Strange noise coming from motor under acceleration... Mercruiser 3.0 with Alpha One

Status
Not open for further replies.

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Strange noise coming from motor under acceleration... Mercruiser 3.0 with Alpha O

To me it sounds like it is going to be a noisy rocker or the flaps. A noisy rocker is not always going or be heard. The nut could be just loose enough to make noise at very certain times and speeds they are moving. It is like that certain rattle in a car, over most bumps it is not there, but over the right bumps on the road it is loud any obvious. The valve cover is only held on with a few screws or bolts, it takes 5 minutes to pull it off. But if you don't want to pull it off yet, then as posted before, run the boat, remove the oil cap and put your ear next to the oil fill hole. You will hear it loud and clear. If you do not, then it is not the rockers.

When you say "it sounds like it is coming from here, or there" on boats that does not mean much. Since the engine is mounted under that fiberglass deck, and it is mounted on top of the bilge bay, and there is not sound dampening material like under the hood of a car, the sound is bouncing around that engine area so much it is often VERY hard to tell where it is actually coming from. The sound could be echoing out of the bilge bay and making it sound like it is coming from the rear of the engine, when in fact it could be coming from the oil pan area.

If you think it is the flywheel, then when the sound is getting louder, put your hand on the flywheel cover. A sound that loud, you would feel the vibration. If it is not there, then put your hand on the exhaust riser/elbow and feel that for vibration. Keep feeling different parts of the engine until you feel the vibration. If it is making a noise that is that loud, you are hearing the vibration of sound. That means that you can feel the vibration just as well as you can hear it. unless it is deep in the engine, where in that case I would not be running it until you find it and fix it.

2 more thoughts.

1- you said all that service was done to the boat last Feb. It is very possible that during this service either a bolt/screw was not tightened down or was not used with thread sealer and has came loose with vibration and it is rattling and the sound you are hearing could be the bolt/washer jingling against the flywheel cover or manifold or something else. Go over the engine top to bottom with a wrench and screw driver and make sure all the bolts and screws you can find are snug.

2- you indicated that you used an octane booster. This will not eliminate it being the fuel. You put 87 in your boat, and then added an octane booster. so your fuel is sitting at about 87.5 maybe 88 at best. If an octane booster says it adds 10 points, it is speak in 0.xx points. so 10 points would put your fuel from 87 to 88, not 87 to 97. Most octane boosters in a bottle do not raise the octane more than .5 points. the only way you can try and see if the fuel is not the cause is to drain the fuel, OR run the boat until you have 3/4 - 1/2 tank and then add the highest octane you can find to fill it up. sometimes you can find race fuel at 100 or 103 octane. Add that to your 3/4 - 1/2 tank and it will mix it out to be around 91-92 octane.

I know this might not sound like it is fuel related, or any of the other suggestions made thus far, but you cannot tell us that it is not the problem any more than we can tell you it is the problem until you have examined each suggestion given to ensure it is not the cause of the problem. I have seen way more times one this board than you can count where boaters were sure it was not this or that. After 3 pages of posts, it turned out to be something mentioned back on the first page that was just a blind guess. Until you rule them out 100% by investigating them you can't rule anything out, and you might be chasing a ghost wasting your boating season.

Start with the fuel, you stated before you changed from 91 to 87 and now the problem is here, I don't think that is a coincidence.

thecca

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Strange noise coming from motor under acceleration... Mercruiser 3.0 with Alpha O

I'll give it a ride tonight, remove the valve cover, check for leaks and loose nuts and see where I'm going. If I can't find it then I'll have to bring it to a mecanic. Like I said I just don't want to fcuk something else by saying ''this is not bad''.

This sound isn't really annoying and I don't mind tolerating it but I know that something isn't going right under there and I just don't want to end with a blown motor or drive in the middle of the river because I was too ignorant to diagnose a faulty part lol

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

One final thought until you have done some checking. What kind of oil is in the motor? Is it possible that someone didn't use the required 25W-40 and stuck in some light weight car oil instead?

thecca

Seaman Apprentice

It's boat oil changed by the marine shop in february. It's still clear and leveled. I doubt this could be the problem since everything was working right until last weekend...

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

No need to run it.......Stop and get you a new valve cover gasket on yer way home.
Check for loose nuts/ bolts ect......Then pop the cover and and look at the rockers........If they look ok.....Start it for a few seconds with the muffs on......oil will go every where. But you be able to see if something is wrong.

oldjeep

Admiral

No need to run it.......Stop and get you a new valve cover gasket on yer way home.
Check for loose nuts/ bolts ect......Then pop the cover and and look at the rockers........If they look ok.....Start it for a few seconds with the muffs on......oil will go every where. But you be able to see if something is wrong.

Funny thing is that a 3.0L really doesn't toss much oil at idle. On my old boat I was surprised how little splash I got when doing the rocker/valve adjustment after replacing the bad nut.

thecca

Seaman Apprentice

Boat is currently in the water, no muffs needed :) Also, I will check the exhaust shutter but I doubt this might be it, since the clicking sound when they're bad is when idling, not at WOT.

Like I said, it's pretty hard to diagnose since the issue is only present under acceleration, like if my engine didn't like the load.

I'll try this tonight and get back to you guys, I appreciate your help very much.

