stringer/bulkhead design

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: stringer/bulkhead design

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering how you've supported the very weak hull side walls of what used to be a bench boat now that it's a CC?

You can see where the benches were in this pic:

Benchboatturnedccpaint_zps6b2ec0dd.jpg

One aft, mid ship, and a bow enclosure... those benches were structural support for the weak hull sides, and I just can't figure out how they're supported now with a cc in the boat. If your sidewalls don't have any support, this could be a good part of your performance problems and why the boat is acting "squirrely" under power. I suspect your hull will be twisting and contorting under the stresses of that 48 hp motor.

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

001.jpg005.jpg002.jpg004.jpgActually, there was never any bench seats midship or forward. There was a part of a rear bench seat, 2 flimsy dry storage compartments midship on each side, and a small deck/storage area at the bow. These sides are far from weak now, that I know for sure. Not only was the deck tabbed in with 1708 layers, but then we did a layer of csm down one side, across deck, & up other side to firm them up. We were careful to return the beam to its original measurement. The sides are very strong, holding my weight(don't ask) while on the trailer without even a budge. We anticipated the weakness & made sure we firmed it up. I remember that marathon glassing night vividly..The casting deck is bigger & higher up the sides than the last one & has helped immensely to firm things up forward. She's a sturdy vessel, can lean over the side without a problem. My "squirrelly" & "weak sides" are 2 different things. My squirrelly is from cavitation(we all know that feeling), as if the boat is hydroplaning. It's the same feeling you get in your car when going down an interstate at 60mph & hitting puddling rain. Scary! Weak sides or hull is not what anyone could accuse this vessel of. I am going to try to get you photos of Day 1(be prepared-it is horrible) & what it looks like now. Sorry, gotta wait for current photo. Don't have one & it is pouring rain.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Post some pics of how the interior looks today. As I said Either way will work.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for posting those before pics friderday, I better understand how your boat was built now.

Bench seats are always structural, and to remove them and not replace them with something isn't a good idea. You can see by the way yours was built it was meant for supporting more than just a place to sit.
benchboatturnedcc1paint_zps2ebc9a0c.jpg

I would suggest building a deck at the transom from port to starboard and from the transom forward 2 feet.

You can see in this pic that the front deck used to be longer and the storage boxes butted up against the front deck before someone chopped it up.
benchboatturnedcc3paint_zpsb22777e0.jpg

Even though those side boxes may have seemed flimsy after they were chopped off, they were stronger when your boat was built and supported the sidewalls on that boat.

The thin sidewalls and the skinny gunwales on your boat aren't designed to span more than a foot or two without internal support, and that's what the rear bench, original side boxes, and front deck were doing.

As always. this is your boat and you can build it anyway you want... I'm just trying to show you some red flags. If you start have hull/stress problems in the future you may want to consider additional reinforcement. Check your boat periodically for stress cracks and paint flaking, especially from midship to stern.

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

Ah. The rain has stopped..for now. The original front/casting deck was 34" back from the nose of bow & about 11" below level beam. Our deck is 53" back & 2" below beam. We designed this way for several reasons including usable under storage, casting/fishing visibility, & most importantly to solidify the front 1/3 of the boat to its sides. I will post new pics. In them, note the decks are not completely done, with gelcoat on only about outer 2-3" of deck. This is because son is putting blue kiwi on remaining/most of decks. Only outlined in white gelcoat. This kiwi application is on hold until we place center console, as that, too, will be outlined with gelcoat border. We are refraining from final console placement until engine placement is final(jackplate). Then we will be able to determine, per our weight placements & distributions, the console's final resting place. Wood: thanks for info/site on homemade jackplates..son is checking into it today with welding buddy.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The work looks excellent, really top notch... but the design and structural support is lacking, but I hope it works for you.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The absence of a Splash well is a bit disconcerting. Easy enough to fabricate one late if needed/desired. If your hull sides are as stiff as you describe I doubt they will be an issue.

friderday

Chief Petty Officer

They are pretty darn firm, Wood. Yeah, our style of fishing isn't conducive to rear casting deck, although we may consider later. As far as splashwell, with full transom height and son will be putting in 1100gph bilge pump in the bilge area near drain plug(that's what the hole above the gastank on the port side is for), didn't really give splashwell any serious consideration. Remember, we have fished in the ocean for over 10 years in a 14' aluminum boat(you can see it in background of post #41, Polarcraft, 15hp yamaha). My grandpa used to say, "it ain't fishin' unless your feet get wet!"After a summer of fishing, we will be doing this same rebuild on one of my boats. Got a sweet 17' Seaway that I love. Needs floor, stringers, transom. Hull is intact. I'll post some pics of it soon. Can't wait to come up with that design...will definitely need splashwell in that one. I'll start new thread & welcome your input on designing the interior with couple storage compartments, heck maybe even live well. Want to thank you again for advice on jackplate. Son went to metal shop today & bought what he needs, $75. He & buddy gonna do at his shop on Monday, so hopefully, next week we'll have great news as far as improved performance.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Splashwell not only increases safety but also increases the structural integrity of the hull sides