Strange noise coming from motor under acceleration... Mercruiser 3.0 with Alpha One

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Strange noise coming from motor under acceleration... Mercruiser 3.0 with Alpha O

Sounds like valve train to me. Sticky lifter or loose rocker arm

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Strange noise coming from motor under acceleration... Mercruiser 3.0 with Alpha O

I don't think a detonation / pre-ignition could do that kind of noise, not that loud though... It's coming from the flywheel zone, not the head.

Ayuh,... If yer that Sure, Pull the motor, 'n See what came loose,...

All this Guessin', ain't gettin' ya nowhere,...

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would start with one of these Lisle 52500 Mechanic's Stethoscope : Amazon.com : Automotive Or a long piece of hose that can be used to listen in. But since the boat is moving around the hose may need a person holding each end in place. Probe around the engine until you find the loudest point. From your video it sounded like the rocker arms to me. But that is just a wag. Pinging would be loudest just below the head gasket in the block.

thecca

Seaman Apprentice

So a rocker arm can work normally but be bad under load? Because the issue ain't there when the motor is idling / not accelerating

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

So a rocker arm can work normally but be bad under load? Because the issue ain't there when the motor is idling / not accelerating (planing)

Lifter/rocker arm noise is more RPM based than load based.

thecca

Seaman Apprentice

Last edited:

thecca

Seaman Apprentice

That's what I thought... I dont think this is the problem either. I've noticed the fuel filter isn't full of gas even when running. Is this normal or it's supposed to always be full with no air in it?

oldjeep

Admiral

What kind of fuel filter do you have that you can see the gas in it?

thecca

Seaman Apprentice

A clear one. On the video I posted with the issue you can see it.

oldjeep

Admiral

A clear one. On the video I posted with the issue you can see it.

Wow - you added one of those plastic things before the actual pump and filter? Pretty sure those are not USCG approved. Why did that get added anyways?

Edit 0:46 in the video

Last edited:

thecca

Seaman Apprentice

I didn't add anything, I bought the boat like this about 2 months ago and a maintenance was done (about 2000$) last february by previous owner (new gimball bearing, new carburetor, new plugs, new fuel filter, new thermostat housing, new exhaust manifold).

It's not supposed to be there?...

oldjeep

Admiral

I didn't add anything, I bought the boat like this about 2 months ago and a maintenance was done (about 2000$) last february by previous owner (new gimball bearing, new carburetor, new plugs, new fuel filter, new thermostat housing, new exhaust manifold).

It's not supposed to be there?...

Nope

thecca

Seaman Apprentice

Then why it's there? Could that cause restriction and make my engine run leaner and create the noise? I ran the boat for a month or two with this setup before my issue began...

oldjeep

Admiral

Then why it's there? Could that cause restriction and make my engine run leaner and create the noise? I ran the boat for a month or two with this setup before my issue began...

Doubt it is causing any problems at the moment, but it makes me wonder if they changed the filter that is in the pump and why they thought adding that was a good idea. The danger in those things is cracking and filling the bilge with fuel.

Here is a vid on changing the fuel filter on the pump.
Replacing In-pump Fuel Filter - 96' Mercruiser 3.0lx - YouTube

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class

An easy test for rocker arm noise would be to remove the oil cap, run the engine and listen.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Shutters?

thecca

Seaman Apprentice

May-be shutters, but engine don't overheat and has no power loss... the issue is more often present when I accelerate and push the throttle back a bit (decceleration)

Last edited:

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Shutters wouldnt affect engine temp or power....but would make tink-tink-tink type metalic noise when wearing out (metal to metal rattle). Just another guess..... (from my experience, the noise is mostly at idle).

Last edited:

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

You eliminated the octane issue??? So Did ya check the flywheel?

Did ya check with a stethoscope to pinpoint the area?

Pop the valve cover off and look at the rockers.

It aint gona go away???Need to find the issue before something lets loose!

thecca

Seaman Apprentice

Shutters wouldnt affect engine temp or power....but would make tink-tink-tink type metalic noise when wearing out (metal to metal rattle). Just another guess..... (from my experience, the noise is mostly at idle).

Mercruiser 3.0L (2000) with Alpha One - Weird noise (clang / rattle) under acceleration - YouTube check at 1:35. This sounds like metal to metal to me... I fear it might get worst if I continue riding my boat like this and the noise isn't there unless I put load on the motor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.