Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations, they're all here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations, they're all here!

Freaking awesome Jason.I just found this.I will be reading for a while now. :eagerness:

jpstude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, rheagler - It's a 1978, so, does that make it a chieftan, or a Mariner?:confused: Last evening, I found out a couple more interesting items. The owner put in new seats, at the helm, and there's an extra in the cabin. Upon looking them up they are Garelick seats costing around $335 each (the spare is a less expensive model Garelick). The posts the helm seats are mounted on are also top of the line Garelick, with full adjustments, and are hydraulic, for height adjustment. Holy Smoke! The seating is worth more than I paid for the boat and trailer. Additionally he threw in a bimini top, which upon looking at it, turns out not to be that, at all. It's a really nice snap-down top. I'll post another pic, so it can be seen. It needs to be tailored a little, but it has zippers for side curtains, and for a rear floor length curtain. That means I can get that detail taken care of, add a heater, and have it weather tight, for those cooler, rainy days Washington is known for. I AM looking for the chrome/stainless channel piece, the wing window slips into, and the outside center aluminum piece that separates the two forward cuddy windshield halves, too. ... Anybody have any ideas, or work-arounds? - Thanks - J.P.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That would be a Chieftan J.P.
Here is the brochure... Page 1 (Cover) Photo by liteav8r | Photobucket
You should start a thread of your own for the boat, more folks will see it and can help with your questions and projects..
Nice score with the seats and enclosure!

jpstude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, rheagler - Now I know what she is, and I will also start a thread on my adventures, in restoration... Thanks again - J.P.

bigmcgiv

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well you can throw me on the list with my nassau.

barato2

Commander

yesssir, we loves us them "before" pix where the boat hasn't even been pulled out from under the trees yet.:D

bigmcgiv

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thats the way i found her. a diamond in the rough. she was filled with pine straw[needles] and left with her plug in water was 4 inches above the floor, needless to say she holds water but i used no tools to remove the seats or floor.im making her into a crusier/ very light fishing.

barato2

Commander

wow. so you'd completed one step of the resto before even towing her home. start a thread on the resto and post more pix.

bigmcgiv

Petty Officer 3rd Class

have it in the resto section, enjoy

Middletonsl

Recruit

Hello all- I am a newbie looking for info/restoration pictures for what I believe is a 1972 Starcraft 17' Capri Sport. It has a center console and is all fiberglass....and it needs some work! I have grown attached to the little boat and want to make sure we do things right! I will post info/pics on a new thread on resto page but wanted to know if this is a common boat?

barato2

Commander

welcome to the board. no, not very common at all AFAIK. sounds cool tho...post pix. most of us here are more knowledgeable about tinnies but happy to help with anything Starcraft.

glasser resto is not for the faint of heart. you'll avoid much grief later if you internalize and accept two ugly facts: water flows downhill, and waterlogged wood encapsulated in plastic turns to mush. apply these concepts to your boat: if the floors are toast, the stringers and transom likely need replacement too. many people kid themselves about this when doing the floors and later find they have to redo it all....or more likely, scrap the boat when the transom fails. it's do-able but a messy ugly itchy job. prolly some videos on youtube....all glasser resto is more or less the same: cut out old bad stuff, cut new wood to size and glass into place. easy, right? :eek: first step is tbe bugger, and the one many folks never get past.

i'm not trying to be discouraging here. people do this sort of job all the time and it doesn't require any major wood or fiberglass expertise. just be aware that it's the sort of job you dive into solely because you love the boat and want to keep it for a long time; all your effort will do very little for the market value. you do have a BIG badazz shop vac, right? :D

open a thread about your boat and post some pix. did anyone ever warn you about this Jas guy? :eek:

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Added to the big list:

crankbait cowboy
bigmcgive
billy vista
jpstude
bizzay
brokenjack

Rock on!:rockon:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK guys, I'll need help from all of yah to keep this thread going. On the surface it might seem like an easy thread to maintain but it actually takes a while ------- to search through for new projects, or try and find the ones I missed, then go back to the list, which is getting super huge, then try to find the correct model/year/length of the original project thread, then go back to this thread copy/paste/copy/paste in the right section, edit, format, yadayadayada....

So, if you all would help be my eyes and give me a heads up on projects that I have missed or new ones that I need to add, I'd be very appreciative:encouragement:

Just post up what project I need to add here in this thread and I'll edit the first post to include it eh.

Thanks!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

cj8muel's SS and Chief has been added :thumb:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Just had the honor of marking Gdads Holiday as the....

2013 Splash of the Year!!!

Congratulations on a fantastic boat!

Status
Not open for further replies.