shaft back in while trying to line up the water tube. I can only laugh and picture you going through that as I did, it was really stressfull. I'm so not in a hurry to go through that again, but I will no doubt and it will give me the ****s hard once again, but hey thats life

Jon7

Seaman Apprentice

Great thanks Nitram, lol you're chuckle about me being there trying to reassemble I can just imagine, no doubt a few choice words to the engine will help the situation :joyous: thanks for the advice, I am now starting the search for information to take it apart without completely ruining it, I also contacted the person I got it from and he said was working fine Friday, asked how long I had it running for, was a good 30 seconds or so, then let cool down tried again just in case but again nothing out, I would havevthought something would of come out other than exhaust fumes, also tried sucking the pipe to see if anything but not a drop. The impeller quest as begun :) on other news I watched your you tube vid, it looked a lot of fun! I have a 10 ft fibreglass clinker style boat and I am hoping eventually propels me like your one did!

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad to see it's better. Fresh water rinse after salt water ...always. If you run the motor in a tank, try hot water in the tank since salt will dissolve better in hot water. You can always add vinegar too. Just don't sniff in the fumes.

nitram79

Seaman Apprentice

hey jon7, just remember to not loose the impeller key,it's a little metal pin that locks the impeller in place, and the way to put it back is to slide the new impeller down drive shaft and at the bottom you'll see there is a flat bit cut out of the drive shaft. you'll also notice the groove on the inside of the impeller (thats for the pin/key) just line that up with the flat bit on the bottom of the drive shaft and slide the pin in, and thats it. I think if your impeller casing is rusted out and looking like its about to break up, i think that needs replacing to then.mine didnt look very pretty but I didnt replace it, mainly cos i didnt know about it until i changed the impeller but I think only if its in a bad state, they're on ebay for $30. oh and send me your email and I can forward the repair manual I got from one the the guys from this forum