Starcraft on C-list/ebay!

bk7799

Cadet
bk - What are you looking for? Size, type, use......

I like to fish for anything that will bite (salmon, walleye, perch, bluegills) and duck hunt. I figured an 18' - 21' aluminum deep v would be perfect for this. I have a 1969 Starcraft 14' v now but it really can only handle 2 comfortably. Looking for an open floor plan for the most versatility and capacity for 3-5 people. Tiller or remote steer is a possibility. Use will be on inland lakes and Lake Mi mostly. I make a couple trips to the UP a year and Saginaw Bay / Lake Erie but mostly West side use. A motor year 2000 or newer for reliability. Thanks for the help.

64osby

Admiral
^^^ 5 in an 18'er would be very crowded fishing. 3 or 4 fishing in a 21'er would work. Your choice of boats was a good one for fishing. The only consideration would be a closed bow for possible rough water on the big lakes.

Did some Salmon fishing on Lake Michigan earlier this year. 3 of us in a 21' Lund I/O open bow. Personally would not have wanted a 4th in the boat with all the equipment.

I love the Mariners, 21'er can be hard to come by but it would be a great boat for you.

did find this one.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/5236930215.html

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Hey BWR, this dont look to bad for a larger one for the fam. Nice and open to make it your own.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/boa/5275927565.html

I am selling my 1977 aluminum 18 ft Starcraft Chieftain. This is a rare, classic, heavy duty, high sided aluminum boat. It has strong deep V designed to slice through waves and produce a very smooth ride in tough conditions. It would make an excellent off shore boat or large lake boat. The hull is in great shape for its age with only a few surficial scratches and one small relatively shallow dent. The boat needs new plywood for the transom. The transom is very accessible so its a very easy straight forward job. It will probably need new floors in the next year or so which is also not too difficult due to the design of the boat (For Information on this Google - iboats.com Starcraft forum Chieftain restoration). It would make an excellent project boat for someone looking to be ready for the spring runs. The boat comes with a high quality galvanized trailer that is in great shape. The trailer has new tires, hubs, bearings and bearing buddies. The boat also comes with a marine radio, bilge pump, anchor, aluminum gas tank, the original cabin cushions, one gallon of Gluvit (resin used to seal rivets on aluminum boats/see iboats.com Starcraft forum) steering wheel and gear box, new electrical wiring, life preservers, fire extinguisher, dock line and many extra items to help get this boat ready for the water. I am selling the boat and trailer (No motor) for $1600.

Well guys, this one broke my heart last night!

I'd emailed the seller earlier in the week and got more information. All sounded good. So the plan was to leave here tonight after my wife got home from work and make a road trip to go check it out. Part of the fun of the trip was so that my wife and boy could finally get outside of Florida after arriving here in the US over 3 years ago. And they'd get to see the fall color changes as well. Bonus!

I had to do some things to generate extra cash and did that this week. Got all our ducks in a row last night and I called the seller to get his address and set final details. Still sounded good and he was trying to also sell me some old Gluvit that he had on hand. But as he talked, he casually mentioned that HE DOESN'T HAVE LEGAL TITLE TO THE BOAT!! :yell: I am totally bummed. :apologetic:

That "no title" info wasn't in the ad, nor had he mentioned it in our prior emails. He rambled on about how he bought it from a kid whose dad had gotten it from his boss or something but the dad had died and he had a copy of an obituary and on and on... and the "dad" changed to "grandfather" back and forth a couple times. Said he had a paper trail of old titles but the boat was last titled in Texas. Pretty iffy. The seller told me that he'd email me everything he had last night so that I could take it to the Florida DMV today and get an opinion on whether or not I'd be able to get a legitimate title.

Never heard from the seller again.

Seriously, I'm bummed. We were really looking forward to the road trip and a nice Chieftain to customize. Heck, I'd already done some photo editing to "repaint" and "repower" the boat. Was having a lot of fun till the wind left my sails. :mad:

00w0w_6GyVLm6OyOJ_600x450.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Sorry it didnt work out. There will be another.

Might take a little of the extra road trip boat buying money you made this week and drive north anyway.

I just spent a long weekend at a cabin in the woods on a lake. Fishing was lousy and even though it was a primary purpose of the trip, still had a great weekend.

Dont forget, as in life, so it is w boats: sometimes its not the destination (buying the Cheiftain), but the trip ;)

Good luck

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Sorry it didnt work out. There will be another.

Might take a little of the extra road trip boat buying money you made this week and drive north anyway.

I just spent a long weekend at a cabin in the woods on a lake. Fishing was lousy and even though it was a primary purpose of the trip, still had a great weekend.

Dont forget, as in life, so it is w boats: sometimes its not the destination (buying the Cheiftain), but the trip ;)

Good luck
Yeah, it was my bad. I should have done my due diligence in the beginning and asked about the title then like I normally do. But with all the great pix and emails and whatnot it never occurred to me that there was a title issue. But who knows what the weekend might bring, eh?

