stringer questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: stringer questions

Is this the resin you have? If so, then it is fine for All of your restoration needs. How much are you paying per gallon? uscomposites in Florida sells a good laminating resin for $25 bucks a gallon. Plywood is good as long as it's exterior grade (it uses waterproof glue). Don't use interior/cabinet grade. It looks nice but uses non waterproof glue. Check the first link in my signature below for some good info on what you will be doing.
61545_8.jpg

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i have a coatings place down here .it's called fiberglass coatings inc. thats the brand also.i use a mek catalyst. i used this with my transom.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nope you don't use a MEK catalyst you use a MEKP catalyst. Ratio is between .5 and 1.5% depending on temps and what your application is. That's a good price, and the resin is the correct type to use. FCI has been use by other members here on the forum.

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nope you don't use a MEK catalyst you use a MEKP catalyst. Ratio is between .5 and 1.5% depending on temps and what your application is. That's a good price, and the resin is the correct type to use. FCI has been use by other members here on the forum.

i am sorry , you r right , it is mekp

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class

boat restore 1 001.jpgboat restore 1 002.jpgboat restore 1 003.jpgboat restore 1 004.jpgboat restore 1 005.jpg
well i took the gas tank out and more of the floor exposing wood pulp under rotted flooring. the tanish brownish look is all styrofoam with half inch by 3 inch wide slats layed into the foam when it was poured. my guess it was something extra for the flooring to adhere to.?looks like they had three eighths plywood port stringer in the foam as the side supports

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class

boat restore 1 009.jpgboat restore 1 010.jpgboat restore 1 011.jpgboat restore 1 012.jpg
would i be saying it right that wood supports going out to the sides of the boat are called " port stringers " ????

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Supports .. bulkies are different. Ninja Google more there buddy.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

attachment.php

If you are talking about the middle section in this picture, then IMHO that's always been called a bulkhead.
th

If this is not what you're referring to then I suppose it could be a support but I'm not sure from the pics.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

My 1985 stringers are 1" with glass over the top. Builder used pine boards for them,I'm using marine grade ply to replace....

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class

attachment.php

If you are talking about the middle section in this picture, then IMHO that's always been called a bulkhead.
th

If this is not what you're referring to then I suppose it could be a support but I'm not sure from the pics.

If the stringers are made with plywood of good grade and are better then a board of good grade . but your stringers are longer then the plywood's length, then are you better off using a board thats of length or is there a good way of making your plywood in two pieces fastened or bonded together ??? Just asking . stringers are 14 to 16 ft

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class

attachment.php

th

these are some more pics. i only have half of the boat at this time with the decking off just to get an idea of what the layout is and what kind of measurements and heights i have to be at. once i get this side down all the way or most of the way then after i see things and mark thing and take more pictures then i will tear the other side down. i will keep the top of the boat on . i think i hear that people take them off.is there a reason more then just ease to work on.any input on this procedure would be appreciated.right now i was just digging through and chipping the styrofoam. about the stringers, they go the full length of the boat from front to back or at least to the engine box if that is what its called.and your picture that has your bulkheads, mine look like yours but they don't seem to go the width of the boat. mine seem to just go stringer to stringer and then on the other side of the stringer at a slightly different spot, wood bulkheads or stringer supports or whatever there called go from the stringer to the side of the boat . the size seem like 8 inches , same height as stringer at that point and going towards the side of the boat drops to 2 inches.boat restore 2 002.jpgboat restore 2 003.jpgboat restore 2 004.jpgboat restore 2 005.jpgboat restore 2 006.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Several methods for doing this, The method I prefer is to use two layers of 1/2" ply and stagger them. I use TiteBond III wood glue and screws to lam them together Doing this you can make any length you need and get 1" stringers.

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Several methods for doing this, The method I prefer is to use two layers of 1/2" ply and stagger them. I use TiteBond III wood glue and screws to lam them together Doing this you can make any length you need and get 1" stringers.

what type of plywood do you use ? i thought i heard something about certain plywood, that resin doesn't bond to that well or maybe that you didn't want to bond it when the plywood might still be damp. any insight would help me to get the right stuff or to make sure there is no moisture in the plywood.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Marine Grade is the best and most expensive. Ext. Grade ACX Plywood is what I normally use. Arauaco sold at some Lowe's and Home Depot outlets is a very good Brand. Just make sure NOT to use any plywood rated for Interior use only. The glue is not water proof.

charles1961

Petty Officer 3rd Class

these are some more pics. i only have half of the boat at this time with the decking off just to get an idea of what the layout is and what kind of measurements and heights i have to be at. once i get this side down all the way or most of the way then after i see things and mark thing and take more pictures then i will tear the other side down. i will keep the top of the boat on . i think i hear that people take them off.is there a reason more then just ease to work on.any input on this procedure would be appreciated.right now i was just digging through and chipping the styrofoam. about the stringers, they go the full length of the boat from front to back or at least to the engine box if that is what its called.and your picture that has your bulkheads, mine look like yours but they don't seem to go the width of the boat. mine seem to just go stringer to stringer and then on the other side of the stringer at a slightly different spot, wood bulkheads or stringer supports or whatever there called go from the stringer to the side of the boat . the size seem like 8 inches , same height as stringer at that point and going towards the side of the boat drops to 2 inches.View attachment 185516View attachment 185517View attachment 185518View attachment 185519View attachment 185520

i have been digging out more styrofoam and stringer and bulkhead material down to about 1 inch on the bulkhead and stringer material so i can see better the layout before i layout and sketch and measure before i clean it up the rest of the way. QUESTION i had is some bulkheads go all the way through , one side to the other , but i thought you want to make your stringers from front to back 1 continuous piece and stagger and laminate together if your length is not long enough.which is the right way ???. bulkheads continuous 1 piece or stringers from front to back 1 piece , just curious??

jbcurt00

Staff member

Based on the pix you've posted, it's extremely hard to tell stringers (running bow to transom) from bulkheads (port to starboard).....

Try to get an area cleaned out that shows 6-8 compartments (separated by the stringers &/or bulkheads) bare down to the little bit of stringer or bulkhead (1" +/- you said you're leaving) and cleaned of foam exposing a bare hull. Similar to what WOG posted earlier:
th

This ^^^ looks like continuous bulkheads & possibly continuous stringers running thru notches cut out of the bottom of the bulkheads.

IMHO, you need to figure out exactly how the boat was put together originally, and try to replicate the stringer & bulkhead layout. Each boat & boat maker designs & builds boats to meet their goals, either the stringers or bulkheads can be continuous, and meet those goals.

A marine engineer designed it's structure, and as a system w/ hull, bulkheads, stringers, deck, fiberglass work & foam all working together.

Status
Not open for further replies.