Ah and sorry for my english, it's not my first language, I have trouble finding my words sometimes.

Last edited:

thecca

Seaman Apprentice

Just went at the marina and checked a few things.

Opened the oil cap, sounds OK.
Checked the flywheel, the dust cover (that is in plastic) is intact and the metal cover also. Everything is tight in there

I'm starting to think it's a bearing somewhere OR my rockers... (may-be a bearing around the flywheel/in the drive, but the gimbal bearing is brand new...)

I will contact a mecanic and bring him on water to see what he has to say, I'm exhausted and don't want to waste my summer finding this issue.. I'll keep you posted guys. Thanks.

Last edited:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

sounds like a gimbal bearing to me. Parts recently touched by human hands go to the top of the list, not the bottom. Incorrect installation kills lots of bearings in all sorts of machinery.
Invest 15 minutes of your life to pull the drive off. It's simple. Shifter in FWD, pop the speedo hose up, 6 nuts and a yank - all that's standing in the way of eliminating that stuff as a possibility.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Did ya try the rubber hose or stethscope to pinpoint the noise? If it's the rockers....than looking in the oil cap aint gona do a thing...need to pull the valve cover to see.

Next pull the boat outa the water and remove the drive as Howard said.

thecca

Seaman Apprentice

Just came back from the marina and did a ride with the mecanic there (who is an expert, according to a few people I've talked with...) He said that it's probably my timing that was off and fried the motor after a while...They're gonna check with the light to see where it is currently and call me back.

Also, my engine is running at 175F on the gauge and it's supposed to be 140 (according to him). He said that I might have to change/rebuild my whole engine since it's probably ''fried''... I don't really know what to think, I'm a bit shocked here.

Last edited:

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have never seen timing off to the effect that it "fries" an engine. If the engine was fried to the point that it needs to be rebuilt, you would had/have way more problems than you are noticing besides an annoying rattle at certain RPMS.

If the gauge is reading high that is a sign the timing is off, but I am thinking that readjusting it back to factory will fix the problem. I think that the timing is off maybe 10 degrees, and when you drive it for a while the engine is getting to hot, when metal gets hot it shrinks. something is shrinking to much with the added temp and it begins to rattle. set the timing right, and it will stay at normal temp.

For your own good, anything that mechanic says, post it here so it can be double checked. Ask for pictures, tests results, and anything else he has that supports his diagnosis / needed repair. I can't count on both hands and feet how many times a buddy of mine has been ripped off with a bogus repair by a marine mechanic.

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

Are you sure this guy is a mechanic and not a Mc Donalds line worker? Fried? What they heck is that supposed to mean?

And my 3.0L runs at 175 and has since new. Never seen one that runs anywhere near 140. I mean jeeze the thermostat in the engine is a 160

Last edited:

thecca

Seaman Apprentice

He said it could kill an engine if you run it a few months bad timed. He also mentioned something about loose pistons or something like that, that would create this sound. I'm thinking it's a rocker arm problem or a timing problem, he'll time it and check the rocker arm. He said that if it was a loose rocker, it would probably always do the rattle, not only at WOT. I'll see after he does a few test, but I don't trust him 100%...

I've also noticed that it makes the sound a lot more when I push the throttle WOT and I let it back. As soon as it stops accelerating, the rattle begins. (I think it's noticeable in my video)

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

If he thinks it should be running at 140, I'd cut my loses now and find someone else to look at it. IF he is messing with the timing, hopefully he knows how to actually get it into base timing mode

Bondo

Staff member

He said it could kill an engine if you run it a few months bad timed. He also mentioned something about loose pistons or something like that, that would create this sound. I'm thinking it's a rocker arm problem or a timing problem, he'll time it and check the rocker arm. He said that if it was a loose rocker, it would probably always do the rattle, not only at WOT. I'll see after he does a few test, but I don't trust him 100%...

I've also noticed that it makes the sound a lot more when I push the throttle WOT and I let it back. As soon as it stops accelerating, the rattle begins. (I think it's noticeable in my video)

Ayuh,.... He's probably Right,.... I mentioned Detonation a page ago,...

Detonation is caused by bad timin',... a Lean condition is also another Major cause,...

When Detonation occurs, the fuel is fired, Before the pistons gets to Tdc,...
That Hammers the Whole motor, especially the bearin's, 'n wrist pins,...

'n while all that is goin' on,.... tiny little bits of the piston, 'n head are leavin' home, Out the tailpipe,...

A dirty fuel filter, causin' a lean condition can Totally Destroy a motor in Minutes, not months,...

Detonation is Evil,...

thecca

Seaman Apprentice

I would have heard it before right? Motor runs just fine, but does rattle at WOT (engaged). If it was running lean, it would cut-off or runs rough, no? It accelerates without any hesitation and runs fine , except this weird sound.

Anyways, I have to wait for his diagnostic... I hope he knows how to time a motor correctly.

Last edited:

thecca

Seaman Apprentice

Also, what's the correct timing? I think my engine is the 3.0LX (I have the audio warning system) and the year is a 2000

If I'm not wrong, it sould be 2 degree in base mode and 12 after on idle?

Edit: The timing tab isn't even on the cover... There's nothing. Damn I'm tired, who puts a cover without a timing tab?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.