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Dang sorry to hear! What floridas thing with titling an untitled boat? If there is any hin attatched somewhere on the boat can it be ran? If not, whats the rules on getting it titled? Maybe as home built? As for the trailer, have a cop come by to run that number to make sure it isnt stolen. If it has one. If the seller can provide both, with pics, maybe a phone call can get them to run it before the trip?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Dang sorry to hear! What floridas thing with titling an untitled boat? If there is any hin attatched somewhere on the boat can it be ran? If not, whats the rules on getting it titled? Maybe as home built? As for the trailer, have a cop come by to run that number to make sure it isnt stolen. If it has one. If the seller can provide both, with pics, maybe a phone call can get them to run it before the trip?
I'm not worried about the trailer part of the deal at all. I've got that covered.

Florida is very strict about boat titles and such because of the high transient population we have here and all the zillions of boats that come and go from the state every year. As a result, the authorities treat any boat without a legitimate title (or registration from non-title states) as stolen.

I did more research today and it sounds to me like the seller has totally legit ownership. He contacted me after my post this morning and gave me some more good info to check out. And he'd previously contacted the GA boat agency and was told that he could legally sell the boat in GA... to another GA resident because GA is okay with the documentation he has. It's Florida that's the obstacle.

So I researched more and it sounds to me like the absolute simplest way to handle this is for him to just register the boat in GA in his name. Once that's done all I need is a good bill of sale and the registration documents. I can take those to the Florida DMV and get a title and registration here, no problemo.

Emailed the seller this afternoon with that suggestion and am currently awaiting a reply.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Good luck on this workaround. It sounds like a good plan and would prove he is actually the legal owner and save you a lot of hassle. Is all the removed aluminum still with the boat?

Ron

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Not one single boat owner in Georgia has legal title to a boat. The state does not issue titles.

I'm out of my league here, but if he has current registration documents and you get a notarized bill of sale, surely Florida would recognize it as a legal boat. Peeps must buy and sell boats along the GA/FL border, crossing state lines.

I take it that the boat registration isn't current.

GA_Boater

Yeah - That's the ticket.

BWR - Send me a PO Box # and I'll pack the boat in USPS Flat Rate boxes. You will have a chance to customize the Chieftain because assembly will be required. Lots of assembly. :D

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Good luck on this workaround. It sounds like a good plan and would prove he is actually the legal owner and save you a lot of hassle. Is all the removed aluminum still with the boat?

Ron

From the pix I've seen, all the aluminum is still there. Hoping to get this thing worked out. :)

Not one single boat owner in Georgia has legal title to a boat. The state does not issue titles.

I'm out of my league here, but if he has current registration documents and you get a notarized bill of sale, surely Florida would recognize it as a legal boat. Peeps must buy and sell boats along the GA/FL border, crossing state lines.

I take it that the boat registration isn't current.
Yah, I'd mentioned in an earlier post that the boat is currently titled/registered in Texas. But according to GA, that doesn't matter because with his current paperwork he's the legal owner according to GA law and he can sell/register it in GA. Hence the idea of him getting it registered there so that we can move forward.

GA, You need to step up and buy the boat. ;)

Then let BWR have it. :D

I like it!! :D

Yeah - That's the ticket.

BWR - Send me a PO Box # and I'll pack the boat in USPS Flat Rate boxes. You will have a chance to customize the Chieftain because assembly will be required. Lots of assembly. :D

Please include reassembly diagrams and instructions!! And reevits... lots and lots of reevits!! :laugh:

GA_Boater

Since Texas is a title state, the problem should be nonexistent for FL. If he is the Texas title holder, all he has to do is sign the title, give you a notarized BOS and the last rego paperwork from Texas. People move all over the country.

Finally I can comment on one of these title questions since I am familiar with both states.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Since Texas is a title state, the problem should be nonexistent for FL. If he is the Texas title holder, all he has to do is sign the title, give you a notarized BOS and the last rego paperwork from Texas. People move all over the country.

Finally I can comment on one of these title questions since I am familiar with both states.
Ya'll need to go back to the prior page and read post #f10105... lots more info there about the circumstances. :D

And for everybody...

Anyway, I'm all done now. Finished. Kaput. Not gonna happen. Got more emails from the seller a short while ago and it turns out that it's even more complicated than I thought. Definitely time for me to move on.

And me sitting here with a big ol' pile of cash and all. :couch2:

Something good is bound to come along. Patience and whatnot. Keep an eye out for that special boat on c-list for me! :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Better to find out about BEFORE you hit the road.

That boat has no splash well ! You had better have a good bilge pump, running all of the time !!
The splash well is included with the boat but isn't shown in any of the pictures.

The bottom line with this TX titled boat is that the seller is not a GA resident and the TX title is not in his name but he has a bill of sale and other provenance which is acceptable for GA registration, but only for a GA resident.

His primary residence is FL. He travels for work and splits his time in FL, TX and GA as a temporary resident. But his home of record is FL.

So even though he is living in GA right now, he can't register the boat in GA at all but is able to legally sell it to a GA resident with the paperwork he has. The GA resident would then be able to get it registered in GA. And that registration plus a good bill of sale would allow the GA resident to sell it to a FL resident who would then be able get it legally titled and registered in FL.

And there is also a possible way to get a title from TX but it's time consuming, expensive, requires purchase of a surety bond and other legal stuff which isn't worth the price of that hull. The bond amount is 150% of the boat value, plus the fees! And I'm not sure that option is even available to a TX non-resident!

Complicated, right? :faint2:

Anybody in GA wanna be a go-between and buy a boat so I can get it down here?!? I'll pay ya a case of beer! :lol: